SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deferments - Need a couple of power-lifters, here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Chamberlain
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a letter back that stated that the policy on the length of deferments was not uniform and that all he could say about Kerry's deferments was what was shown on the written record - five deferments. I still have trouble making any real sense out of the dates, which were not explained any further in the second letter. He also could offer no explanation about why the draft board at Newburyport took over administration of Kerry's record. I requested Kerry's record from Concord, but have not yet gotten any answer on that. If I don't hear back on that within a few weeks, I plan to follow up.

Useful anti-Kerry campaign material at:
http://www.betrayed-vietnam-vet.info
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great research work Bob
Bernard Cullen
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eureka!! I got it! Reply with quote

Bob Chamberlain wrote:
Selective service came through!! A whole lot faster than I had expected. Kerry did get several student deferments (2-S).

Details:

"The National Archives and Records Administration has located Mr. Kerry's official Agency record; it is enclosed.

Excellent job. Let's keep piling up the facts and bury Mr Kerry under his half-truths, distortions and lies.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this and thought it was a credable reason for the Newburyport draft board.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1198710/posts

To: Pikamax
Kerry's website claims he "enlisted" and "volunteered". But he asked his draft board to allow him to study in France before he "enlisted" and "volunteered".
The DD Form 214 on his website for the time he was in Officer Candidate School in Newport, Rhode Island lists his address as being on Indian Hill Road in Groton, Massachusetts. He had been living in Cambridge. Yet, his draft board is listed as Board #59 in Newburyport, Massachusetts. Why was that his draft board when it's over an hour away from both Groton and Cambridge?

A little known fact is that the sons of the rich and famous often registered from an address -- such as the one in Newburyport -- which had large numbers of sons of working class people who graduated high school and volunteered. Why did the sons of the rich do this? Because each volunteer reduced the draft quota on the specific board by one. In theory it would be possible for a draft board that had a large number of young men volunteer to avoid the draft to have to draft no one in any given month.

I wonder if that's why Kerry's draft board was so far from either of his residences before he entered the Navy.

SBD
Bob Chamberlain
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting thought. I have searched long and hard to try to find out exactly when Kerry's parents moved to Groton. There are solid indications that this happened before April of 1964, when Kerry "showed up" at the Newburyport draft board, but I have never been able to establish a firm date. And of course, Kerry was down at Yale at the time, even further from Newburyport than Groton is. I have thought that perhaps his parents were living temporarily near Newburyport (after returning from Europe), before moving finally to Groton.

But the thought that registering at a "blue collar" draft board was an innovative means of avoiding the draft is very interesting. Does anybody know anything about Newburyport? Is this a "blue collar" area? Was there a higher percentage of volunteers from this area than from Massachusetts as a whole?

Useful anti-Kerry campaign material at:
http://www.betrayed-vietnam-vet.info
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this might give you some insight on how the lottery worked and the lengths people went to get deferments. It is a very interesting read.

Rocky Mountain News (Denver, CO) October 5, 1998, Monday,

Copyright 1998 Denver Publishing Company
Rocky Mountain News (Denver, CO)

October 5, 1998, Monday,

SECTION: LIFESTYLES/SPOTLIGHT; Ed. F; Pg. 3D
LENGTH: 3041 words

HEADLINE: FEELING THE DRAFT;
LOTTERY 'WINNERS' AND 'LOSERS' PONDER THE WEIGHT OF THEIR FATE

BYLINE: Mark Wolf; Rocky Mountain News Staff Writer

BODY:
They were numbers and letters that defined a generation - 1-A, 1-O, 2-S, 1-Y, 4-F, 1-H. They formed a code - ''in'' or ''out'' of the military draft and, for many, the war in Southeast Asia.

During the Vietnam War era, the draft created a life-changing mosaic for nearly all Americans, but particularly for young men: lotteries from 1969 to 1972 that few wanted to win, student deferments, flights to Canada, induction physicals, maladies real and imagined and crises of both conscience and convenience. Of the 1,766,910 men drafted and inducted into military service from 1964 to 1973, 14,903 were from Colorado. The draft's peak was in 1966, when 382,010 men were inducted; the low point was 303 in 1973, when the draft ended and the United States converted to an all-volunteer Army. According to the National Archives and Records Administration, 620 Coloradans died in the Vietnam War. ''Until the time the war became very unpopular in 1968, the idea of a draft had widespread support,'' said Robert Schulzinger, professor of history and director of the international affairs program at the University of Colorado. ''People thought it was a socially equitable way of recruiting soldiers. ''The cynicism arose when people discovered it was arbitrary, almost accidental, whether you were in the military or not. If you took any effort to avoid service, you were able to do that in a perfectly legal and acceptable way. ''The sense of betrayal that some men had often came after they came home: 'Why was I endangered in a war while somebody else with my credentials was never called?' It seemed to be unfair, almost random.'' The Vietnam-era draft became a political issue for Bill Clinton, Dan Quayle and, more recently, Colorado Treasurer Bill Owens, Republican candidate for governor, who told a reporter he hadn't used a student deferment to avoid the draft. Owens did use a deferment and later said he had forgotten whether he missed military service because his number wasn't called or because of a deferment. Many who lived through the era have vivid memories of the draft, whether or not they served in Vietnam. When we solicited your memories of those days, we heard from those eager to serve their country, reluctant warriors, conscientious objectors and lottery ''winners'' and ''losers.''

MARK ROCKWELL / 'WINNING' FAIR AND SQUARE

As a sophomore at Washburn University in Topeka, Kan., in 1969, Mark Rockwell participated in two anti-war demonstrations: one on campus, the other, which he and one of his professors organized, at the state capitol. ''I was anti-war - not a pacifist or a revolutionary, just against that particular war,'' he said. ''It was a great time to be young and interested in the big picture and what was going on in the world, a time of tremendous ferment. Comparing it to now, everything seems so calm. In the paper then you would read every day about battles in Vietnam and sometimes battles on the campuses. Contrast that today, where we're embarrassed to read about the sexual escapades of the president.'' His draft number was 216; his best friend's was 232. They discovered that if they dropped their deferrments but weren't picked, they would be reclassified 1-H and wouldn't be drafted. Calculating that their local draft board's needs wouldn't go as high as their numbers, they wrote their draft board, dropped their student deferments and were reclassified 1-A. ''It took our breath away, but about Jan. 10 our new draft cards arrived: 1-H,'' Rockwell said. ''With it came a sea change in life. I was free. I was loose. I promptly dropped out of college, tuned in and turned on. Life became rock concerts, parties, crashing, hitchhiking coast to coast. ''Did I feel like I was experiencing undeserved freedom because other young men my age were going to Vietnam? No. I viewed the lottery as a way to put some fairness into the system. There were always stories circulating about well-connected young men who were getting around draft boards, not through regulations but through favors. It was just the luck of the draw.'' After two years he returned to college, a much more serious student than he'd been before. He graduated, worked at a tire factory to pay off his student loans and eventually graduated from law school. Then, the one-time war protestor joined the Navy. ''It's ironic that my first job out of law school was with the judge advocate general's corps in the Navy,'' he said. ''I had been anti-war but never anti-military. It was a superb experience, the most interesting work I've done as a lawyer and a tremendously eye-opening experience.'' Rockwell is now a Denver attorney.

BILL RUSSELL / 'DEAD IN THE WATER'

Bill Russell and his friend Tony were sitting in the cafeteria at DeVry Institute of Technology, in Chicago, ''drinking a nasty cup of vending-machine coffee'' when the first draft lottery numbers were drawn in 1969. ''You don't forget about your draft days,'' Russell said. ''The day the little ping-pong ball decides your fate will stay with you forever. ''Tony's birthday came up No. 1. It ended up he had a heart condition and didn't have to go. I was a little luckier: 134. It bought me a little time, but not much. I remember a job interview with Westinghouse, and the first thing they always asked was your draft status. I told him mine and he said, 'You're dead in the water, son.' Nice comment for an almost-draftee.'' He graduated in June 1970, and his draft notice followed swiftly. He knew there was no question about whether he was going, only when and to which branch. ''I was born and raised in Kentucky, and my family's been in the military forever,'' he said. ''My grandfather was in World War I, my father was in World War II, I had uncles in Korea and cousins in Vietnam. Down there, a military person, a veteran, is really highly respected. The things you read that happened to guys who came back from Vietnam didn't happen in that part of the country.'' He enlisted in the Air Force, trained at Denver's Lowry Air Force Base and spent a year in Vietnam as a weapons-control technician with the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing. His group, known as ''The Wolfpack,'' was credited by Bob Hope for being the ''largest distributor of MiG parts in Southeast Asia.'' After his discharge he returned to Denver, and he works as an electrical designer with the Department of Energy. ''It is still a sore spot when the topic comes up about people who chose not to serve, but that was their right,'' he said. ''It gets even worse when they would criticize those who did serve.''

INFOBOX (1) SELECTIVE SERVICE CLASSIFICATIONS, 1948-76

1-A - Available for military service 1-A-O - Conscientious objector available for noncombatant military service 1-D - Member of a reserve component or student taking military training 1-H - Not currently subject to processing for induction 1-O - Conscientious objector available for civilian work 2-A - Deferred because of civilian occupation 2-C - Deferred because of agricultural occupation 2-D - Deferred because of study in preparation for the ministry 2-M - Deferred for medical study 2-S - Deferred because of activity in study (generally, college deferment) 3-A - Deferred because of children or extreme hardship to dependents 4-A - Completed service or sole surviving son 4-C - Alien 4-D - Minister or divinity student 4-F - Not qualified for military service 4-G - Sole surviving son 5-A - Over the age of liability for military service

INFOBOX (2) Luck of the draw

I'll never forget sitting in front of the TV the first time the government was having the lottery for the draft. See, I am an identical twin born after midnight and my brother was born before midnight the day before. My brother's draft number was 56; mine was 258. He was drafted within two weeks and served in the Army, and I stayed home. Our relationship has never been the same. Somehow he blamed me. Go figure. - Patrick Vann, Boulder

When I graduated from high school in 1967, I passed up a college scholarship because I was tired of school and instead joined the U.S. Navy. After boot camp and 18 months of training at the U.S. Navy's Guided Missile School, I was stationed on board submarines for five years. When my parents received my draft notice, my father returned it to the draft board with a note that said, ''You can contact Floyd on board the USS John Marshall, which is submerged somewhere in either the Atlantic or Arctic ocean, and I'm sure he would agree to come home and meet with you.'' My parents never heard back from the draft board, and neither did I. - Floyd Bilderback

I was married on Feb. 17, 1968. I thought, since I had graduated from North High School the year before, I wasn't going to be called up. The afternoon after the wedding I went back to my parents' house to pick up some clothes, and my aunt was waiting for me outside the front door. She handed me an inch-thick envelope and said, ''Honey, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on your wedding day.'' It was my draft notice. Some wedding present. I served in Vietnam for 11 months, in Germany for 19 months and did two years stateside. When I returned from Vietnam I came through Seattle. I had my uniform on, and war protesters would call us baby-killers. If they only knew what we had been through. I'm proud that I did my duty. - Jerry Percell, Arvada

The way to pass away two hours of guard duty in the middle of Vietnam on a rainy night was thinking about life ''back in the world.'' Sitting on the side of a mountain, staring down a trail that had had a lot of recent activity, there I was, shivering, dirty and scared as hell. Suddenly, something poked me in my back, instantly bringing me back to where I was. Eyes big as silver dollars, I slowly turned around to see a wet-faced gunny (gunnery sergeant). He quietly whispered in my ear, ''What's your birthday?'' I told him and he quietly crawled away. The next morning the squad was sitting in a close circle eating our canned breakfast between raindrops. Gunny came over to us and told us that they picked ping-pong balls on TV back home last night. He smiled and said my number was the third one picked out of 366. Gunny got everybody laughing when he said to me, ''With luck like that, Jackson, you're liable to end up in Vietnam.'' - Lee Jackson, Littleton

Who is Hollie Sternberg and where has she gone? For those of us in Denver, that name brought bone-chilling terror to the hearts of us 18-year-olds in the Class of '68. Hollie was the little lady whose signature appeared on all the Selective Service Local Board No. 3 draft cards. If you did not have this card in your possession at all times, knowingly destroyed or changed your status, you could get a $ 10,000 fine and / or five years' imprisonment. You bet we knew her name. The night of the lottery, about 20 of us got together at Nicki Konka's house and watched television as they called out the dates. No. 1 was June 17 and my heart dropped to the floor. I was born on June 18 - at 12:30 a.m. ''Thank you, God,'' I said. As the lottery went on that night, I saw fear in some of the kids I was with, for they had to go to Southeast Asia, never to return. Only a name on the black wall in Washington, D.C., reminds us who they are. As for me, joy came because the number for June 18 was 348. As for Hollie Sternberg, I never heard from her again. - Mike Malouf, Denver

I was drafted on April Fool's Day, 1966. A lot of the draft-age men I knew went to college or got married so they could dodge the service. I went to basic training and advanced to infantry training. My orders to Vietnam were pulled, and I went to Germany instead. It was out of my control, but to this day I feel guilty toward the good friends I made who went to Vietnam and did not come home alive. When I was discharged in 1968, I could not believe the response toward the vets. To say it nicely, the vets were treated terribly. I had to fight to get my job back. - George Melick, Longmont

I was attending the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, secure in my activities against this (and any) war and holding a 2-S deferment. My draft number was 19, and my GPA dropped below required levels. Near the end of October I received a new draft card with the 1-A status. When I called my draft board, the woman explained that the board would meet in the month of my birthday to confirm my status. My ideologies where strongly against going to war, and my intense fear drove me to create alternatives. Canada was my decision. I informed my parents and received their support. I made plans to move to Canada after Christmas but made one last call to the draft board. I explained to the woman who answered that I was going to Canada and that if she could help in any way she would prevent a distancing of a family and perhaps a tragedy. Two weeks later I received my 2-S in the mail. I never phoned to say ''thank you,'' as I was sure she removed my poor transcripts from the file. I did not want her to get arrested nor me to lose my 2-S. I tell the story now almost 30 years later in order to say, ''Thank you for saving my life.'' - Thomas Neuville, Lebanon, Pa.

I was in college and drew No. 49. I lost my student deferment and figured I was destined for 'Nam. Since I was in premed, I talked to all branches of the services to find out which one had the best medical program. I enlisted in the Navy, took the physical and actually had to convince the Navy docs my flat feet and varicose veins didn't cause me a problem. Before I shipped out, I got my ''Greetings'' from the Army. I spoke to them about my upcoming enlistment in the Navy; I hadn't taken the oath yet. ''You're taking our physical, and if you pass, you're going.'' The Army docs took one look at my feet and legs and - 4-F. Now the Navy had second thoughts: If the Army doesn't want you, son, then we really don't, either. I hadn't registered for the second semester at college, because I thought I was a goner, so here I was rejected by both the Navy and the Army and my friends and family threw me a going-away party. I wound up finding a job in the early computer industry; I liked it, changed majors and the rest is history. - Dave Jerzycki, Loveland

I initially had a deferment because I was attending Western State College, but after two years I decided not to go back and I was drafted two weeks after school started. Since I was in California at the time, I applied for a transfer of my draft station, which delayed the process for 30 days, during which time I joined the Navy. I served three years, eight months, two days, 12 hours and two minutes (approximately), mostly aboard nuclear submarines in the Pacific. The most ironic thing of this entire time is that most of us did things to avoid or delay the draft to avoid being killed in action. I was successful at the latter - only to be nearly killed when I was shot twice while sitting in my car at a traffic light after being home for four years. - Stephen Fisher, Denver

In 1970 I received a lottery number of 119 and was classified 1-A. I was going to the University of Utah that fall. One of my first stops was the Selective Service office so I could get a 2-S deferment. The secretary was a very attractive twentysomething. She told me that this was an election year and that she doubted my number would be called. As the numbers inched higher and higher I visited her again and again. Finally, on the last day school was open before Christmas break, she had me sign the paper for my deferment and told me that she would turn it in if my number was called. The call stopped at 116 that year. If she's out there somewhere, I owe her. - Divya DeGarde, Boulder

I suppose it's just a sign of the times when you ask your readers about draft dodgers' experiences, considering we have a draft dodger in the White House. Shame on them and you. I served willingly in the Marines for four years and saw combat in Vietnam. I suppose you think it's cute to avoid military service! I think it's cowardly. - Bruce Tucker, Lakewood

Like cattle on their way to slaughter at Fort Wayne, near downtown Detroit, we were ordered to strip to our shorts and were given a paper sack for carrying our wallets, change and car keys. During the urine test I spotted an old high school buddy who announced with delight that he was about to lock in a 4-F deferment because he had a case of the ''clap.'' I immediately extended my arm with cup in hand and positioned it under him. Soon, a half-dozen extended arms were jockeying like mad in hopes of filling their cups with disease-riddled urine. Between the bumping and his poor aim, few cups captured the precious specimen. We passed the urine test, but not before we all rushed to find a sink to rinse off our arms. Within a week I was classified 1-A. Shortly after came the announcement of the draft lottery. By the time the first 50 balls were drawn, two of my fraternity brothers were already toast. One of them was so despondent that he later shot off two of his toes within days after receiving his letter to report for duty. I lucked out with No. 351. Kind of made me forget all about the ordeal at Fort Wayne and my wet arm. - Paul Spoutz, Aurora

I graduated from Aurora Central in 1966 and went directly to Colorado State University. I was enjoying college when I received a letter from my draft board that I was being reassigned 1-A. I thought about the possibility of evading the draft and going to Canada, but being a loyal American, I went to the physical. I passed the physical with flying colors, and they told me I would be receiving my papers to report for duty within 30 days. What happened next I have never been able to explain. The notice never came. I called the draft board and they told me to sit tight and it would arrive. It never did. I was able not only to finish college but kept the same 1-A status until I reached 32 and was dropped from the draft. To this day all I can think is that I was just not supposed to go, but I still think about how lucky I was that my life was not turned upside down by the draft and Vietnam. - Tony Tanner, Denver

NOTES:
Related color photo, photo p.1D SEE END OF TEXT FOR INFOBOX (2)

GRAPHIC: Color Photo, Photo (2);

Bill Russell of Arvada contemplates how the draft for the Vietnam War affected his life. By Steven R. Nickerson / Rocky Mountain News. NICKERSON - SHOOT DATE 1998: 9/30;

CAPTION: Mark Rockwell was not anti-military, but he opposed the Vietnam War. By Steven R. Nickerson / Rocky Mountain News. 1998: 9/30;

CAPTION: Bill Russell of Arvada displays some wartime medals and a photo of his father, who served in World War II. Russell spent a year in Vietnam with the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing. By Steven R. Nickerson / Rocky Mountain News.

LOAD-DATE: October 7, 1998

SBD
Bernard Cullen
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Why was that his draft board when it's over an hour away from both Groton and Cambridge?

A little known fact is that the sons of the rich and famous often registered from an address -- such as the one in Newburyport -- which had large numbers of sons of working class people who graduated high school and volunteered. Why did the sons of the rich do this? Because each volunteer reduced the draft quota on the specific board by one. In theory it would be possible for a draft board that had a large number of young men volunteer to avoid the draft to have to draft no one in any given month.

I wonder if that's why Kerry's draft board was so far from either of his residences before he entered the Navy.

SBD

Newburyport in the early 60s was indeed a blue collar town. It was also the site of a famous sociological study by a YALE professor, Lloyd Warner, titled Yankee City. I have no idea what courses Kerry took at Yale but I suspect that any Social Science course taken at Yale would have alerted Kerry to the make-up of the smallest city in Massachusetts: It was a Mill Town. It also, I believe, had a well-entrenched democratic machine courtesy of Bossy Gillis, a Mayor of Newburyport who ran the city from Middleton Jail during the 30s!

The cherry picking of a Draft Board by Kerry is an interesting idea and one that could be explored.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAS anyone checked property records in any of these towns to see when Kerry's parents bought or sold a house? these are sometimes on computer.... they are out here in AZ - we can look up an address and find out when sold, price etc.... buy and sellers' names....
if not on computer, maybe someone lives around there ? from the forum, I mean (of course people LIVE around there) Rolling Eyes
what about that Carr guy - radio host? he's been tracking Kerry for years - or maybe he could use his show to 'ask' people from those areas how the draft worked in their areas???? Confused

if the Selective Svc says he got 5 deferments, who are we to say he didn't???? let Kerry argue it, we have 'official' documents to back 5 of them up, right? Laughing
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: