SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dan Rather should NOT resign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coatandthai
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Dan Rather should NOT resign Reply with quote

Show of hands -- who is surprised to discover that the MSM is biased towards the left? Nobody, right? Okay, who believes that if we could just replace the newsreaders like Dan ("I'm a Marine") Rather things will change? Nobody. Alright, who believes that this latest debacle will cause MSM to conduct a thorough and scathing self-analysis to purge itself of left-wing bias or intent to influence (rather than report) the news? Zero.

In my view, memo-gate is hardly a story. Sure, this time they were caught red-handed trying to influence the election via fraud. Arrogance and power inevitably leads to sloppiness in execution. But it's no different than NBC having Kitty Kelly on every day spewing checkout counter rumor on a sitting president. If you didn't already know that the MSM is bent on influencing the outcome of US elections I have no hope that you ever will. CBS and others will just be more careful for a few years, that's all.

Let Daffy Dan stay -- at least he's the enemy we know. If they replace him, maybe they'll find someone more subtle and insidious to do their dirty business of tricking viewers.[/i]
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Rather never completed boot training, shouldn't he also apologize to the world for lying about being a Marine, too?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
newsreaders like Dan ("I'm a Marine") Rather

Change that to newsreaders like Dan ("I'm a two-tour Marine") Rather and you've got it. Wink
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this is standard method of operation for the main stream media.

The only difference is that this one got more spotlight because of the election. Most of the time we just sit back and dismiss it. But, maybe this started something. I do hope this was the begining of a sea change in how people look at their news and those that report it.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dan Rather Defense...as paraphrased from a call to the Neil Boortz show.

Someone digs through your trash and gets enough bits and pieces of information to steal your identity (SS number, date and place of birth, etc.). He then applies for a mortgate, and with your good credit as reported by the appropriate agencies, he is approved. He goes to the closing and signs the paperwork, at which time he is arrested for "identity theft"...fortunately for you, someone not associated with the mortgage office tipped them off that the person applying was not you. Now for the Dan Rather defense:

The identity thief claims that, although he is not actually you, you actually exist and everything in the application is valid (except the signature), the contract should be accepted as authentic because the contents are authentic; therefore, he has not done anything wrong except sign it on your behalf because you didn't show up at the signing. He intended to surprise you with your new house as soon as the papers were all signed, thus his motives were noble, so he should not be prosecuted. Shocked

....maybe you should even thank him for doing you a favor. Rolling Eyes
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not entirely in agreement with coatandthai. It is not whether RAthER gets canned or not that is important. What is important is that as many people as possible are presented with the unpleasant truth that CBS was biased to the point of trying to use forged documents to influence an election. I can tell you that MOST people who watch the MSM pretty much just mindlessly accept it. But, this is something that can be flung right in peoples' faces, and it will make an impression. It will help in this election, and it can help with the MSM audience. If the MSM keeps losing audience, it will either have to adapt, or die. (Or at least become less powerful / relevant. Sorta like Europe...)

It's just one battle of many in a long war, so to speak. But, it CAN be a significant battle, especially if the MSM can be confronted effectively and quickly every time this happens.

CBS may lose a couple affiliates in conservative areas, too, and that's a small "win", also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: