SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why can we not find these hostages?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Why can we not find these hostages? Reply with quote

Why would we allow any civilian contractor to goto Iraq and work without having a GPS chip implanted in them. At least give people the option to have it done.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Seems like something that shouldn't be too difficult.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can we not find these hostages? Reply with quote

I have been wondering the same thing. They do it for domestic animals.

GenrXr wrote:
Why would we allow any civilian contractor to goto Iraq and work without having a GPS chip implanted in them. At least give people the option to have it done.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have a Delta or Seal team in reserve for only one purpose. Hostage extraction. When someone comes up on Al Jazeera TV pleading for help the Delta/Seal team gets GPS coordinates and within 30 minutes gets the people out and kills every ******* in the area.
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was aware of identity chips for domestic animals, but had never heard of subcutaneous GPS tracking chips...I wonder what is used for an antenna, both for receiving raw satellite data and transmitting positional data...

I would think that low power GPS devices for tracking abductees would be easy for the bad guys to defeat with simple shielding.

Anyone out there familiar with this technology? It sounds interesting.
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technology you speak of does not exist for animals at this point.

We do have special forces who are responsible for managing all hostage crisis.

As to why we can't find them, I would defer to someone who has spent some time in country and can explain the urban environment in Iraq with a bit more first hand knowledge.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are RFID "radio tags". Several classes of such devices, from cheap to expensive.

Some must be scanned within a few inches, and others have a longer range.

They are typically 'passive' devices. When their antenna receives a pulse from the RFID scanner, it absorbs enough energy to power up its tiny transmitter and send a reply pulse.

I don't know of 'medium range' RFID tech exists, but if an implantable RFID had a scan range of maybe 100 yards (even this much range might not be particularly practical, dunno)--

If the hostage was imprisoned in a city, soldiers could drive up-n-down every dam street in the city, and eventually scan the hostage. Or maybe do a criss-cross search pattern with helicopter or Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.

=====

As far as a GPS communicator-- Garmin makes some pretty small walkie-talkie GPS gadgets. Optimistically a five mile range. Small for toting in yer pocket, but absolutely huge for human implantation (GRIN).

My tiny Garmin hiking GPS runs a max of 24 hours on Lithium batteries, and its internal patch antenna is useless indoors or even under summer tree foliage. If you wanna navigate in dense, hilly woods with few clearings, better go hiking in the late Fall thru early Spring or the gadget is useless.

Maybe the military could make (or already owns) Transponder-GPS gadgets small enough to implant, and sensitive enough to work indoors or underground. Bet they would be expensive! Also, no matter how miserly in power consumption, how are ya gonna give it a big enough battery for long-term operation?

If the transponder is always-on, a halfway smart terrorist could find it with a scanner. Terrorists would likely just hack it out with a rusty knife and no anaesthesia.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chips are a great idea. I still wonder how they cannot be found though. Unless they hold people in the same sort of rat holes we found Sad-dam in.
But even then, I would want to believe our intelligence could find them.
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCJR wrote:
Terrorists would likely just hack it out with a rusty knife and no anaesthesia.

you said what I was thinking...
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveL wrote:
JCJR wrote:
Terrorists would likely just hack it out with a rusty knife and no anaesthesia.

you said what I was thinking...

That is the obvious downside of any biometric security device. No thanks, I'll keep my old fashioned locks and keys.

OK, if your house has a thumbprint scanner lock-- Some burglar catches you out-- He only has to cut off yer thumb to rob yer house.

If its not strategic to reach for a gun, much cheaper to surrender a key than a thumb (GRIN).

Retinal eye scanner lock? I don't think so...
JCBoston
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that these contracting companies should have to sign an agreement not to use contractors with wives and or children on any of their jobs.

I know it sounds harsh but what in hell are these guys thinking who have a wife and kids at home?
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iraqi Contractor LO-JACK coming soon to a survival store near you. Wanna make those big bucks without getting lost in the desert ? Get Lo-Jack for contractors. Don't leave Home (America) without it.

OK bend over, This will only hurt for a minute ! Shocked
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that these contracting companies should have to sign an agreement not to use contractors with wives and or children on any of their jobs.

I know it sounds harsh but what in hell are these guys thinking who have a wife and kids at home?

I know a contractor who has been in the middle east for 20 years. Family and all. He gets paid a LOT of money (tax-free) and is VERY good at his job.

Which is why you can't just say "Only single people". The problem is, the BEST people may be married. With families.

The contractors are NO different than the military. They have to VOLUNTEER to go to the Middle East. No one is forcing them to go. And they go with their eyes wide open. Especially now, when it is clear that the terrorists WILL behead you if they capture you.

As to what can be done, we need to stop being nice guys, and start killing ALL the known bad guys. The current ROE sucks. If the locals can NOT get the bad guys to leave their sacred temples, then smoke them out and kill them as they run. Or just drop a PAVEWAY down the smokestack and just flatten the place.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
m_drummond
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a dumb question - why aren't these people carrying weapons? I'd rather go out fighting than slaughtered like a lamb.
________
Masturbation Dildo

Last edited by m_drummond on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people have been watching too many sci-fi movies.

You can't lojack a human or a cat with a device that can be hidden within the body -- yet.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: