SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stick to Your Bush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Stick to Your Bush Reply with quote

Canton, Ohio, Repository, 24 August 1877, page 2 column 3

Stick to Your Bush

A rich man, in answer to a question how he became so very successful, recited the following story:

I will tell you how it was. One day when I was a lad, a party of boys and girls were going to pick blackberries. I wanted to go with them, but was afraid father would not let me. When I told him what was going on, and he at once gave me permission to go with them, I could hardly contain myself. I rushed into the kirchen, got a basket, and asked mother for a luncheon. I had the basket on my arm, and was just going out at the gate, when my father called me back. He took my hand and said, in a very gentle voice:

“Joseph, what are you going to do?”

“To pick berries,” I replied.

“Then, Joseph, I want to tell you one thing. It is this: When you find a pretty good bush, do not leave it to seek a better one. The other boys and girls will run about, picking a little here and a little there, wasting a good deal of time, and getting but very few blackberries.”

I went and had a capital time. No sooner had one found a bush than he called all the rest, and they left their several places and ran off to the newly found treasure. Not content more than a minute or two in one place, they rambled over the whole pasture, got tired, and at night had very few berries. My father’s words kept running in my ears, and I “stuck to my bush”. When I had done with one I found another, and finishing that, took another. When night came I had a basket of berries, more than all the others put together, and was not half so tired as they were. I went home happy. But when I entered I found my father had been taken ill. He looked at my basket full of ripe blackberries and said:

“Well done, Joseph. Was I not right when I told you to always stick to your bush?”

He died a few days after, and I had to make my way into the world as best I could. But my father’s words sank deep into my mind, and I never forgot the experience of the blackberry party. I “stuck to my bush”. When I had a fair place and was doing tolerably well, I did not leave it and spend weeks and months seeking one I thought might be a little better. When other young men said, Come with us and we will make a fortune in a few weeks,” I shook my head and stuck to my bush. Presently my employers offered to take me into business with them. I stayed with the old house until the principals died, and then I had everything I wanted.

(Here the page ended and so did the story.)

I think, in the current election campaign, the moral of the story is obvious, even if it was written more than 127 years ago.Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: