SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

signers of letter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: signers of letter Reply with quote

I am having a discussion on SBVFT with someone on another web site.
Is there somewhere that list all the signers of the letter to Kerry and what their position was during Vietnam?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a copy of the letter with all of the signers here:
http://swift4.he.net/~swift4/article.php?story=20040629220813790

There is no reference made to whether any of these people opposed the war, if that's what you're asking?

Hope that helps,
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
There is a copy of the letter with all of the signers here:
http://swift4.he.net/~swift4/article.php?story=20040629220813790

There is no reference made to whether any of these people opposed the war, if that's what you're asking?

Hope that helps,

What I was looking for was all the members that signed and where they were attached.
eg; Jhones robert QM2 PCF 99 1968 -1969
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, misunderstood your question. Wink

No, the list on this site does not include their billets and dates.

Some of them, you can look up on http://www.swiftboats.net/ - the files are incomplete and most of the email addresses are probably invalid, but there's a lot of good info on that site.
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

Some of them, you can look up on http://www.swiftboats.net/ - the files are incomplete and most of the email addresses are probably invalid, but there's a lot of good info on that site.

Thanks!,
I was there and it looks like I will have to put it together myself. If I do I will post the results.
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

I went to the swiftboats.net and compared the names there to the names signing the letter. Of the 47 names I checked, I could not find 15 names.
How were the names checked on the letter to be sure that they were Swift Boart Vets?
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Signed the letter Reply with quote

List the 15 names and I will see what I can do to help you out.
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Signed the letter Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
List the 15 names and I will see what I can do to help you out.

"Roy Alexander*
"Richard Beers*
Bob Bolger Cdr.
M.T. Boone*
Benny Boone
Carl Bowman
Robert “Friar Tuck” Brant
"Michael C. Burton
Tom Burton
James Carter
"William Colgan
James M. Corrigan
Tom Costarino
"John H. Davis
Is there a reason any of them are not on the web site?
Thanks for the help!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the original letter went out by "word of mouth," known Swiftees contacting other known Swiftees.

That web site is maintained by an individual - a volunteer chronicler of the Swifts in Vietnam. As with any other volunteer project, the process is ongoing - as with any other labor of love, a web site is never really finished, any more than a model railroad is ever really "finished."

New data continues to be added as the maintainer has time and interest and it is not an "official" web site of the Swifts in Vietnam any more than pwcarter's site is the "official site for the USS Gridley. (I have several commercial sites, two non-profits and a couple of hobby sites that I wrote and maintain, so I speak from experience. Wink )

Of the people on your list, M. T. Boone has posted on this site: in fact, checking backwards, you just replied to him with your list.

Robert "Friar Tuck" Brant recently made the news - seems Kerry called him to ask if he knew anything about "these Swift guys." Brant humorously replied, "I ARE one." With that, the call should have ended, but Kerry continued the conversation, noting to Brant, "You were always one of the best." Brant was one who used to put the sleepwalking Kerry back into his bunk. I'm sure you can find out more by googling for him, as there was quite a stink when that phone call was made public.

Of the rest of the names on your list, I don't recall anything, but perhaps you can google their names, as well and find other references on other websites. Many people have made pages regarding their time in Vietnam and you could get lucky.

Hope that helps answer your questions.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: List of signers Reply with quote

You only gave me 14 names and one Mtboone is easy cause it is me, Terry Boone listed on PCF 88 and 90. I gave them my email addy. Robert Brant PCF 36, John H. Davis PCF PCF 66 and I am still researching the others. Larry Waz's list is not complete because that it is still evolving and people being added. So, now we are down to 11. Many men do not remember what boat they were on, they have been on several or hot racked boats during their tour, we call this CRS, (Can't Remember ****) and if a person cannot confirm what boat or crew or that he served on Swifts, he does not get on his list which is not associated with the SVFT or the other Swift Boat sites. I will try to do more research but I hope you also do, and what importance is it in any way, is your friend trying to find one name who is not a Swift and that he will try to discredit all the other names? Tell him "Nice Try" and have him go get Kerry to try to equal all our signatures.
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: List of signers Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
You only gave me 14 names and one Mtboone is easy cause it is me, Terry Boone listed on PCF 88 and 90. I gave them my email addy. Robert Brant PCF 36, John H. Davis PCF PCF 66 and I am still researching the others. Larry Waz's list is not complete because that it is still evolving and people being added. So, now we are down to 11. Many men do not remember what boat they were on, they have been on several or hot racked boats during their tour, we call this CRS, (Can't Remember s**t) and if a person cannot confirm what boat or crew or that he served on Swifts, he does not get on his list which is not associated with the SVFT or the other Swift Boat sites. I will try to do more research but I hope you also do, and what importance is it in any way, is your friend trying to find one name who is not a Swift and that he will try to discredit all the other names? Tell him "Nice Try" and have him go get Kerry to try to equal all our signatures.

Thanks a lot guys! I am getting to him. When I down loaded the names and to my suprise the list had grown to 270 names. So I pointed out that only the names with the * were on the original list. His questions are getting fewer and fewer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: