SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some food for thought - but I'm not hungry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Some food for thought - but I'm not hungry Reply with quote

Passage of the Twelfth Amendment in 1804--following the Jefferson-Burr debacle--provides that if George W. Bush and John Kerry split the electoral vote 269 to 269 this November, the process would be somewhat different. Each state delegation in the House of Representatives would cast one vote for president, and each Senator would cast one vote for vice president. There can be no ties in either house--the president of the Senate, Vice President Dick Cheney, does not get a vote. The newly-elected Congress, therefore would vote until both a president and vice-president had been selected.

In an Electoral College tie, President Bush would easily win reelection in the House because Republican Red states solidly outnumber Democratic Blue states. And, with the Senate electing the vice president, there is a distinct possibility that Democrat John Edwards could be elected to serve alongside Bush. The newly-elected Senate--just as in the House--casts the votes, not the lame-duck Congress. The battle for control of the upper chamber of Congress is already neck-and-neck, and with a close presidential race at the top of the ballot, Democrats might pick up two seats, giving them a 51-49 majority with Independent Jim Jeffords. If Democrats only gain one seat in November, a 50-50 tie would cause a very divisive battle for the vice presidency. But just as in 2000, Republican George W. Bush could win the presidency without winning the popular vote. And just as in 2000, there could be another call from the electorate to dismantle the Electoral College in favor of a truly national election.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, all I gotta say is it better not be that close, RogerRabbit.

BAH! The FF's knew the dangers inherent in a pure democracy and wisely provided for a system which provides for a system of checks and balances to protect against mob rule. It is why we have a Representative Republic and not a Dumocracy. (Spelling error not inadvertent) There will be no further de-constructing of the Constitution of the US if *I* can help it!

To heqq with that mob rule garbage, I would go to the other extreme: I would like to see basic civics and history tests administered to potential voters before granting them the "right" to vote.

Ooops! You can not name the three branches of government? NEXT! Ooops! You can not tell the Declaration of Independence from the Constitution? NEXT!
Ooops! You can't punch a hole in a ballot without needing the DNC's help?
NEXT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: