SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential friendly TV outlet for the Swiftees?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Potential friendly TV outlet for the Swiftees? Reply with quote

I was just reading the latest Larry Elder column in townhall.com (below), and I suddenly realized: here is a daytime talkshow hosted by a known conservative.

Is it possible that O'Neill and the Swiftees could get some facetime on this show to appeal to the housewife/daytime viewer crowd? Something to offset the vapid Regis and Kelly, who (both?) think that Edwards looks like Tom Cruise?

I think it might be worth the effort to contact Elder soon.....

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/le20041007.shtml

Quote:
Debater versus leader
Larry Elder (archive)

October 7, 2004 | printer friendly version Print | email to a friend Send

Polls show President Bush lost the first debate against Democratic presidential contender John Kerry. Why? Bush failed to respond to Kerry's assertions.

Let's deal with them.

Did Bush irresponsibly use the "authority" given him by Congress? The president spent 18 months generating domestic and international support to deal with Saddam Hussein.
The president sought and obtained approval -- including John Kerry's -- for authority to use force. After all, Saddam stood in defiance of numerous United Nations resolutions and -- in a post-9/11 world -- what commander in chief could responsibly sit by and ignore a ruler who used chemical weapons on his own people; whose military fired on British and American planes patrolling the no-fly zones; whose regime paid $25,000 to the families of Palestinian homicide bombers; and who had ties (if not operational cooperation) with terrorist groups, including al Qaeda?

The intelligence community thought -- with good reason -- that Saddam stockpiled WMD.

Former Clinton CIA Director R. James Woolsey notes that Iraq admitted making 8.5 tons of anthrax, which -- reduced to powder -- could fill a dozen easily portable suitcases, and believes that Iraqi WMD-related material "probably" entered Syria months before the war. Former President Bill Clinton, on July 22, 2003, said, " . . . [I]t is incontestable that on the day I left office, there were unaccounted for stocks of biological and chemical weapons [in Iraq]."

Did Bush fail to build a "genuine" coalition of nations? The president sought and received a unanimous U.N. resolution requiring Hussein to come completely clean about his WMD program. Anything short would trigger "serious consequences." Yet Kerry wishes us to believe that "serious consequences" meant something less than the war. Kerry calls the current coalition "coerced and bribed." Even though he voted for the authority to go to war, Kerry's most recent version says, "It is not the kind of coalition we were described when we were talking about voting for this." In 1991, with a "genuine" coalition for the Persian Gulf War, Kerry voted against it.

Were the inspections working? Define "working." Even Hans Blix acknowledged that but for America placing tens of thousands of troops around Iraq, Saddam Hussein would not have allowed the inspectors back in. Iraq Survey Group leader Charlie Duelfer concluded, "Now maybe [Saddam] didn't have weapons today, but I think there is certainly evidence of his intention to develop those weapons once the attention of the U.N. and the international community changed to other matters." Meanwhile, under the U.N.'s oil-for-food program, companies from France and Russia -- among others -- aided Saddam in stealing as much as maybe $10 billion, with some money likely going into the hands of terrorists.

Did Bush divert attention and resources away from Osama bin Laden to pursue Saddam Hussein? Approximately 18,000 U.S.-led troops, working with some 70,000 Pakistani troops, patrol the Afghanistan/Pakistan border looking for Osama bin Laden. Would John Kerry support a knock-'em-down, house-to-house, pull-people-out-of-holes, stop-and-question-everybody approach? After all, Kerry said, as commander in chief, he intended to conduct more "sensitive" foreign policy. Does Kerry suggest that the commander in chief resolve one terror threat before going to another, expecting each terrorist to halt terrorist activity and patiently wait his turn to be dealt with?

Did Bush make the case that Saddam had something to do with the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks? The Bush administration never accused Hussein of specific involvement in the attacks. The 9/11 Commission did, indeed, find ties between Iraq and al Qaeda, but called them not operational. Should a president wait until they become operational?

Former Clinton CIA Director Woolsey said, "Iraq's ties with terrorist groups in the '90s are clear . . . with a decade of connections between Iraq and al Qaeda, including training in poisons, gases and explosives. There was no need to show that Iraq participated in 9/11 . . . describing occasional cooperation of the sort that is well chronicled was quite sufficient."

Is Iraq not even close to the center of the War on Terror? In December 2001, John Kerry said, "[Saddam] is and has acted like a terrorist, and he has engaged in activities that are unacceptable." A few days later, Kerry expounded, "I think we clearly have to keep the pressure on terrorism globally. This doesn't end with Afghanistan by any imagination. And I think the president has made that clear. I think we have made that clear. Terrorism is a global menace. It's a scourge. And it is absolutely vital that we continue, for instance, Saddam Hussein."

Should the United States have "tested" Iran by providing them with nuclear fuel? Even the Iranians scoffed at Kerry's assertion, pointing out they are capable of making their own nuclear fuel. "One should not put one's fate in the hands of others. It would [be] irrational," said Iran Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi. "What guarantees are there? Will they supply us one day, and then if they want to, stop supplying us another day?"

Come Nov. 2, expect the American people to draw a distinction between a debater and a leader.

©2004 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential friendly TV outlet for the Swiftees? Reply with quote

Dimsdale wrote:
I was just reading the latest Larry Elder column in townhall.com (below), and I suddenly realized: here is a daytime talkshow hosted by a known conservative.

Is it possible that O'Neill and the Swiftees could get some facetime on this show to appeal to the housewife/daytime viewer crowd? Something to offset the vapid Regis and Kelly, who (both?) think that Edwards looks like Tom Cruise?

I think it might be worth the effort to contact Elder soon.....

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/le20041007.shtml

[/quote]

what station is this on? I've never heard of him before...
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a new talk show. It comes on at 9:00am on CBS (don't hold that against him!) in Massachusetts. Elder is a black conservative voice that has been on Hannity as a guest I believe.

His bio:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:2jgLUBrO0GIJ:www.townhall.com/columnists/BIOS/cbelder.html+Larry+Elder+bio&hl=en

LARRY ELDER

Laurence A. Elder was born and raised in South Central Los Angeles. He attended Brown University, receiving a bachelor of arts degree in political science in 1974. He then attended the University of Michigan School of Law, graduating with his J.D. in 1977.

Immediately following graduation, Elder worked with a large law firm in Cleveland, Ohio, where he practiced litigation. He then opened "Laurence A. Elder and Associates," a business specializing in recruiting experienced attorneys. At the same time, he hosted a topic-oriented television show in Cleveland, first on PBS and then on the local Fox affiliate. He has written numerous articles, published in the Miami Herald, Tampa Tribune, Chicago Tribune, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Akron Beacon Journal and many others. He currently publishes a monthly newsletter, "The Elder Statement," and writes a nationally syndicated newspaper column through Creators Syndicate.

Elder has been the subject of a profile by "60 Minutes" and sat in for the groundbreaking PBS "National Desk" segment, "Redefining Racism: Fresh Voices From Black America." He has also appeared on: "Oprah," "MacNeil-Lehrer," "Rolanda," "Larry King Live," "Hard Copy," "CNN News," C-SPAN, "CNN Talk Back Live," "Today Show," "Politically Incorrect," "Geraldo," "Charles Grodin," "Extra," "This Week with David Brinkley," and "The Late, Late Show With Tom Snyder."

Currently, Elder is establishing the Larry Elder Foundation, a non-profit organization that will contribute to groups and individuals offering non-government, self-help solutions to problems of poverty, crime, poor parenting, dependency, and education.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read any of his columns so far that I didn't absolutely agree with.

Maybe if a few of us were to send the contact information to him and suggest speakers?

Swifts are trying to get speakers out to all 50 states, every VFW and church group and sewing circle that wants them. Radio reaches a much wider audience, so I'll bet they could provide someone to appear on Mr. Elder's show.

This bunch has some top-notch speakers among them, that's for sure. And they don't shy away from answering any question that's thrown at them.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elder is *brilliant*

He's definitely not one of the 99.8% of lawyers that give the rest a good name.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: