SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deer Hunter Kerry - Poser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Deer Hunter Kerry - Poser Reply with quote

http://www.powerlineblog.com/

The Deer Hunter

We know that John Kerry has incorporated Apocalypse Now into his own rich fantasy life. It appears that Kerry (whom we have described as the Walter Mitty of Presidential candidates) may also have drawn on another Vietnam era movie, The Deer Hunter.

Mike Schneider wrote us to point to a post he did on his blog, Travelling Shoes:

Senator von Munchausen
From this month's Field and Stream comes this tidbit in an interview with John "The Fabulist" Kerry.

F&S: What's the biggest deer you ever killed?

Kerry: Probably an 8-pointer, something like that. Nothing terribly big...I once had an incredible encounter with the most enormous buck - I don't know, 16 points or something. It was just huge. And I failed to pull the trigger at the right moment. I was hunting down in Massachusetts, on the Cape.

Holy Cats! A 16-pointer that got away, and on Cape Cod no less!

Two things: First, an 8 pointer would be huge, a buck of a life-time for most guys. And a 16-pointer would be the grand-daddy of all New England deer, in fact, it'd be close to a Massachusett record.

Second, no one hunts deer on Cape Cod. In fact anti-hunting activists are particularly active on the Cape.

He wasn't in Cambodia, it's beginning to look like he didn't run the Boston Marathon, and now this.

Perhaps it's time we started calling him Senator Munchhausen.

If you go to Mike's site, he has links to the Field and Stream article, information about deer hunting in Massachusetts, and on Kerry's participation (or lack thereof) in the Boston Marathon. Having spent a little time on Cape Cod, it is hard to imagine that anyone would hunt deer there. Let alone bag the biggest deer in Massachusetts history!

UPDATE: Reader Steve St. Clair wrote to say that there are indeed deer on Cape Cod. It's an interesting Google point: If you Google "deer hunting on Cape Cod," as Mike Schneider did, you get nothing. But Googling "deer hunting cape cod" does generate some entries, although I'm still skeptical that there are record-setting racks hiding among the sand dunes. Which would make the Kerry's anecdote more of a fish story than a fable. In any event, note the lightning-fast corrections you get in the blogosphere!
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F&S What's the biggest deer you ever killed?

Kerry: Probably an 8-pointer, something like that
Any deer hunter can tell you exactly the size of his largest buck, not "probably" "something like that". Come on, if someone asked me, I could tell them exactly how many points my largest buck was, and show them to my living room to prove it. Sen. Kerry seems so "unsure" about how many points his largest buck was, come on, sounds like a story to me!

Also, what in the world is he doing hunting on Cape Cod when he (well actually Teresa) has a place in Idaho???
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: How many medals did you throw away?

A: Four, five, six, I don't know.

Liars are alwasy vague so they can't be pinned down. Kerry really starts to squirm when asked to be precise.

Sam
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ord33 wrote:
...Any deer hunter can tell you exactly the size of his largest buck...

Right you are and a man of his ego probably would have mounted a spiker. A good journalist would have followed up with, "What tool do you use to skin and clean?" Or, "Did you have it professionally processed? Where? Did you carry it back to camp before hanging it? Did you use bearers?" (strike that last one)
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
ord33 wrote:
...Any deer hunter can tell you exactly the size of his largest buck...

Right you are and a man of his ego probably would have mounted a spiker. A good journalist would have followed up with, "What tool do you use to skin and clean?" Or, "Did you have it professionally processed? Where? Did you carry it back to camp before hanging it? Did you use bearers?" (strike that last one)

The way I read Kerry you know that is exactly how he needs to be questioned about his entire life. He has always been a poser. He did everything he did "so as to be seen by men."

What journalist or prosecuting attorney could do a good job of questioning him? Rudy giuliani? How about you?

Sam
stevieboy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we do hunt deer on Cape Cod. As a matter of fact we have five rod and gun clubs of which I am aware. I belong to Shawme Fish & Game in Sandwich. For the record, a lucky (or unlucky) motorist hit a 17 pointer on Rt 130 near our clubhouse in the fall of '03. One of our members retreived the rack. This size deer is UNCOMMON on the Cape, where development and limited food supplies yield a generally smaller deer than those found in other states. But occasionally, one gets to develop.

We all know that Kerry is not a hunter or gun rights advocate. That same issue of F&S has a two pager by the Heritage Foundation (I think that is the correct name) that shows some of his statments on deer hunting - pretty stupid. He talks about "decoying" (illegal in MA), crawling on his belly and sneeking up on deer. How phony.

There is good hunting in MA, mostly because people like Kerry and his ilk have done enough with gun control and the stigma against hunting to pretty much choke off the supply of new hunters. This has led to overpopulation in some areas, including Nantucket where he and Teresa have a summer place. Density there is 50-60 per sq. mile. You can buy two doe permits a day over the counter there.

I realize this is off topic, but if you love hunting and treasure your 2nd amendment rights, NEVER elect anyone from Massachusetts to federal office.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be the east coast count on the rack. Shoot, an 8 pointer is just barely legal out here (3 point rule = 6 east coast count).
WayCool
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if those license holders are available via freedom of information act.. bet buck he never bought a license in MA.

Why would someone with his $$ hunt deer in MA (no offense to MA resident hunters) ???

Purlease.
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never met a deer hunter who did not recall any hunt he/she's been on. They recall every single moment. If he can fake something as simple as this, how can anyone trust him for his recall in battle.

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The largest Deer I have ever seen on the Cape was probably half that size. As far as I know there is still Bow and Shotgun Seasons for Deer.
Not that I would not like to knock Kerry even more, but Hunting of Deer has not been outlawed in Ma. , if so there were an awful lot of Poachers running around last fall and winter. We still have Bow and Shotgun, but there are restrictions on High Calibre Rifles (too many residential areas abutting the Hunting Locations). Could be on the Cape they have done away with Rifles, but pretty sure you can still hunt on Camp Edwards.
Lance_Flatchew
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Ready, Aim, Fire...Hit Foot Reply with quote

http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110005632
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/news/article/0,19912,696240-5,00.html

How Kerry deer hunts: "Probably I'd have to say deer. . . . I go out with my trusty 12-gauge double-barrel, crawl around on my stomach."

Quote:
Ready, Aim,
Fire . . .
Hit Foot
Has John Kerry given up trying to suck up to gun-owning America?

BY KIMBERLEY A. STRASSEL
Friday, September 17, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

The political class was busy this week trying to figure out why, after months of sucking up to the gun-owning public, John Kerry tossed aside all his hard work and condemned the end of the "assault" weapons ban. Was it a play for the soccer moms? Were his advisers on a coffee break?

There is another possibility, one that even as I write millions of rural Americans are praying is the correct answer. Perhaps John Kerry has given up trying to pretend he's one of them.

Ever since Al Gore had the powder wrung out of him in key electoral states by the National Rifle Association, Democrats have been trying to neutralize the gun issue. And no one has worked harder than Mr. Kerry. Nearly every newspaper in America has featured him posed, gun in hand, orange safety vest at the ready, preparing to squeeze off a round for the history books. His stump speech is aimed at buttering up hunters and gun owners, and just last week his campaign declared: "John Kerry's opponents are worried because he's the first Democratic candidate to support Second Amendment gun rights and to be an avid hunter."

Now, Lyndon Johnson, who used to shoot deer on his Texas ranch from a Lincoln convertible, would undoubtedly take issue with this claim. But John Kerry's problem is bigger than dead presidents. Nobody alive is buying his act, either, and he has only himself to blame.

Watching someone try to be something he isn't is always embarrassing, but there's something particularly painful about watching Mr. Kerry try to convince you that you'd want him in your duck blind for eight hours. Certain elites still believe that all you have to do to fit in with "country folk" is put on a flannel shirt and gush about firearms. But none of that counts for much if you still don't know a gun rack from an art installation.
And Mr. Kerry has trouble on that count. Take, for instance, a July interview in which he was asked what kind of hunting he preferred. Here was our Nantucket Natty Bumppo's response: "Probably I'd have to say deer. . . . I go out with my trusty 12-gauge double-barrel, crawl around on my stomach."

Now, let's admit that hunters can do some silly things. They climb up trees and go numb sitting still for hours. They tramp across nasty terrain. They drink too much beer and pass out in their tents and then later lie to their buddies that they missed the biggest buck in [you fill in the state] by only half an inch. But most have learned that lying with one's face in the mud is not conducive to bagging a big one. Mr. Kerry seems to have confused his time in the Mekong Delta with his supposed many hunting trips.

His other credibility problem is his record. Guns have been a big voter issue for a long time, and there is no shortage of organizations on both sides of the debate to keep track of votes. Whether you ask the NRA or the Brady Campaign, the word on John Kerry is the same: He has voted for every gun-control bill in the Senate over the past 18 years.

That fact led to national snickering when Mr. Kerry was pictured in West Virginia brandishing a new shotgun that was a present from the United Mine Workers of America. One gun expert noted that in accepting the gun and taking it back to Massachusetts, Mr. Kerry could break certain gun laws (undoubtedly many of which he supports), at least one of which carries prison time. Oops.

The October edition of Outdoor Life will feature interviews with both presidential candidates. When asked about their favorite guns, President Bush responds: "My favorite gun is a Weatherby Athena 20 gauge." Mr. Kerry says (reminding us yet again where he was 35 years ago): "My favorite gun is the M-16 that saved my life and that of my crew in Vietnam. I don't own one of those now, but one of my reminders of my service is a Communist Chinese assault rifle." So Mr. Kerry's favorite gun is an "assault" rifle designed for war. Funny talk coming from a guy who just went ballistic over the end of the "assault" weapons ban.
This all explains why Mr. Kerry is getting shot down in his gun efforts. This past weekend, while interviewing potential voters at a Pennsylvania gun show, I asked several if Mr. Kerry's attempts to look gun-friendly had made an impression. Those attendees who didn't immediately bust out laughing or roll their eyes noted that it was the past 20 years that would matter when they entered the voting booth, not the past 20 months.

So here is a little advice from gun-owning America to you, John. Stop, please. Before you really do shoot yourself in the foot.

Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so pathetic that he has to resort to lying about hunting. I have been hunting since I was 12, and I can remember every shot I have taken. I will bet most avid hunters can.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: