SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WaPo: Upriver (cough cough) review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: WaPo: Upriver (cough cough) review Reply with quote

It's going to be a tough coupl'a days reading this tripe...

Quote:
A Focused Friend
Years Ago, 'Upriver' Filmmaker George Butler Trained His Camera on John Kerry
By David Segal
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, October 2, 2004; Page C01

NEW YORK

<snip>

These were all dramatic but dimly remembered events until August, when a group of Swift boat veterans began running TV ads that accused Kerry of exaggerating his war valor and slandering the military with his claim as a 27-year-old that U.S. atrocities in Vietnam were commonplace. For several weeks the campaign for the presidency was about little else. Kerry's service record was reexamined and the allegations of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, as the anti-Kerry force called itself, were given a vigorous frisking. (Me#1 - frisking? Undoubtedly MSM's unfamiliarity with the lexicon of the medium that's rendering them obsolete)

The charges -- among them, that the Massachusetts senator had unfairly finagled some of his medals -- have mostly wilted under the attention. (Me#1 - attention? Right.) But the candidate's time in Vietnam was suddenly controversial, instead of the vote-winning asset it seemed like a few months ago.

Butler, now 60, dismisses the kerfuffle with a single, unprintable word. (It translates, roughly, as "nonsense.") "Upriver" is not intended as a rebuttal to Kerry's antagonists, none of whom is among the handful of present-day interviews in the film. He considers them liars, for one thing, and he says there wasn't room for their viewpoint in the tight narrative arc of this 90-minute movie.

The absence of naysayers, and Butler's friendship with Kerry, will no doubt lead Republicans to dismiss "Going Upriver" as sophisticated agitprop disguised as an evenhanded account of the facts. But if this is a campaign movie, it's a pretty unconventional one: It never mentions Kerry's campaign for the presidency, nor is there any recent video or audio of Kerry. There's little critical here, but Butler, in the interview, mentions details that a dedicated lionizer would have left out (that some members of the VVAW thought Kerry was a spotlight-hogging stiff, for instance). Most of the movie is just unblinking archival film and photographs of the fighting in Vietnam and of Kerry's brief, impassioned career in the antiwar movement.

Washington Post - con't
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, is this the "prequal" to "The New Soldier" ?
Butler is listed as an editor on the cover of "The New Soldier".

Disgusting.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRISKING???? LOLOL!!!!!

We don't need no frisking ignorant reporters telling us what this movie is!
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh I just finished with Eberts letter. Is every single critic in the world a dirty liberal?

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:
Ugh I just finished with Eberts letter. Is every single critic in the world a dirty liberal?

Pret much - except for Michael Medved...
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylin19 wrote:
so, is this the "prequal" to "The New Soldier" ?
Butler is listed as an editor on the cover of "The New Soldier".

Disgusting.

I believe that Butler also took most or all of the pictures inside that nasty piece of filth and the picture of the cover.

It is he that has threatened a couple of web site owners for copyright infringement for putting the cover of that book on their web sites.

Several hundred of us began a concerted effort to plaster the internet with that picture in protest. Using that photo to illustrate our opinion about what a poser fraud freak Kerry is is perfectly within the spirit and the letter of the law regarding "fair use."

His "lawyer" by the way, uses a yahoo email account. I wrote to her several months ago:

Quote:
What's the matter, Ms. __________?

Your law firm doesn't provide email service to its staffers? A yahoo email account, for Pete's sake! LOL!

You think you can make this picture go away by threatening Mr. Sampley? If you do, you are in for a rude awakening. Your threat has just managed to rouse many people to action who would have otherwise remained complacent.

I didn't care much for the cover of "The New Soldier" - I thought it perfectly illustrated John Kerry's contempt and disdain for the US Military.

But, I definitely care about the First Amendment and your attempt to squelch Mr. Sampley's right to show John Kerry in a truer light than the Kerry camp would wish him to be shown. And this isn't the first time that Kerry has sought to suppress publication of the cover of this vile, slanderous book. He won last time and the ad that showed the cover wasn't printed. Lots of people who should have seen that picture did not.

In that spirit, I will personally make sure that the picture is posted in as many forums and bulletin boards as I can possibly find. I will make sure that as many people as possible read your threat to free speech in this country.

You can hide behind the guise of representing "George Butler" all day - do you think anyone with a brain is going to see this as coming from someone outside "the Kerry camp?"

Are you suing the sellers on eBay who are selling off their copies of "The New Soldier?" Are you suing Amazon, Barnes & Noble?

Keep 'em coming __(signed name)____.... or.... __(name on email account__.... or whoever you are. You're contributing to the decreasing viability of your favored candidate. LOL!

LiveFreeOrDie
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the Swift Vets would make a documentary. Perhaps the same guy who made Stolen Honor would be interested.
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swiftvets against Kerry are all liars.
The Republicans are all liars.
Everyone else, including:
Mormans Against Kerry
Catholics Against Kerry
Vietnam Veterans Against Kerry
Jews Against Kerry
Veterans Against Kerry
Housewives Against Kerry
on and on..........
are also - all liars.

So, just one question about George's film. Did he tell the audience that
the Kerry films from back in Vietanm were by and large faked by Kerry?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: