SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veterans React To Wounded Soldier’s Beating (SBVT mentioned)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Veterans React To Wounded Soldier’s Beating (SBVT mentioned) Reply with quote

It's deja vu all over again. Statements by Kerry and the DNC are causing a repeat of the abuse our vets received after Vietnam.

http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive/s/segel/2004/segel092604.htm

Quote:
Veterans React To Wounded Soldier’s Beating

September 26, 2004
by Thomas D. Segel

“This is outrageous!” yelled John Collick, a retired Marine First Sergeant from Yorktown, Virginia. He had just read an article about an unprovoked attack on a wounded soldier home on medical leave from Iraq. The Marine continued saying, “A young man who was wounded in Iraq is beaten by some of the very people that he has sworn to defend. Whether you agree with the war on not, attacking our servicemen, or watching them be physically assaulted, is anything less than cowardice.”

The terrorist roadside bomb, which exploded under an Army Humvee on August 10 seriously, wounded Pfc Foster Barton. The deep wound required two surgeries to repair. Following his hospitalization, the Army sent this 5 foot 6 inch, 130-pound soldier home on a recuperation leave. Today he is back in the hospital, not because of combat action in Iraq, but because a 6-foot 200-pound protester savagely beat him, following a Toby Keith concert in Columbus, Ohio. With a concussion, a broken nose and six stitches, it has been estimated it will take the wounded soldier 4 to 6 weeks to recover from his beating.

Jeb Phillips of the Columbus Dispatch first reported the story. Phillips told about Barton’s mother surprising her son with tickets to the Toby Keith concert. He had spoken about how much he loved Keith’s patriotic songs and how he regretted missing the country singer’s Baghdad concert because he had been out on patrol.

The Purple Heart winning soldier had worn a T-shirt to the concert that contained the words “Operation Iraqi Freedom”. As he was leaving Germain Amphitheater, Foster Barton was greeted several times by other people from the audience. He was asked if he was a soldier and was thanked for his service.

Then he heard some obscene references to the Army and as he turned, the soldier was struck repeatedly in the head. After he had fallen to the ground, his assailant continued the attack by kicking his unconscious body.

Though several people observed the beating, the only person coming to the aid of the wounded soldier was a young woman reported to be the companion of the attacker. She tried to pull him off of Barton. He then stopped his attack and ran off. Later the woman denied knowing the attacker, who has still not been apprehended.

Dozens upon dozens of veterans have reacted to the attack on Foster Barton. Some, such as retired navy Captain Len Kaine have sent the soldier expressions of their concern and gifts. Kaine sent an interactive computer game, while Korean War Army veteran Pete Quinlan mailed his note of encouragement along with an Outback Steakhouse gift certificate.

From Hawaii, a retired Army First Sergeant wrote in comradeship and told how he too was denigrated upon his return from Vietnam. His only regret was he had not been present to inflict some retribution on the attacker.

Ray Boyden, a retired Air Force Master Sergeant from Savannah, Georgia recalls the repeated confrontations he and others in his unit had with anti-war radicals during the years of the Vietnam War. “It got so bad we had to go to work in civvies and then change into our uniforms. There were many run-ins with the great unwashed from Oberlin College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. I remember the great divide between factions in our country. The actions on poor PFC Barton are just like those of the Vietnam years. And those standing around and not coming to his defense are just like those from that time. God save us from idiots and traitors.

Army Colonel James Bond Johnson of Long Beach, California served in three wars and in three different branches of the armed forces. He says, "Some of us vets have long memories. I recall well the varied variety of “welcome home” greetings we received. We must persevere in educating the public, which today is again confused by a plethora of babble and outright lying. If we fail the results can be very, very tragic.”

W. P. “Pete” Haight, a retired Marine Lieutenant Colonel from Round Rock, Texas warns in a letter to the young man… “Behavior such as theirs cannot and must not reflect the attitude of the vast majority of our American youth. I fervently pray that is so. Rather, their despicable behavior toward you (Pfc Barton) as you expressed your support of our Armed forces, is indicative of radical and misguided attitudes toward our country being fostered, wittingly or unwittingly, by a man who would be our Commander in Chief, but whose voting record in the Senate belies his professions of loyalty and support of our Armed Forces.”

John Clayton is a retired Air Force Master Sergeant living in Airway Heights, Washington. He reflected, “When I read the article on PFC Barton, my blood boiled. My son was in Iraq with the 4 th ID and I wouldn’t want anyone to treat him like that. Who do these idiots think they are? These anti war types get more publicity from the liberal news media than our fighting forces. Something is badly wrong with those values and that picture.”

Retired Army Colonel Harry Riley of Crestview, Florida is also a past victim of the anti-war crowd. “I received the ‘spit and rotten egg’ treatment when returning from Vietnam…sounds like a similar song is being played for our current warriors. Kerry and others are engaged in a despicable, unconscionable act of aid and comfort to the enemy with troops on the battlefield. Senator Kerry is abandoning our troops. The colonel and many others feel what happened to Foster Barton is a direct result of the hate filled rhetoric of the current political campaigns.

Former Marine Terry Brady of Anchorage, Alaska echoes this. “The Kerry rhetoric during the Vietnam era contributed to the lack of respect for our service people. His rhetoric during this presidential campaign is likewise hurtful because it feeds the negative rather than enforcing the positive.”

From Peyton, Colorado author and retired Marine Chief Warrant Officer Charles W. “Bill” Henderson writes, “Pfc Foster Barton’s beating was a direct result of sentiment stirred and elevated by not just Kerry and Edwards, but the entire Democrat machine that stoops at nothing too low or unethical to achieve their goal of electing Kerry and Edwards. Kerry is the same anti-war activist that he’s been since Vietnam, now directly appealing to a rabidly left-wing sector of potential voters. Pfc Barton’s beating is a direct result of this elevated rhetoric also openly endorsed by the Communist Party USA, and is part of the price good people seem to always pay for that sort of short-sighted recklessness.”

Senator Kerry’s insistence that the Vietnam War should be the cornerstone of his presidential bid has impacted America in a variety of ways. It has brought back the sad memories of a painful past. It has riled Vietnam veterans by the thousands who still feel Kerry is traitorous. It has stirred the Swift Boat veterans to activism and it has helped form Veterans4Bush. This Vietnam style rhetoric has also brought back to life the bottom feeders of our society who wage attacks on recuperating wounded soldiers.

Thomas D. Segel
Thomas D. Segel is a twice wounded, former combat correspondent who saw enemy action during the Korean War and two tours of duty in Vietnam. He retired from the Marine Corps as a Master Gunnery Sergeant after 26 years of service. His next assignment was as Director of Information and adjunct faculty member of the Marine Military Academy. He then completed a new career and recently retired from service with the State of Texas, where he was Director, Division of Information, Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, Rio Grande State Center. He holds the Thomas Jefferson Award for Journalistic Excellence, The Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Association Distinguished Performance Award and six Armed Forces Writers Association Distinguished Achievement Awards. Segel has authored four books, including "Men in Space" which received the honor of being placed on both the National High School and National Junior High School Library Lists. He currently writes for several on line publications, national magazines and newspapers. His writings are distributed nationally to more than 1,300 publications by the Paragon Foundation News Service. He holds an undergraduate degree from the University of Texas Pan American and earned his masters degree at Vanderbilt University. He is a past national president of the United States Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Association. Segel resides with his wife, Pattie, in Harlingen, Texas.

Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! MND! I knew this story wouldn't go away - let's hope the mainstream media picks it up, next.

What happened to this young man must remain a perverted anomaly!
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure needs to be put on law enforcement to catch that guy. Then pressure should be put on the judge to ensure they throw the book at him. No more deja vu! The Kerry-Fonda mentality can be stopped. We must cause the leftist rabble rousing to lose it will. The severest form of punishment allowed by the law for Barton's beater would be a great start. p.s. Woe be to the liberal judge that doesn't throw the book at him.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something wrong here, with the journalism.

The original story saying there were 6 witnesses, and the attackers one friend, was the only one backing up his story. They knew who the attacker was, but they didn't put his name in the story.

I'm not trying to denigrate the story, i'm trying to keep it from heading into the "mythological realm".

original, http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3746350/detail.html

Last edited by lrb111 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises me, is that this took place at a Toby Keith concert! Toby Keith is an American Patriot and his music is directed at a pro-military crowd. I can't imagine ever being ten steps away from some Good Ole' Boy just waiting to beat down some Anti-American assaulting one of our fine members of the military.
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idiot needs to be humiliated publically in mainstream media. I think America's Most Wanted should feature this! I am sending it in an email to them.
mangdawg
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
This idiot needs to be humiliated publically in mainstream media. I think America's Most Wanted should feature this! I am sending it in an email to them.
very, VERY good idea, Rdtf! aired along with a reward i'm sure the rat will be outted.

this dude needs to be brought up by the short hairs before this stuff becomes comonplace
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one would like to see more on this story. I find it really odd that no one helped him, perhaps he was parked really far from the amphitheater. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, it's just that this site always goes for the complete truth and this story has me wondering.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the story:

300+ Stories on Google

Latest News
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mangdawg wrote:
Rdtf wrote:
very, VERY good idea, Rdtf! aired along with a reward i'm sure the rat will be outted.

this dude needs to be brought up by the short hairs before this stuff becomes comonplace

I sent it yesterday to them online- maybe if others send it it will help Wink www.amw.com
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Veterans React To Wounded Soldier’s Beating (SBVT mentioned) Reply with quote

Fortunately I read the messages on the forum and never knew about this event of course where is the mainstream media - this incident is "negative" which meets one of their criteria so why have they not picked up on the story?? Hopefully Rather will become history soon but the public needs to make these media giants more accountable they have a license from the FCC and the question is do they meet the standards and who is overseeing them and informing the public??? We need a public watchdog. Too bad Nader doesn't focus on this area and make better use of his time, perhaps after Nov 2 and he realizes that the DNC pulled the dirty tricks out of the bag to prevent him from becoming a candidate in every state...

JK
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as neo-communists like John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, John Edwards etal continue to be front-page news for the neo-communist mainstream media our soldiers will be targeted at home and abroad. Strangebedfellows? You bet The left and the terrorists. They both have the same agenda... to destroy America.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject: US Special Forces requests your help for assaulted soldier on leave in Ohio..jir
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:49:30 EDT
PFC Foster Barton-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Coombs [E-mail address removed by Admin] Members of Chapter 54, SFA... I received a couple of messages from Mike Linnane, a former SF Officer and pulled out the necessary information.
Dear Veterans and friends of Veterans, We have to nip this one in the bud and right now. Yesterday, PFC Foster Barton (age 19), a soldier home on medical leave from Iraq due to a serious knee wound that required 2 surgeries, was assaulted for wearing a pro-military T-shirt at a concert. He was kicked and beaten unconscious. According to the police report, six witnesses stated the person who beat him up was screaming profanities and making crude remarks about US soldiers. PFC Barton's unit is still in Iraq and he expects to be sent back. We must not allow this Purple Heart Veteran to carry the sole message of his attack back to the troops. Nor can we allow the attack to be his life-long memory of his nation's gratitude for his service. I have spoken with Jeb Phillips, the Columbus Ohio reporter, who wrote this up. Jeb has agreed to accept and forward letters and packages to PFC Foster Barton. My letter and gift will be in today's mail.
The above was from yesterday's message. Today, I received this one from Mike. PFC Barton follow-up. I just received a call from a Nancy Burton. She identified herself as an NBC4 reporter in Columbus Ohio. I told her quickly that I'm glad she did not say CBS. She responded just as quickly that she is glad about that too. Nancy told me she and her TV station actually broke the story first and plan a follow-up today. She has the family's permission to release PFC Barton's address. It is below. PFC Mod Note: This may not be the best place to disseminate a Soldiers Adress. Please do so in Private Messages. Do what your heart tells you is right. I sent the soldier a check. Bill Coombs
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should at the very least send a letter of support to this young Hero.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen about Toby Keith - he wouldn't stand for something like this and I hope he knows about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: