SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swift Boat Veteran Questions Kerry's Version [Richard Pees]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Swift Boat Veteran Questions Kerry's Version [Richard Pees] Reply with quote

This is a great piece and it would be great to see if he writes a follow-up if someone would send him the link to Thomas Lipscomb's article about the Bay Hap river incident!! http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-lip01.html

http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=8504
Quote:
Hardin swift boat veteran questions Kerry’s version
By BOB BLAKE
419-993-2077
bblake@limanews.com

LIMA — When Richard Pees served in the U.S. Navy some 35 years ago as the skipper on a swift boat in Vietnam, he had no idea that events transpiring around his boat would land him in the middle of presidential politics.
But, Pees, a rural Ada resident, and Sen. John Kerry, the Democratic candidate for president, have differing recollections of an incident on March 13, 1969 — an incident that landed Kerry praise and medals and which Pees cites as part of the reason Kerry is unfit to lead.
Pees and Kerry were at the command of swift boats leading a patrol along the Bay Hap River looking to cut off shipments of supplies to enemy troops. A mine exploded under Pees’ boat, blowing the 50-foot long ship out of the water briefly and prompting sailors on nearby boats to open fire on the banks to suppress potential enemy positions.
“The key issue became was there any enemy fire,” Pees, a member of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, said of a discussion at a gathering of swift boat veterans this summer. “None of us recall that at all. We were all quite certain there was no enemy fire at all. The only enemy action was the mine that went off under my boat.”
Pees said Kerry’s story about rescuing a fellow sailor under enemy fire as well as his Congressional testimony following his return from Vietnam in which he laid out alleged U.S. military atrocities are the impetus for the swift boat group’s effort.
Pees concedes that Kerry rescued Lt. Jim Rassman from the waters of the river, but said the rescue came after the mine explosion near his swift boat and in the absence of enemy fire.
“The essence of the group’s message is Kerry is really unfit to be commander-in-chief of our Armed Forces,” Pees said. “And, he’s unfit because he cannot be trusted. The group’s primary concern was not the medals. The primary objection of all of the people in the group was that Kerry so distorted the truth in his testimony to Congress and vilified all Vietnam veterans. That’s the core of the disgust with Kerry is the fact he would so willingly make those statements for his own political gain.”
The issue is relevant to the election, Pees said, because Kerry has made his service in Vietnam a large part of his campaign.
“In the debate (Thursday) night he made a statement about having to separate the war from the warriors,” Pees said. “It just struck me as so hypocritical of him. They fought that whole anti-war battle by denigrating the troops on the ground. If you didn’t know any history of John Kerry and didn’t know any history of the United States and didn’t know his voting record you would have thought this guy would be a pretty forceful commander-in-chief.”

[url][/url]
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least rural America is willing to listen.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent him this:

Quote:
Thank you for telling Mr. Pees version of events 35 years ago. Your article is informative and also easy tor follow. It can be a challenge to achieve both objectives in one piece and you did a very good job of it.

I thought you might be interested in some new research that surfaced in the last few days regarding the Bay Hap river incident.

Here is a link: http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-lip01.html

Maybe you would consider doing a follow up article? I am sure Chief Petty Officer Troy Jenkins would be happy to talk to you and I will provide you with his contact information should you need it. He has other information that could very well lead an enterprising reporter to a Pulitzer Prize I believe. Here is a link to something he wrote recently: http://pajamajournalist.blogspot.com/2004/10/john-kerrys-2nd-betrayal-of-vietnam.html

There are also several research links posted there. This is a big story and I wish you luck pursuing it.

Deborah Mack
www.pajamajournal.com

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood the lack of logic in the Kerry version of fire fight at the 3/13/69 incident.

If the boats were under all this enemy fire, wouldn't they continue to fire back? did they continue to fire back while aiding the 93 boat? What do the gunners of the boats say? Was Kerry's gunner fireing on the enemy all the while they were fleeing the area?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
JROTC
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep going, Mr. Stevie.

After maybe 1 to 1-1/2 hours of assisting #93, continual firing from hostiles? How much ammo did they carry? No air suppression called in? No personnel injured due to BULLET(s)?

Common sense has to allude someone to believe there was any incoming during this rescue. Why can't they see this?

The blind folds have to come off. Keep pounding the truth!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: