SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colonel Earl Lively - Fox & Friends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hleone
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Colonel Earl Lively - Fox & Friends Reply with quote

I missed Colonel Lively's response to ED's question about whether W attempted to volunteer for Vietnam duty while in the TANG.

Did anyone hear what Col. Lively had to say about that matter?
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: fox and friends Reply with quote

I saw him

He explained that George Bush volunteered to go to Vietnam as part of the Palace Alert program. He also explained that he was turned down because he was not experienced enough as a pilot by UDELL - sorry don't know his rank at the time.

Pete Bartow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hleone
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete,

Seems pretty important to me if Bush volunteered to go - even if he was turned down - as long as there is impeccable eyewitness testimony to that effect.

That would be great ammo to dispel the Kerry campaign's propaganda that GW was just a "fortunate son trying to avoid service and stay away from Vietnam."

Wish we could make Dan Rather admit on CBS Evening News that Colonel Lively's testimony (and the testimony of other TANG officers who were there) are reliable, that his "fake-uments" were a Kerry campaign fraud and forgery, and that his 5-yr CBS investigation has now proved that W served admirably and deserves his wholehearted apology for the false implications of the CBS story.
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: There is a witness to his volunteering Reply with quote

Quote:
February 19, 2004, 8:55 a.m.
Dubya’s Wing Men
The lessons of Vietnam were different for Bush and Kerry

Of the four pilots I spoke to who flew with Bush in the Texas days, Fred Bradley knew him best. They had met before going off to the year-long ordeal of pilot school, and entered the 111th at about the same time. Both were junior lieutenants without a lot of flying experience. But the inexperience didn't prevent Bush — along with Bradley — from going to their squadron leaders to see if they could get into a program called "Palace Alert." "There were four of us lieutenants at the time, and we were all fairly close. Two of them had more flight time than the president and me, said Bradley." All four volunteered for Vietnam (Bradley doesn't remember whether he and Bush actually signed paperwork, but he specifically remembers both Bush and himself trying to get into the Palace Alert Vietnam program.) Bush and Bradley were turned away, and the two more senior pilots went to Vietnam.

Quote:
At Height of Vietnam, Bush Picks Guard

George W. Bush, right, during his Harvard Business School years. (Harvard Yearbook)

By George Lardner Jr. and Lois Romano
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, July 28, 1999; Page A1

"Had my unit been called up, I'd have gone . . . to Vietnam," Bush said. "I was prepared to go."

But there was no chance Bush's unit would be ordered overseas. Bush says that toward the end of his training in 1970, he tried to volunteer for overseas duty, asking a commander to put his name on the list for a "Palace Alert" program, which dispatched qualified F-102 pilots in the Guard to the Europe and the Far East, occasionally to Vietnam, on three- to six-month assignments.

He was turned down on the spot. "I did [ask] – and I was told, 'You're not going,' " Bush said.

Only pilots with extensive flying time – at the outset, 1,000 hours were required – were sent overseas under the voluntary program. The Air Force, moreover, was retiring the aging F-102s and had ordered all overseas F-102 units closed down as of June 30, 1970.

http://www.shotinthedark.info/archives/003799.html

Quote:
Fred Bradley, a friend of Bush's who was also serving in the Texas ANG, reported that he and Bush inquired about participating in the Palace Alert program. However, the two were told by a superior, MAJ Maurice Udell, that they were not yet qualified since they were still in training and did not have the 500 hours of flight experience required. Furthermore, ANG veteran COL William Campenni, who was a fellow pilot in the 111th FIS at the time, told the Washington Times that Palace Alert was winding down and not accepting new applicants.

[url][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: