SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now HERE'S a case of "hahdcore" MA denial...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Now HERE'S a case of "hahdcore" MA denial... Reply with quote

Who IS this guy? A quid looking for a quo?

Quote:
The flip-flop myth
By Rick Holmes
Metro West Daily news
Framingham, MA
Sunday, October 3, 2004

Looking back at the epochal election of 2004, historians may someday debate which was the bigger lie: that the "swift boat veterans" actually served with John Kerry in Vietnam or that Kerry flip-flopped in his position on the war in Iraq.

The "swift boat veterans" who ambushed Kerry in August mostly didn't serve on swift boats. They served with Kerry in the same way I watched a Red Sox game two weeks ago with Pedro Martinez: We were both in the vicinity watching the game, along with 34,000 other people. The anti-Kerry veterans were in Vietnam, but they weren't in the boat with Kerry anymore than I was in the dugout with Pedro. The guys in the boat with Kerry back up his story, and testify to his courage under fire.

Considering the maliciousness and effectiveness of the Swifties' lies, future historians will wonder why Dan Rather's dud of a story was so roundly denounced, while the Swifties were allowed to keep firing away.

The flip-flop charge, though, is a higher level slur. Negative campaigning is about hanging a label on your opponent he finds impossible to shake, using the media as a sometimes unwitting partner. Thus, their opponents and the media conspired to brand Gerald Ford as clumsy, Michael Dukakis as heartless, Al Gore as wooden.

<snip - (to spare you further pain)>

(Rick Holmes' column appears on Sundays. He can be reached by e-mail at rholmes@cnc.com.)

Metro West Daily News - con't

Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nobody warned him about the red KookAde.

Ah, well, another "journalist" displays his arrogance, ignorance and irrelevance.

I LOVE it! Twisted Evil
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the negative articles about the SwiftVets, I must say this one could quite possibly the most pathetic. His reference to the Red Sox game and comparing it to the SwiftVets is just incredible. It makes me wonder if people like this do this intentionally and know the facts, listen to the democratic talking points and take them to heart failing to research the facts, or if they are just extremely ignorant.
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't resist the urge, late at night, to write letters to these guys... it's become my new hobby -- Thanks for the link, Me#1You#10 Smile

Dear Mr. Holmes,

I have read your column about the charges that Kerry has flip-flopped on the issues and I suggest that before you make excuses for him, you take a good look at his record which flips and flops all over the place. And before you accuse the Swift Boat Veterans of lying and of not serving in Vietnam with John Kerry in a capacity from which they can report the truth about his service there first-hand, I suggest you take a good look at the facts. Because when you do so, you will have the truth to back you up and you can, therefore, tell it, which you so far have not done. You, sir, have both flipped and flopped.

Yours for the Truth,
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my letter for what it's worth:

Sir,

I read your article, and I have one problem with your position. If you can explain to me how Mr. Kerry can say that Iraq is "the wrong war, in the wrong place, at the wrong time"...and yet maintain that our soldiers are NOT dying for a mistake, then I'll believe that Mr. Kerry is not a flip-flopper.

You go to great lengths to make your case, but it doesn't wash. The truth is that Mr. Kerry has held various positions on this war in Iraq, as I myself heard during the debate. He claims he will lead the troops to victory, while at the same time telling us that he will do a better job of it than President Bush, while at the same time maintaining that it was a mistake. And there is no way to get around this: If it were up to John Kerry, Saddam Hussein would still be in power, because he would *not* have gone to Iraq in the first place. No matter HOW he tries to spin it, that's what it boils down to.

As for your claim that the swift boat veterans didn't serve on swift boats...why then do they call themselves swift boat veterans? Or are you trying to imply that Mr. Kerry is the *only* swift boat veteran who matters? Along with his little band of brothers, whom his campaign *pays* to speak for him in the form of covering their expenses? Heck, if Mr. Kerry were paying *my* expenses, sure I'd say nice things about him. After all, these men who were in the same boat as Mr. Kerry were all his subordinates, not his peers. Unlike the other swift boat veterans who not only *were* his peers but also traveled in the same pack he did, and conducted the same operations he did. Not to mention share quarters with him, since they, too were officers.

So, I'm sorry. As far as I'm concerned, your article flunked the common sense test. I guess the days of truly objective journalism really are dead.

Sincerely,

Well, it wasn't short and pithy, but it made *me* feel better.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Now HERE'S a case of "hahdcore" MA denial... Reply with quote

RickHolmes wrote:
Considering the maliciousness and effectiveness of the Swifties' lies, future historians will wonder why Dan Rather's dud of a story was so roundly denounced, while the Swifties were allowed to keep firing away.

Future historians, unlike Mr. Holmes, already understand that the Swifties were "allowed to keep firing away" 'cause the opposition had no effective ammo with which to refute their facts. Keep your day job Mr. Holmes.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my email to Rick:

October 4th 2004

Rick,

Kudos to you on your story “The Flip Flop Myth” published Sunday, Oct 3.
That is Kudos for regurgitating Kerry Campaign talking points.

If you had done even a cursory inspection of the facts you would have discovered that there were Swift Boat Veterans for Truth eyewitnesses at every disputed event. They were indeed in the dugout with Kerry since they operated together as a team, were never more than a short distance apart in combat, and lived together when not on patrol.

Kerry has only had two pillars of support in his claims. The first pillar, the testimony of those few crewmen on his boats who publicly support him contradicted by the 60+ others in the SBVT who served with him. Second, the “Official” Navy records, all of which rely on either reports of the action written by Kerry himself, or attested to by people who are active in his campaign for the presidency.

Apply your own standards of journalism here. Would you unquestioningly believe a criminal suspect who had his friends testify to his innocence and who produced documents that relied on his own written accounts as proof? Or would you investigate to find evidence that stands up to scrutiny?

I would ask you to revisit the issue with a more critical thought process and not let your desire to see John Kerry elected to overcome your journalistic ethics.

Sincerely,

Timothy Price
Grand Prairie, Texas
gerson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent him a letter too:

Dear Mr Holmes,

As a reporter, you have a responsibility to the general public to do some serious research before making pronouncements such as you've made about the swiftboat veterans. Did you know that they include ALL of Kerry's superior officers in Vietnam and most of the fellow officers in his division (17 out of 21 still living?) These are people who slept in the same barracks with him, ate with him, went on patrols with him, etc. After spending several months looking into this matter, reading many things, I cannot tell you how pathetically ignorant you sound! It is "reporting" like yours that is killing the MSM. If people won't put up with this kind of thing from Dan Rather anymore, they will surely not stomach it from you. Wise up! If you really looked into the facts, you would be grateful to these brave men for attempting to alert us all to John Kerry's deficiencies of character.
Trueamerican
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great replies guys. I love it when a reporter gets hammered. This certain reporter should not even have the permission to write this kind of non-since. Just aggravating.

1 thing I do find hilarious is, no matter what kind of reporting. Negative or positive towards the swifties, Morons like these don't realize that the swifties are getting free publicity, which equals more donations..... Hahah Oh man I love it.

True
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former resident of Framingham, MA, I can tell you that the Metrowest Daily News is a trash newspaper, liberally oriented of course. I think it may even be free, but don't quote me on that.

Just so you know that not everyone in MA is a Kerry humping liberal, here is a letter to that paper from today:

Quote:
Letter: What has he done lately?
Monday, October 4, 2004

This past April, I wrote a letter not questioning John Kerry's military service but rather, criticizing his self-portrayal as a war hero. I wrote that article with the full expectation that he would cease that political tactic and focus his campaign on his senatorial accomplishments and current issues.
Candidate Kerry has instead decided to make his now questionable service the focal point of his campaign. While the veteran in me will forever resent that decision, the independent voter in me can only conclude it to be a diversionary maneuver to hide his 20-year history as an inept senator and his inability to provide voters with a single concrete leadership quality for him to serve as president.
In the final paragraph of my previous writing, I stated, "John Kerry is no longer the Lt. Kerry who once served our country, but rather, candidate Kerry who will cross all boundaries to achieve his personal goals." When I wrote those words, I never imagined how profound they would become. Although I will never question any other veteran's military record, I will ask you, the readers, one question: What has Senator/Candidate Kerry done for you lately?
DAVE HENRY,
Framingham

But then, this gets published:

Quote:
Letter: Bush fails truth test
Friday, October 1, 2004

President Bush has failed to disclose the truth about his service in the Air National Guard. Recent evidence contradicts what has been claimed. This evidence shows that Bush missed serving at various times during 1972, 1973 and 1974. He also failed to follow orders to take a physical exam.
The President is seeking re-election but will not tell the complete truth about his service.
PARWEZ WAHID, Framingham

Makes you want to say "you aren't from around here, are you?"

My letter to Holmes:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Holmes,

On the matter of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT), you make some charges that I would like to see cleared up.

You state "The "swift boat veterans" who ambushed Kerry in August mostly didn't serve on swift boats. They served with Kerry in the same way I watched a Red Sox game two weeks ago with Pedro Martinez: We were both in the vicinity watching the game, along with 34,000 other people. The anti-Kerry veterans were in Vietnam, but they weren't in the boat with Kerry anymore than I was in the dugout with Pedro. The guys in the boat with Kerry back up his story, and testify to his courage under fire."

How do you come by this? Do you have any idea how the Swiftboats operated? If you did, you would know that in most cases, the several Swift boats in a given mission were probably closer to each other than the baseball players you so humorously mention, and served together more closely than those same players. Are the baseball players "serving together" (so to speak) or not? Are they more aware of the actions and strategies than you are, likely drinking beer in the stands?

Next, you state "Considering the maliciousness and effectiveness of the Swifties' lies, future historians will wonder why Dan Rather's dud of a story was so roundly denounced, while the Swifties were allowed to keep firing away."

While the word "lie" needs no definition, "malicious(ness)" is defined as "a desire to harm others or see others suffer." A cursory review of the SBVT mission statement and commentaries will show that they want nothing other than the full story of their and Kerry's service to be told. One reason that the "Swifties were allowed to keep firing away" was because none of their claims have been disproved, and they are 255+ honorable and decorated veterans, including one from his own crew. This group also includes his commanding officers. They are telling the truth, and have signed affidavits to affirm that. This is the crux of my problem with your accusations of "liar" to them. The only party that had to recant any of their stories is Kerry (see "Christmas in Cambodia" and his self inflicted first Purple Heart). Kerry and his "crew" have not sworn that they are telling the truth at any point, and Kerry steadfastly refuses to release his FULL military record (see the Chicago Tribune and Washington Post for articles on this; if you need the references, I can get them for you).

Now why do you think that would be? What would Kerry have to hide if HE was the one telling the truth? He has already been caught in two oft told lies, and the issue of his combat "V" on his Silver Star (an award the Navy does not give) and the documentation behind his medals (apparently self written) are under intense scrutiny, but once again, this effort is obfuscated by no other than Kerry himself. Odd, don't you think? Yet you unhesitatingly call the SBVT "liars." If you have information that FACTUALLY disproves any of the SBVT' claims, then I would be happy to review it. You would be the first to respond to my challenge if so.

As for flipflopping, did you actually watch or listen to the debate? Here are a few prime examples: Kerry chastised the President for "going it alone" into Iraq, without the aid of our allies, yet, in the same breath, criticizes Bush for trying to get all of North Korea's neighbors to negotiate for their nuclear disarmament. He has even criticized the President for not unilaterally invading North Korea, while Kerry is on record of saying that he would support a unilateral invasion of Iraq!!! Kerry then says he would never subject the US to a UN permission slip for preemptive action, then says that he would only act if said action passes a "global test."

Perhaps you can make sense of all this vacillation and zigzagging, but I cannot. What I can confidently call it is flipflopping. I could give you many more examples, but I choose not to do all your work for you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at the email address below,or better, contact the SBVT yourself. You could use the education, not to mention journalistic ethics.

Sincerely,

MAsterBroomer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Nothing "Hahd" about Rick Holmes Reply with quote

As a MA resident in the MetroWest Daily News coverage area, reading Rick Holmes in the Sunday "funny papers", er, editorial pages, is a weekly laugh riot.

He is nothing more than a Democrat, red-meat tosser to the Libs here in the Boston-Western suburbs.

Although I applaud the thoughfulness and sincerity of my fellow Swift Posters before me in their replies to Misster Holmes, I fear that your truthfullness is directed in a wasted effort.

Misster Holmes is not a reporter, nor is "he" interested in the truth.

I bet, though, that Rick does get "hahd" when he gets out-of-state responses from "his" columns. "He" probably fancies himself as a Michael Moore-lite type....tweaking the Conservatives.

As for me, I await "his" column to see what "he" has to say on the first Sunday after the election, after President Bush's re-election, when Rick's" in his own wittle boat, up-the-creek, without a paddle.... or a clue.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!!!!!

Rick Holmes has responded to me as follows (see original email above):

Holmes, Rick wrote:

Quote:
<Dimsdale>,
Thanks for your thoughts. While it would be nice if we could find someone
perfectly objective to determine the truth or falsity of the SBVT charges,
I've yet to find anyone who cares about this story who didn't already have
his mind made up about Kerry long before the SBVT guys came forward. Maybeyou're the first, but I doubt it.

But if everyone talking about a presidential candidate's record this year is
biased, maybe the best way to get at the truth is to look at the reports
written before Kerry became a famous protestor or politician. That's why the reports and citations of his commanding officers written at the time -- from Adm. Elmo Zumwalt on down -- should have the presumption of authority. I know, Kerry allegedly wrote his own citations, the SBVT say. Did everyone write their own citations; are all Vietnam-era medals to be questioned? Seems to me if these guys were challenging the credibility of other purple heart winners, they'd be called (by some) unpatriotic. Knowledgeable sources have questioned the combat accounts that brought medals and honor to Bob Dole and George H.W. Bush, but their political opponents had the common sense and decency not to make it a campaign issue. That was then.

I'm no expert on the swift boat controversy, though I've read a lot about it. I'm sure you have too, including Douglas Brinkley's "Tour of Duty"
(what, you haven't?). Here's a column you might have missed that included more details I couldn't fit in my Sunday column:

Nicholas D. Kristof: Kerry's war record - for the record
Nicholas D. Kristof
So is John Kerry a war hero or a medal-grabbing phony?
Each time I've written about President Bush's dalliance with the National Guard, conservative readers have urged me to scrutinize the accusations against Kerry.
After doing so over the last week, here's where I come out: Did Kerry volunteer for dangerous duty? Not as much as his campaign would like you to believe. The Kerry Web site declares, "As he was graduating from Yale, John Kerry volunteered to serve in Vietnam - because, as he later said, 'It was the right thing to do.'" In fact, as Kerry was about to graduate from Yale, he was inquiring about getting an educational deferment to study in Europe. When that got nowhere,
he volunteered for the Navy, which was much less likely to involve danger in Vietnam than other services.
After a year on a ship in the ocean, Kerry volunteered for swift boats, but
at that time they were used only in Vietnam's coastal waters.
A short time later, the swift boats were assigned exceptionally dangerous
duties up Vietnamese rivers. "When I signed up for the swift boats, they had very little to do with the war," Kerry wrote in 1986, adding, "I didn't
really want to get involved in the war."
Did Kerry get his first Purple Heart for a self-inflicted wound? That's the
accusation of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, who say the injury came
(unintentionally) from a grenade that Kerry himself fired at Viet Cong.
In fact, nobody knows where the shrapnel came from, and it's possible the
critics are right. It's not certain the Viet Cong were returning fire. But
the only other American on the boat in a position to see anything, Bill
Zaldonis (who says he voted for Bush in 2000), told me, "He was hurt, and I don't think it was self-inflicted."
Did Kerry deserve his second and third Purple Hearts? There's not much
dispute that the second was merited. As for the third one, the Swift Boat
Veterans' claim that he received it for a minor injury he got while blowing
up food stores to keep them from the enemy.
But documents and witness accounts show he received a shrapnel wound when South Vietnamese troops blew up rice stores, and an injured arm in a mine explosion later that day.
Did Kerry deserve his Bronze Star? Yes. The Swift Boat group says he was not facing enemy fire when he rescued a Green Beret, Jim Rassmann, but that is contradicted by those were there, including William Rood and Rassmann (a Republican). In fact, Rassmann recommended Kerry for a Silver Star.
Did Kerry deserve his Silver Star? Absolutely. He earned it for responding
to two separate ambushes in a courageous and unorthodox way, by heading straight into the gunfire.
Then he pursued one armed fighter into the jungle and shot him dead.
According to Fred Short, a machine-gunner who saw the event, the fighter was an adult (not the half-naked teenager cited by the Swift Boat Veterans) who was preparing to launch a grenade at the boat.
"Kerry went into harm's way to save the lives of the guys on the boat,"
Short told me. "If he hadn't done that, I am absolutely positive I would not
be here today."
Kerry's commander said he had wanted to give him an even higher honor, the Navy Cross, but thought it would take too long to process.
Did Kerry exaggerate his exploits? Yes. For example, he has often said over the years that he spent Christmas 1968 in Cambodia as part of the secret war there. Others who served with him confirm that on Christmas Eve 1968 (not Christmas Day) he got very close to the border and possibly even strayed across it.
But it doesn't seem to have been, as Kerry has suggested, a deliberate
incursion into Cambodia. What do those who served with him say? Some who served on other boats have called Kerry a hypochondriac self-promoter. But every enlisted man who was with Kerry on various boats when he won Purple Hearts and Silver and Bronze
Stars says he deserved them. All praise his courage and back his candidacy.
"I was there for two of the Purple Hearts and the Bronze and Silver Stars,
and he earned every one of them," said Delbert Sandusky, in a typical
comment. "He saved our lives." The bottom line? Kerry has stretched the truth here and there, but he earned his decorations. And the Swift Boat Veterans, contradicted by official records and virtually everyone who witnessed the incidents, are engaging in one of the ugliest smears in modern U.S. politics.
Nicholas D. Kristof is a columnist for The New York Times, 229 W. 43rd
St., New York, NY 10036; e-mail: nicholas@nytimes.com.
Thanks for reading,
Rick

To which I responded:

Quote:
Dear Rick,

Thank you for gettting back to me so quickly (or at all for that matter!).

I agree, an objective source would be the best thing. For Kerry to sign DD180 would be a first good step. The release of the military/medical records would put to rest much of the controversy, one way or the other, yet Kerry refuses to do so. That strikes me as odd, if not significant in establishing the veracity of one or the two parties. The inexplicability of this act simply makes him look like he is hiding something, particularly when he has derogatorially commented on the President's ANG record search. Secondly, his attempts to suppress the book, "Unfit for Command" as well as media advertising by the Swifties simply flies in the face of the First Amendment, particularly since Kerry had no problem with the movie "Fahrenheit 9/11" which is clearly biased against Bush, and has at lease 56 factually demonstrable deceits in it. Moore was even invited to sit with Jimmy Carter at the DNC convention, if you will recall.

Secondly, as you noted, there is a distinct possibility that Kerry wrote his own citations. That may have been common (I do not know), but most seem to think not, or not to this degree. It really becomes a problem when it is demonstrated that his accounts were embellished "above and beyond the call of duty." I agree that his commanders should have the presumption of authority, but that does not diminish now that they are seeing more facts and testimony in the case, and can reassess the data. Given the diligence that the mainstream media has paid to the Air National Guard record of President Bush, who never ran on his ANG record by the way, one has to ask why similar attention has not been paid to the SVBT story, particularly in light of the relative difference in witnesses and documentation. As for Dole and G.H.W. Bush, if there is an issue about their Purple Hearts, I would find it difficult to believe at best (in light of the attacks on the President's ANG record) that if there was something there, they would have been called on it. Again, if you have something, print it.

Why do you presume that I haven't read "Tour of Duty?" From your statements, should I presume that you have not read "Unfit for Command?" Given the fact that there are significant problems with "ToD" (I have too many dog eared pages and scribbled margins to find them all), which Brinkley says well be "corrected" in the next edition, and that it is testimony primarily garnered from Kerry's own notebook (see above for the problem with that), and that Brinkley did not inteview many significant players, like Steve Gardner, it is hardly the primary source for which you might quote for the final story. On the other hand, Kerry's own diary refutes his "Christmas in Cambodia" myth, so there are nuggets of truth in the book! Many of the people mentioned in the tome though, such as the crew of the Gridley, refute huge portions of it, if not call it outright bunk. As you note in your email, a perfectly objective source is not to be found here either. Similarly, as in the case of his military records, Kerry will not allow Brinkley to release his war diary for public inspection, making verification or refutation difficult. From the 8/21/2004 Washington Post
The Political Guns Of August Are Firing
Brinkley Wrote About John Kerry's Battles In Vietnam. Now He's Fighting His Own.

By Ann Gerhart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, August 28, 2004; Page C01
:"The Kerry campaign has refused to release Kerry's personal Vietnam archive, including his journals and letters, saying that the senator is contractually bound to grant Brinkley exclusive access to the material. But Brinkley said this week the papers are the property of the senator and in his full control.

"I don't mind if John Kerry shows anybody anything," he said. "If he wants to let anybody in, that's his business. Go bug John Kerry, and leave me alone." The exclusivity agreement, he said, simply requires "that anybody quoting any of the material needs to cite my book."

So why won't he release the diary?
Bottom line, how do you call the SBVT "liars" when they have at least as much, if not more, veracity and witnesses on their side than Kerry, or at minimum, a preponderance of evidence and testimony? You did not address how you could call them "malicious" either. Actually, you didn't address the basis for any of your statements. That is what I object to the most about your column: you call the SBVT "liars" without proving it in any way, not even citing the fairly biased Kristof article you sent to me. It is not just you either. This is the current tactic of the DNC and the Kerry campaign: smears and other ad hominem attacks on the SBVT without a single question being posed to the central figure, John Kerry, about the allegations. Nor is there any investigation or lawsuit aimed at getting his records to settle the matter once and for all. More importantly, the mainstream media is not investigating any of the charges of the SBVT. They simply parrot the talking points of the DNC/Kerry campaign. You will note that there was little hesitation to pit the full resources of the mainstream media in the case of the President's ANG service record, and it persists to this very day, including the use of forgeries by CBS to make the story fit their expectations! But you call the SBVT the "liars." Amazing.

The Kristof article you sent seems to try to be objective, but lost it in a few places, most notably where he says "But every enlisted man who was with Kerry on various boats when he won Purple Hearts and Silver and Bronze Stars says he deserved them" That is not the case, either in the case of Steve Gardner (on Kerry's boat), or from the crews of any of the boats within yards of Kerry's. Similarly, Kristof returns to form by concluding "And the Swift Boat Veterans, contradicted by official records and virtually everyone who witnessed the incidents, are engaging in one of the ugliest smears in modern U.S. politics." One has to wonder if Kristof has seen the records Kerry refuses to release, how he defines "virtually," and how he thinks that his (and your) unreferenced statements qualify as anything more than an "ugly smear" campaign. If either you or Kristof really did your job and pressed Kerry for his records, or even an answer, the true smear campaign would be revealed for all to see. I won't hold my breath.

Since we are on the path to enlightenment through newspaper columns, perhaps you missed this tidbit from Admiral Roy Hoffman, "the overall commander of U.S. Swift Boats during the period of Kerry's Vietnam coastal service." (see below). I think he might be a more relevant source than Kristof

VIEWPOINT: Swift boat vets' stories hold up under fire
Grand Forks Herald
Fri, Oct. 01, 2004

By Roy Hoffmann

WASHINGTON - Almost overnight, it has become an article of faith among members of the mainstream media that the charges leveled against Sen. John Kerry by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth have been proven to be untrue. David Broder, the dean of Washington columnists, got into the act this week with a column that appeared in the Herald in which he dismissed the Swift Vets as a group peddling a scurrilous and largely inaccurate attack on the Vietnam service of John Kerry.

How can the media discount Kerry's betrayal of all U.S. forces fighting in Vietnam, when he testified before the U.S. Congress in 1971, that all U.S. armed forces including his own shipmates committed unspeakable atrocities on a "day to day basis with the participation of all levels of command?" That is simply a lie. Not one alleged atrocity or even a specific accusation has been documented by John Kerry or anyone else to our knowledge.

Now that the memos that called into question President Bush's fulfillment of his National Guard obligations have been discredited, reporters and columnists have seemingly made a tacit bargain to treat the stories as two sides of a single coin. Its a tidy story, one summed up by Kerry's official biographer, Douglas Brinkley, "Every American now knows that there's something really screwy about George Bush and the National Guard, and they know that John Kerry was not the war hero we thought he was."

The only problem is that it's not that simple. Consider the facts.

John Kerry claimed on numerous occasions, including during a speech on the floor of the U.S. Senate, to have spent Christmas Eve of 1968 in Cambodia: "I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in Cambodia. I have that memory which is seared - seared - in me." When the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth challenged Kerry on this story, he was forced to backpedal. His spokespersons now claim, without proof, that Kerry crossed the border on one occasion, but they have conceded that he was not there on Christmas as he claimed.

And yet, in the looking glass world of today's media, Kerry, who lied, is being unfairly attacked, while the Swift Boat Vets, who told the truth, are dishonest.

The Swift Boat Vets have also called attention to the first of Kerry's three Purple Hearts. As an officer-in-training, Kerry took part in a patrol mission that resulted in a brief firefight between Kerry's boat and suspected Viet Cong forces on shore. The problems for Kerry's account of that mission, of course, are that there was no report of any hostile fire that day (as would be required), nor do the records at Cam Ranh Bay reveal any such hostile fire. There is also no casualty report, as would have been required had there actually been a casualty. In addition, no one else on the mission, including Kerry, claim the presence of enemy fire.

This is why Kerry initially was refused the Purple Heart by his commanding officer. It was only after he re-filed three months later, after the individuals involved had all moved on to other duty stations, that his request for a Purple Heart was granted.

In fact, Kerry's injury that day was consistent with shrapnel from an M-79 grenade launcher that he fired at the shoreline too close to his own boat not enemy fire. Kerry's campaign now has even admitted that it is possible this first Purple Heart was awarded for a self-inflicted wound.

So once again, Kerry was forced to change his story in response to questions raised by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. But Kerrys self-aggrandizing, medal-hunting behavior is somehow beyond reproach while the Swift Vets are blasted by media critics.

Whats most striking is that these are not isolated incidents. As stories like whether or not Kerry actually threw his (or someone elses) medals (or ribbons) over the White House fence make clear, this is a man not, strictly speaking, wedded to a single truth.

Hoffmann is a retired Navy rear admiral and the founder of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. As the commander of the Coastal Surveillance Force Vietnam in 1968-1969, Hoffman was the overall commander of U.S. Swift Boats during the period of Kerry's Vietnam coastal service.

Thanks again for your response. I think we both have learned something here.

Sincerely,

<Dimsdale>

P.S. You never did address those flip flops of Kerry's that I mentioned............

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old same old...they quote one another and the "Big Lie" continues in it's infinite, specious great circle...and we're supposed to be in awe of the NYT's Kristof's objectivity? What are they smokin' up there in Framingham, MA?

I'm surprised, however, that "Factcheck.org" wasn't quoted as the "ultimate source of metaphysical truth".
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Goat Reply with quote

If you want to get Mr. Holmes' goat all you have to do is print about a thousand copies of his column, print the factual rebuttals, (his own diary says he had not yet been shot at, his boat was the only one that left contrary to what he said, 5,000 meters and being shot at but only bullet holes were from enemy fire either earlier that day or more likely from another crew taking out the boat the previous day, not in Camodia according to his own diary) and pass them out at a mall, farmers market, etc.

Title of the flier "RICK HOLMES LIES." If there is one thing no journalist wants it is to be called a liar.

Goat=Navy mascot.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Holmes travels to Wellesley....

Quote:
The Kerry flip-flop myth
By Rick Holmes/ Metrowest Daily News
Thursday, October 7, 2004

Looking back at the epochal election of 2004, historians may someday debate which was the bigger lie: that the "swift boat veterans" actually served with John Kerry in Vietnam or that Kerry flip-flopped in his position on the war in Iraq.

The "swift boat veterans" who ambushed Kerry in August mostly didn't serve on swift boats. They served with Kerry in the same way I watched a Red Sox game two weeks ago with Pedro Martinez: We were both in the vicinity watching the game, along with 34,000 other people. The anti-Kerry veterans were in Vietnam, but they weren't in the boat with Kerry anymore than I was in the dugout with Pedro. The guys in the boat with Kerry back up his story, and testify to his courage under fire.

The Wellesley Townsman - con't
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: