SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS President Heyward internal e-mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: CBS President Heyward internal e-mail Reply with quote

Andrew Heyward Internal E-Mail to CBS News Employees
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5.htm
Mon Sep 20 2004 13:25:11 ET

Dear CBS News Colleagues,

Many of you have expressed understandable concern about the disputed documents used in the 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY report on President Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard.

Obviously, 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY had full confidence in the original report or it would not have aired. However, in the wake of serious and disturbing questions that came up after the broadcast, CBS News has done extensive additional reporting in an effort to confirm the documentsÕ authenticity. That included interviews with Marian Carr Knox, secretary to the late Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, the officer named as the author of the documents; an interview with Bill Burkett, the former Guard officer who provided the memos to 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY; and a further review of the forensic evidence on both sides of the debate.

Based on what we now know, CBS News cannot prove that the documents are authentic, which is the only acceptable journalistic standard to justify using them in the report. We should not have used them. That was a mistake, which we deeply regret.

CBS News and CBS management are commissioning an independent review of the process by which the report was prepared and broadcast to help determine what actions need to be taken. The names of the people conducting the review will be announced shortly, and their findings will be made public.

Nothing is more important to us than our credibility and keeping faith with the millions of people who count on us for fair, accurate, reliable, and independent reporting. I know all of you work tirelessly to be worthy of that trust. I hope today's public statements about the documents are an important first step in restoring YOUR confidence in the standards and systems we have in place to ensure that we live up to our obligations to our viewers, listeners, and readers -- and to one another.

Thanks
Andrew

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry

Last edited by GoEagles on Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEMO

To: "Andrew"
RE: CYA

Glad to hear we didn't set out to "dupe" anyone.

Yeah.

Right.

Kiss my @$$, "Andrew." I resign, effective immediately.

(Answering memo that should be sent by employees at C?BS!, but won't.)
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
an interview with Bill Burkett, the former Guard officer who provided the memos to 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY;

Ouch!! That is going to hurt a number of people, including some Highly Placed Democrats who have confirmed they reffered Burkett to the Kerry Campaign!!
Someone made themselves a bed of nails and will now have to sleep in it!!
GoEagles, where did this come frome? Is it Legitimate?
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th wrote:
Quote:
an interview with Bill Burkett, the former Guard officer who provided the memos to 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY;

Ouch!! That is going to hurt a number of people, including some Highly Placed Democrats who have confirmed they reffered Burkett to the Kerry Campaign!!

Came from DrudgeReport - http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, just heard on Fox that Burkett is confirmed as the source!! Oh someone is going to pay dearly!!
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Burkett, a retired National Guard lieutenant colonel, also admits that he deliberately misled the CBS News producer working on the report, giving her a false account of the documents' origins to protect a promise of confidentiality to the actual source," network spokeswoman Kelli Edwards said in the statement.
(source: FoxNews)

The problem here is that SeeBSNews seems to think that the right to protecting one's journalist sources also extends to Mr. Burkett - when in fact, Mr. Burkett, since he obviously knew the documents were false, has indicated that he KNOWINGLY falsified a government document, and he should be hauled into court and made to testify WHO created these documents.

Anyone want to bet me that it WASN'T someone at the DNC????
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The email contains: 'Based on what we now know, CBS News cannot prove that the documents are authentic...'. I've heard that phrase over and over on TV today. Why don't we hear: the documents have been proved to be fakes, forgeries, etc.? This we already know. Does this mean sea B.S. is going to go forward in trying to prove their authenticity?
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Rather was purportedly on this story for FIVE YEARS and they just NOW do the 'additional checking' necessary to decide they cannot authenticate the documents? Give me a break.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Heyward quote "keeping faith with the millions of people who count on us for fair; accurate,reliable, and independent reporting".

Who the heck does he think he's kidding ??

You don't need an independent review to tell us WHO is responsible!

You don"t need an independent review to determine what actions need to be taken!

YOU Mr HEYWARD, along with DAN RATHER, MARY MAPES, and JOHN ROBERTS held meetings and decided to go forward with this fraud.

The action that needs to be taken is the FIRING of all four of you!
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th wrote:
Quote:

Who are the people in the Kerry campaign that referred Burkett? Anyone other than Max Clelland? If so, who and what is the source of the info. The MSM is not going to make this connection unless someone else forces the information on them. Can someone who knows the details develope the timeline and sources?
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The email contains: 'Based on what we now know, CBS News cannot prove that the documents are authentic...'. I've heard that phrase over and over on TV today. Why don't we hear: the documents have been proved to be fakes, forgeries, etc.?

Bystander, like you, I'm afraid those words mean CBS has not let go of it yet. Wonder what's to come?
Tex
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these clowns really wanted to know the truth, why haven't they interviewed Killian's wife and son? How about Staudt? Or Bush's fellow pilots?

No, instead they turn over every rock looking for anyone who will criticize the president. And all they could dig up was an 87-year old pool secretary, that loon Burkett and the criminal Barnes. Rolling Eyes

Weak.
a6502
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not a plot. Not the fault of CBS. Not BB's bad. It was a virus, yeah, a virus - that's it, written by those g*d*mn bloggers.

But the important thing is the content.

/Kool-Aide

So, CBS got the documents on WEDNESDAY! Then vouched for their authenticity! Now Dan says "Sorry". I feel so much better.

Time to vomit.
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem here is that SeeBSNews seems to think that the right to protecting one's journalist sources also extends to Mr. Burkett -

I used to be a lawyer...and as I recall briefing once, there is no federal "Shield Law." NY state (where CBS is) has one on the books, which is the familiar right to which you refer. But the feds don't. So, Dan Rather himself can be hauled into a grand jury. This Burkett guy would either fold or assert the Fifth. Either way, bad for the Dems. They ick would stick to them, or, alternatively, the story stays alive. They're running out of time.
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabba55 wrote:
They're running out of time.

How true...and I can hardly wait to see the Swift Boat Vets "Coup de Grace", final commerical.. Twisted Evil

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: