SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troops Demoralized? Not yet, but . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Troops Demoralized? Not yet, but . . . Reply with quote

Here's a great read from Jed Babbin on NRO.

http://nationalreview.com/babbin/babbin200409270827.asp

We have to keep this from happening.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My email to Jed Babbin:
Jed,
Bravo.
I was a combat medic in Vietnam with an Army engineer outfit. What is little understood outside the military and psychology communities is that the worst thing that can be done to a nation's military is to invalidate their service. I cannot tell you how many Vietnam vets, myself included, will tell you that the worst wound they sustained was as a result of the horrific assaults on their sacrifice that came from the anti-war movement in this country. Read a bit of Jonathan Shays, an eminent authority of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
What this attack on the morale of the military does is undermine the ability of the nation to defend itself. I truly believe that was the agenda of the anti-war movement in the '70's. In the threat environment we now live in, it is simply unacceptable to have this happen again.
Those who say that the John Kerry of 1971 should be absolved and that his excesses should be forgotten miss the point that he has never changed, and is at it again . . . or still. The American people, historically, do not lose their resolve in war time. But they can be manipulated into abandoning that resolve.

redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Vietnam Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, never became "demoralized". Neither, really, did the American People.
It was the gutless Pukes in Washington DC, who hauled down the Flag, declared defeat, and ran like hell. Mostly members of "the Greatest Generation," I might add, who were supposed to be watching our back while we fought.
Come to think of it, there WAS one sailor (lower case) who ran like hell.
Redhawk
Redleg
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Babbin stated an excellent case on exactly what may happen if "Follow me-out of the bush", John Kerry is elected.
Imagine the troopers in Iraq with a new CinC that doesn't really doesn't give a crap about them and pretends to for political purposes only. A hurried Iraq withdraw may end up as shades of 'Nam as in 1972-73. Nobody will want to be the last to rotate out or be carried out.
I believe the majority of the public understands the importance of finishing the job in Iraq by keeping George Bush in office.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: