SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Leo: "Self Inflicted Wounds"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: John Leo: "Self Inflicted Wounds" Reply with quote

Another pundit sees the forest through the trees...

John Leo wrote:
SELF-INFLICTED WOUNDS
By John Leo
Yahoo News
Sun Oct 3, 8:06 PM ET

<snip>

Media handling of the charges by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth was even more peculiar. Most major news media stayed silent for nine or 10 days as the story of the charges spread over radio and the Internet. A few bloggers argued that this was an attempt by big-time media outlets to rule the Swifties' charges out of bounds. It seemed that way to me, too. When big media finally did rouse themselves and address the issue, they tended to focus tightly on Democratic talking points, such as who provided the funding and were the Swifties illegal surrogates for the Bush campaign. In many news outlets, the adjective "unsubstantiated" seemed welded to the noun "charges."

A few major papers, including the Los Angeles Times and The New York Times, produced long and incurious reports on the issue, generally hostile to the Swifties. In The New York Times, Kerry's imaginary Christmas-in-Cambodia yarn was pushed way to the back of an endless story, along with the news that Kerry had told the Senate in 1986 that he had entered Cambodia on his Swift boat. The Times apparently had no room to mention that Kerry had told this story many times over 25 years and had described it as a life-changing incident seared into his memory.

But the life-altering experience of Christmas in Cambodia apparently never happened. It was a Kerry fantasy. The press yawned and looked the other way. Kerry said he entered Cambodia with a CIA (news - web sites) agent. But how likely is it that the CIA would choose to penetrate an illegal area with a clunky, noisy boat commanded by someone as inexperienced as Kerry?

Soon the words "discredited" and "debunked" began to describe the Swifty charges in news reports and commentary. Some Swifty allegations were indeed wildly out of line. But not all. Kerry got his first Purple Heart after alleged hostile fire, but nine days later he wrote in his journal, "We hadn't been shot at yet." No witnesses have come forward to tell us how Kerry's first Purple Heart came to be issued.

Then there was the mysterious third version of the Silver Star citation, an improved and glowing one that appeared late and that John Lehman, secretary of the Navy, said he didn't write or order to be written. Nobody came forward to explain how or why the citation improved over the years. Kerry refused to make public his journal or his full military records, and the media seemed uninterested in pushing for him to do so. (Compare this with the energetic media demands for Bush's National Guard records.)

Apparently only one media outlet, The Washington Post, made an effort to open up Kerry's records and received only six of 100 pages. On the whole, big-time media reporting on the Swifties was dismal. No wonder the credibility of the news media is headed south.

Yahoo News - con't
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I congratulate him on paying some attention, as that's certainly more than most columnists have done, but can he substantiate this?

Quote:
Some Swifty allegations were indeed wildly out of line. But not all.

Which ones?

NOT ONE allegation in UFC has been proven untrue.

What is he talking about?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

NOT ONE allegation in UFC has been proven untrue.

What is he talking about?

Well, at least he sees the forest...perhaps he'll start clearing some brush Wink
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sending him a chain saw and gloves. Wink
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
I'll be sending him a chain saw and gloves. Wink

Whats his email address?

If he corrects himself it would be nice for another article saying saying hey guys guess what i was wrong and in fact NOT ONE claim by SBVT is false.

Lets make him take that one sentence back.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:

Lets make him take that one sentence back.

I think "encourage" him is a bit more politic Wink
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:
Whats his email address?

It appears that the only way that you can respond to him is by making a comment.

And I only have one account on yahoo and I'm not willing to use it, so I'll have to set up another one in order to post a thank you note and a suggested correction.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
dmackto wrote:
Whats his email address?

It appears that the only way that you can respond to him is by making a comment.

And I only have one account on yahoo and I'm not willing to use it, so I'll have to set up another one in order to post a thank you note and a suggested correction.

I have a yahoo account I will use but I don't see a way to leave a comment either.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fabius Cunctator
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:
Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
dmackto wrote:
Whats his email address?

I have a yahoo account I will use but I don't see a way to leave a comment either.

I did some hunting around for his e-mail address. I have seen none, but there is a way to respond to HIM via Townhall. Try this:

http://cf.townhall.com/contact/columnists.cfm?ID=37&Post=9863

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui victoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non casu. Nemo provocare, nemo audet offendere quem intellegit superiorem esse, si pugnet." - F. Vegetii Renati Epitoma Rei Militaris, AD 380
Fabius Cunctator
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a columnist for US News & World Report, but there are no direct e-mail addresses listed on the mag's website.

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui victoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non casu. Nemo provocare, nemo audet offendere quem intellegit superiorem esse, si pugnet." - F. Vegetii Renati Epitoma Rei Militaris, AD 380
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:

Under the story on yahoo, there is a link to "Read/Leave Msg's" - there were none at the time that I read the story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: