SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chief Wiggles needs help to save 9 mo. old Iraqi child

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Chief Wiggles needs help to save 9 mo. old Iraqi child Reply with quote

I know this will get moved to Geedunk, but I wanted to get the word out to as many readers as possible -

"Chief Wiggles" is an amazing man - after serving in Iraq he returned to the States with a new life mission...helping the children of Iraq. If you go to his blog, you can see photos of the latest trailer full of toys and supplies ready to go to Iraq. His work gives those of us here in the States a chance to make a real contribution to all of the GOOD things happening in Iraq.

http://www.chiefwiggles.com/blog/archives/000113.html

September 23, 2004
Update on Tabby
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

An update on Tabby:

Many of you have expressed your concern about the status of Tabby, the Iraqi 9 month old little girl whose life we are trying to save. As you know she has a hemangioma that is threatening her young life, which is preventing her from eating anything but liquids at this point. Her condition continues to decline as the growth continues to spread.

I have been in touch with the doctors and others in Baghdad on a daily basis, who have been keeping me a breast of her current condition. They tell me she has a strong spirit, with a firm will to live that can be seen in her eyes. She is doing ok, but needs to begin the operation as soon as possible.

The doctor in South Carolina is standing by, ready to perform his magic as soon as she can get here. His foundation is prepared to take care of her and her father during the ordeal that lies ahead. The doctor is an expert in dealing with these types of things, with many successful surgeries under his belt. He has worked miracles with many other children who have been in even worse condition.

We are currently working with several Senators and Congressmen who are attempting to help us speed up the process of getting Tabby and her father a passport and visa to enter the USA. This is normally a long process that could take several months, but Tabby can’t wait. Time is one thing we don’t have. As the days click away her chances for a full recovery diminish.

In order to pull this whole thing off several things need to happen and happen quickly. I petition for all of your help in bringing about a happy ending to this very real story. I know we can only go to the well so many times, but we are at a critical point in need of a miracle.

1. We need additional donations of money to cover Tabby’s expenses. As soon as the funds are in place Tabby will travel with her father to Amman, Jordan, where they will attempt to acquire a visa from the US embassy there. We are hoping to circumvent the normal process by expediting the issuing of their passport and visa. Even so I am sure they will be required to stay in Jordan for several weeks.

2. We need additional funds or frequent flier miles to pay for the expense of their flight from Jordan to the USA. I will be contacting the airlines that fly this route to see what kind of arrangements can be made. I will let you all know the results of my discussions with the airlines; once I determine exactly what the cost is or how many frequent flier miles it is going to take.

Once they arrive in the USA Tabby and her father will have to stay for several months as she goes through a number of surgeries to remove the hemangioma and to reconstruct her face. As you can see from her eyes she is a beautiful little girl with hope for a brighter future and a normal life.

We can make a difference in the life of this one child and perhaps many more just like her with life threatening illnesses. One child at a time we can win the hearts and minds of these people as we show them what being an American is really all about. We need to get the word out to a lot of people to collectively make this a reality. Please contact anyone you might know in the media also.

I hope you can help.

Chief Wiggles
Doing it the wiggles way

UPDATE: Donations may be made here. Currently, all donations made to Operation Give are going to help this child. You can find out more about donating Delta Miles here Please read below about donating Airline Miles.

UPDATE II: The original story is here.

UPDATE III: Current cash donations 9/28/04 17:00 MST: $8,092.99 USD

Delta Miles donated: Dr. Hochman of "The Hemangioma Treatment Foundation" contacted me this morning. As of Friday, 256,000 Delta Miles had been donated.

AT THIS TIME, WE DO NOT SEE A NEED FOR MORE AIRLINE MILES! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE IN THIS REGARD!

September 28, 2004
Latest on Tabby
Hello,

Just a quick note. We haven't written much lately as our time has been taken up trying to solve the various situations that have arisen in bringing Tabby to the US for treatment.

At this time, we should have plenty of Airline Miles. We are thinking we have enough in cash donations, but would appreciate more as there is always a need.

We are looking at setting up a fund for Hotel points. We are working on this and will hopefully have more details later.

We are pushing hard to get the visas issued quickly so that her treatment may begin as soon as possible. Our thanks goes to the office of Senator Hatch and all the effort the have put in to seeing that the visas are issued in an swift manner.

We will keep you updated as things move on. We can't wait for Tabby to arrive and hope to bring you video and still photos of her arrival!

Thanks.
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the Chief and Operation Give -

Operation Give coordinates the collection and distribution of toys and other items for Iraqi children. After years of tyranny and war, the children of Iraq have almost nothing and are very grateful. With each toy we give to a needy child, we put a smile on their face and hope in their heart.

Operation Give offers Four Ways to Give, so you can find the way to give that works for you. You can send your own package. You can get inexpensive toys through our website that we ship in bulk. You can buy items from Internet retailers and designate Operation Give as the recipient for us to forward to Iraq. You can donate money for Operation Give to buy and ship toys for Iraqi children. Because Operation Give is 100% volunteer driven, your entire donation goes to the kids. Right where it should be.

We collect gifts at our Maryland warehouse, inspect and sort the contents, repackage them, then put the gifts in huge shipping containers bound for Iraq.

A soldier affectionately known as Chief Wiggles and his crew of volunteers distribute the gifts to the children of Iraq.

Chief Wiggles (2003, Operation Give)

Chief Wiggles is a member of the Utah National Guard stationed in Iraq and keeps a widely read online journal (web blog). While on duty in Bahgdad, Chief Wiggles noticed a little girl crying on the other side of a barbed wire fence at the location where he works. "She was obviously very poor, in her tattered old dress, totally worn out plastic flip-flops, her hair matted against her head indicating she hadn't had a bath in a long time and her skin blistered from the dirt and weather" (Chief Wiggles).

He remembered that he had some toys in his office, so he hurried and brought the girl a toothbrush, a whistle, and a toy
monkey. "Her eyes lit up with such joy as I put the monkey arms over her head. She was so excited to receive everything, being somewhat shy though, not having dealt with an American before" (Chief Wiggles).

After posting this experience on his web blog, thousand of people enthusiastically emailed Scott Evenson, who maintains Chief Wiggles' web blog, asking where they could send gifts. After organizing a small group of volunteers, Operation Give was born. Hundreds of boxes have been delivered to children in Iraq, and Chief Wiggles would like to thank everyone for their overwhelming support.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Geedunk, shortly.

Thanks for the tip, BTW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: