SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's Chinese Assault rifle in the NYTimes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Kerry's Chinese Assault rifle in the NYTimes. Reply with quote

Could be just another tall tale from the great white hunter.
The article mentions some serious problems for Kerry in owning this
gun but then meanders off target to try to attack GWBush.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/26/politics/campaign/26guns.html

FIREARMS
In Magazine Interview, Kerry Says He Owns Assault Rifle
By JODI WILGOREN

Published: September 26, 2004

enator John Kerry, a hunter who supported the recently expired assault weapons ban, frequently tells audiences he has never met anyone who wanted to use an AK-47 to shoot a deer. But it is not clear what Mr. Kerry does with the Chinese assault rifle he told Outdoor Life magazine he kept in his personal collection.

In interviews appearing in the October issue of Outdoor Life, Mr. Kerry and President Bush were asked whether they were gun owners, and, if so, to identify their favorite gun.

Mr. Bush named the Weatherby 20 gauge (although he gave a slightly different answer in a separate chat with Field and Stream magazine.) Mr. Kerry's answer was more complicated.

"My favorite gun is the M-16 that saved my life and that of my crew in Vietnam," Mr. Kerry told the magazine. "I don't own one of those now, but one of my reminders of my service is a Communist Chinese assault rifle."

Mr. Kerry's campaign would not say what model rifle Mr. Kerry was referring to, where he got it and when, or how many guns he owned. A spokesman for the senator, Michael Meehan, said Mr. Kerry was a registered gun owner in Massachusetts. On Thursday morning, Mr. Meehan said he had not been able to ask Mr. Kerry about the rifle because of Mr. Kerry's hoarse voice; he did not respond to further inquiries.

Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association - which has given Mr. Kerry "F" ratings throughout his career and backs Mr. Bush's re-election - said the Outdoor Life comment made Mr. Kerry's support of the assault weapons ban disingenuous.

"It's O.K. for John Kerry to own these kinds of firearms, but it's not O.K. for John Q. Public?" Mr. Arulanandam said, noting that if Mr. Kerry brought the gun home from the war as a souvenir he could be subject to court-martial. "He certainly owes people an explanation as to why there's a double standard."

Stephen P. Halbrook, a gun rights lawyer who has argued several cases before the Supreme Court, said the most common Chinese assault rifles, known as SKS clones, were not among the 19 models banned under the 1994 law. But some SKS's have magazines holding more than 10 rounds, which violates a Massachusetts law against large-capacity weapons, Mr. Halbrook said. If the gun is fully automatic, Mr. Halbrook said, it is illegal in Massachusetts and would require a federal permit if Mr. Kerry kept it at one of his homes in Pennsylvania and Idaho.

Such permits are not public records.

Bob Ricker, a former N.R.A. lawyer who is now a consultant for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, said he was not worried by Mr. Kerry's answer because "he knows a lot about firearms and he's also one of the most credible individuals when it comes to talking about gun-violence prevention and what it takes to keep weapons of war off the street."

Mr. Bush does not have such high-powered weapons but seems unable to pick a consistent favorite. To Field and Stream, he said, "My favorite gun is the first gun that my dad gave me, which is a Winchester .22 pump, Model 61."

He also mentioned the Weatherby he chose for Outdoor Life, saying that it was a "custom-made gun presented to me by the C.E.O. of the company, Mr. Weatherby." Mr. Bush said he had "six or seven guns" in his office safe, including two .22's, deer rifles and a .243-caliber "varmint" rifle.

"Given to me by the former lieutenant governor of Texas, Bob Bullock, my old buddy," Mr. Bush explained of the .243-caliber rifle, "who on his deathbed said, 'I want to give you a gun.' "
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that Kerry has done alot of things that warrant jail time, but nothing ever comes of it..
Rich
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the 7.62x39 is a fairly good med range deer round with the same ballistics of the 30/30win, which has taken more whitetails then any round in history. You can buy a 5 rnd magazine for either the SKS or the AK and its not only perfectly legal to hunt deer with but its perfectly capable of filling the freezer with venison. I have a buddy who has taken quite a few deer with his.

But Kerry and his fellow Liberal Elites never thought gun control should apply to "them", but only to the serfs.................Rich
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Kerry's Chinese Assault rifle Reply with quote

Bob Ricker wrote:
...Mr. Bush does not have such high-powered weapons but seems unable to pick a consistent favorite....

Bush might not have a favorite, but it seems he knows how to exterminate varmints. Hopefully, he'll use that knowledge over the next four years.
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Kerry says he doesn't have an assault rifle.
from the NYTimes.
>>No Assault Rifle for Kerry, After All
By JODI WILGOREN

Published: September 27, 2004

enator John Kerry's campaign said yesterday that Mr. Kerry did not own a Chinese assault rifle, as he was quoted as saying in Outdoor Life magazine, but a single-bolt-action military rifle, blaming aides who filled out the magazine's questionnaire on his behalf for the error.
<<<

Kerry is giving an interview to "Plane & Pilot" magazine. He will claim
to have shot down a Chinese Mig Jet somewhere over Cambodia.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He knows you'd never find it even if you were able to get a search warrant for the FIVE GREAT MANSIONS. Forget about it. Only 35 days left.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mr. Bush does not have such high-powered weapons...

This guy has obviously never fired a .243....

For those that don't know, a .243 Winchester is a necked down .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO round).

So what you have is basically an M-16 bullet on a M-14 case.

and WAY more powerful than either. Sort of a "6mm NATO" round.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: