SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swift Vets educated me about Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Swift Vets educated me about Vietnam Reply with quote

I was born in 1969, so I was a little too young at the time.
My impressions of Vietnam were based on movies and history classes, as a result before this whole controversy I had a mistaken impression of what actually happened in Vietnam. I believe now that the war was winnable (if we had the media and people in our country behind our leaders). I also believe that the atrocities committed by the soldiers were few and far between and a majority of them served with honor and bravery and should be highly respected. I believe Kerry distorted this and as such should be branded for the coward and traitor that he is. I believe that even now you are being attacked, discounted, and discredited unfairly by the media and democrat party leaders. However, I personally see men of HONOR here. fighting a man who has none. The ranks in the military that you men achieved, the positions you held back then, the signed affidavits (under penalty of perjury?) should cause every honorable media outlet to seriously research your claims.

Keep it up swiftvets. I hope more people discover the truth and as a result respect many more of the vietnam veterans who served and the men in IRAQ who are serving now.

I am AMAZED to see how similar KERRY was back then in the VVAW and how he is now with IRAQ. Pessimism loses wars, optimism wins them. Isn't that obvious?
wvobiwan
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Absolutely Paul. Reply with quote

I too was too young to understand, born in 1963, although I had first hand experience with it when kids at school called my father a baby killer. Most of them never did it more than once....:>)

I agree with the idea about his Iraq and Vietnam behavior being very similar - it's very scary. I blogged about this morning: http://sanityanyone.blogspot.com , check it out.
bsjracing
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in 1969 as well, I was just a toddler when Kerry was galavanting with the VC in Paris.

I too had twisted images of Viet Nam and am just now learning the truth.

Thanks to all who served, as an American, I'm sorry for the reception you got when you came home.

If you're going to burn the US flag, at least have the decency to wrap yourself in it first.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, people. It's about time the record was set straight and the truth was told. With enough open-minded people such as yourselves, maybe this can be done now and a lot of old wounds healed. Wecome aboard and I, for one, appreciate the feedback. Kerry was one of the major causes of many of us receiving the type of "welcome home" reception that we did. It's too late to make amends for that, but we can prevent it from happening to our troops currently serving overseas, and that would be good enough for me.
Well, that and seeing Kerry humiliated and driven out of politics. Laughing
Thank you for being interested enough to help, tell your friends.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN It warms my heart to see the wrongs of the past being corrected. We can not let this opportunity to have history corrected pass us by. We should track down every text book that wrongfully depicts the Vietnam chapter of our history and file a libel suit against the authors and publishers. At the very least we should make an effort to have these fairy tells re classified as fiction.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot be too young (or too old) to learn about Vietnam, Korea, WWII, or WWI. The more I learn about our Vets, the more in AWE I am.

Thanks again Vets.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Understanding more ... Reply with quote

After watching "We were Soldiers Once" last night I understood a little more the resentment and anger towards Senator Kerry that our soldiers, veterans and their families have towards him. In the special features section of that DVD, Colonel Moore is recorded as saying to the reporters after the Ia Drang battle to go back to the US and tell of the bravery his soldiers showed and the ultimate sacrifice made on the field of battle.
Six years later Lt(jg) Kerry told the complete opposite & disparaged these heroic actions & sacrifices (Ia Drang) and those made there-after through his testimony and actions in the VVAW.
I grew up during the VietNam War and what I learned of the War I learned from CBS and the likes of other stations such as CBS. Older now & savy of the information one can obtain (if one desires), via the internet, I've learned more of the VietNam War and more importantly, what wasn't completely told during that time.

Thank you SwiftVets!

(I was lottery draft eligible in '71 (95 was the highest # they went up to that year & 143 was my draft #)
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I was lottery draft eligible in '71 (95 was the highest # they went up to that year & 143 was my draft #)

Read up on Nixon, you might change your opinion of him, too. Very Happy
92g
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in 63, and I'm also thankful to the the Swifites, and this forum for helping me learn about more Vietnam.

I more or less had the same distored opinion about the war, and Vietnam Vets. I'm ashamed to admit it. I should have known better....

Its a tragedy that Kerry, Fonda, etc..., and the,media have perpetrated such a lie for so long on our Military, Vets, and Nation.

Terry
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Thanks, people. It's about time the record was set straight and the truth was told. With enough open-minded people such as yourselves, maybe this can be done now and a lot of old wounds healed. Wecome aboard and I, for one, appreciate the feedback. Kerry was one of the major causes of many of us receiving the type of "welcome home" reception that we did. It's too late to make amends for that, but we can prevent it from happening to our troops currently serving overseas, and that would be good enough for me.
Well, that and seeing Kerry humiliated and driven out of politics. Laughing
Thank you for being interested enough to help, tell your friends.

Yes, A BIG thank you. It means more than you know. And PLEASE educate all of your friends. It is past time that the misconceptions about Vietnam are laid to rest and the soldiers who fought that war with HONOR are honored.
Becky
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Swift Vets educated me about Vietnam Reply with quote

Paul Woll wrote:

(snipped)
I believe now that the war was winnable (if we had the media and people in our country behind our leaders). I also believe that the atrocities committed by the soldiers were few and far between and a majority of them served with honor and bravery and should be highly respected. I believe Kerry distorted this and as such should be branded for the coward and traitor that he is. I believe that even now you are being attacked, discounted, and discredited unfairly by the media and democrat party leaders. However, I personally see men of HONOR here. fighting a man who has none. The ranks in the military that you men achieved, the positions you held back then, the signed affidavits (under penalty of perjury?) should cause every honorable media outlet to seriously research your claims.
(snipped)
b]

Congressmen and the media do not want to attack Kerry for his
positions then because they took the same path as Kerry and are
as guilty as Kerry for what happened to our soldiers. If they
point the finger at Kerry they know it will eventually turn on
them. Pretty much the kettle calling the pot black. The war
could've been won. The American people were behind that war
to begin with but then, as now, the media, left leaning congressmen,
anti-war communists turned the American people by bombarding
them day after day with half-truths, lies and selective reporting.
The Swift Vets and other vets are demanding their day now...and
the American people need to hear their truth because our
soldiers fighting terrorism today will face the same tragedy if
these Vets don't stop it.
join him, for then it costs nothing to be a
patriot.”
- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: