SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

True? Dick Cheney AWOL from Senate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: True? Dick Cheney AWOL from Senate Reply with quote

A liberal friend sent this to me. How do I counter?

The extended entry has the presiding officers over the last four years for every Tuesday session.

Diaries :: Dave the pro's diary ::
Here is a list of the Senate's Acting Presidents for every Tuesday session for 2001.

January 30 - Enzi
February 6 - Chafee
February 13 - Chafee
February 27 - Allen
March 6 - Burns
March 13 - Reid
March 20 - DeWine
March 27 - Chafee
April 3 - Smith
April 24 - Chafee
May 1 - Chafee
May 8 - Chafee
May 15 - Frist
May 22 - Chafee
June 5 - Enzi
June 12 - Byrd
June 19 - Carper
June 26 - Bayh
July 10 - Nelson
July 17 - Clinton
July 24 - Byrd
July 31 - Stabenaw
September 25 - Wellstone
October 2 - Clinton
October 9 - Clinton
October 16 - Edwards!!!!!
October 23- Byrd
October 30 - Bingaman
November 13 - Murray
November 27 - Jeffords
December 4 - Stabenaw
December 11 - Carnahan
December 18 - Nelson

A reward to whoever finds a Tuesday in 2002, 2003 or 2004 that Dick Cheney fulfilled his duties as President of the Senate here:

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/crecord/index.html

Tue 1/29 - Nelson
Tue 2/5 - Kohl
Tue 2/12 - Stabenow
Tue 2/26 - Landrieu
Tue 3/5 - Edwards
Tue 3/12 - Landrieu
Tue 3/19 - Miller
Tue 4/9 - Cleland
Tue 4/16 - Reed
Tue 4/23 - Wellstone
Tue 4/30 - Nelson
Tue 5/7 - Miller
Tue 5/14 - Cleland
Tue 5/21 - Nelson
Tue 6/4 - Durbin
Tue 6/11 - Corzine
Tue 6/18 - Dayton
Tue 6/25 - Landrieu
Tue 7/9 - Reed
Tue 7/16 - Corzine
Tue 7/23 - Reed
Tue 7/30 - Clinton
Tue 9/3 - Reed
Tue 9/10 - Corzine
Tue 9/17 - Reid
Tue 9/24 - Stabenow
Tue 10/1 - Miller
Tue 10/8 - Miller
Tue 10/15 - Reid
Tue 11/12 - CHENEY! -- WE HAVE A WINNER!
Tue 11/19 - Barkley (MN)

Jan 7 *Cheney*
Jan 14 Stevens
Jan 22 Stevens
Jan 28 Stevens
Feb 4 Stevens
Feb 11 Stevens
Feb 25 Stevens
Mar 4 Stevens
Mar 11 Stevens
Mar 18 Stevens
Mar 25 Stevens
Apr 1 Stevens
Apr 8 Stevens
Apr 29 Stevens
May 6 Talent
May 13 Ensign
May 20 Alexander
June 3 Stevens
June 10 Stevens
June 18 Murkowski
June 24 Coleman
July 8 Stevens
July 15 Stevens
July 22 Chaffee
July 29 Stevens
Sept 2 Stevens
Sept 9 Stevens
Sept 16 Stevens
Sept 23 Stevens
Sept 30 Sununu
Oct 21 Stevens
Oct 28 Stevens
Nov 4 Stevens
Nov 11 Warner
Nov 18 Stevens
Dec 9 Stevens

1/20 - Stevens
1/27 - Enzi
2/3 - Stevens
2/10 - Stevens
3/2 - Stevens
3/9 - Hagel
3/16 - Sununu
3/23 - Stevens
3/30 - Ensign
4/6 - Cornyn
4/20 - Stevens
4/27 - Chambliss
5/4 - Stevens
5/11 - Stevens
5/18 - Stevens
6/1 - Stevens
6/8 - Hutchinson
6/15 - Stevens
6/22 - Allard
7/6 - Burns
7/13 - Stevens
7/20 - Enzi
9/7 - Stevens
9/14 - Chafee
9/21 - Enzi
9/28 - Stevens
10/05 - Stevens
Lance_Flatchew
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheney has real excutive duties as VP.

If they are referring to his statement that he met with them most Tuesdays, he was talking about breakfast.

If you were to look at Al Gores tenure as VP, you will find a similar pattern.

The VP is usually only in the Senate when there is a chance of a tie vote. He will be there to break it.
Chicago
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter with the facts:

VP responsibilities

"The vice president serves as president of the Senate, formally presiding over Senate deliberations. Even this constitutional responsibility is limited, giving the vice president a vote on Senate bills and resolutions only if there is a tie vote. Because of this limited role in the Senate, the vice president rarely comes to the chamber. The Senate selects a president pro tempore (temporary president), who supervises the Senate most of the time. The vice president also presides over a joint session of Congress when it formally counts electoral votes for presidential elections."

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpages/RefArticle.aspx?refid=761556365

The Vice President has a real job, and it's not babysitting the Senate![/url]
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheney said:
Quote:
Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session.

Cheney said that he was in the Senate most tuesdays, not that he was the acting president of the Senate most tuesdays. Since Edwards was never there, I'm sure he didn't know that.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Got what I needed from the Swiftie Encyclopeida.

Sam
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick Army was on Fox today and said he was the main person in the house whos duties dealt with the senate on legislation for eight years and not once did he deal with Kerry or Edwards or talk to them about any bill.
The Ghost
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe what cheney said was that he generally shows up at the senate on tuesdays ,,not that he does any official business there or would it be necessary to show up on records
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Senate Protocol Reply with quote

The Senate as a matter of protocol rotates the presiding officer duties of the day among the many Senators. It is not the duty of the VP to be present at every session for the entir time. The VP and most of the Senate is not present every day. There is also a ceremonial President pro Tem who is the senior Senator in the body. The Veep has other duties to attend to and does. On the other hand Kerry and Edwards have indeed been AWOL for almost the entire campaign back to the primaries. They have missed committee meeting and votes constantly. For Edwards it is of no consequence as he his out anyway since he didn't even run for re-election. (found out he'd lose) Kerry will go back to one of his mansions and continue as the Jr. Senator till Teddy finally fades out in a stupor.

Your liberal friends never had a civics course obviously.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TURN THIS AROUND ON YOU LIBERAL FRIEND!!!

Cheney is not "required" to take part in Senate except to break a tie vote.

John Edwards, however, was elected to a FULL TIME JOB in the Senate.

Since your liberal friend was so diligent in ERRONEOUSLY proving
that Cheney was not doing his job, turn it around on your friend.

Ask him to be as diligent in proving that Edwards was fulfilling his
full time job in the Senate!
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Kerry for that matter. I think it is safe to say that his attendance this past year has been almost non-existent, even for important votes.
The Ghost
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see edwards name on the list once ,,that is one more then kerry
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doesn't take away the fact that Kerry and Edwards are no shows...
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: AWOL Senators Reply with quote

Neither one has attended to the duties they were elected to. Both have been absent, notably for recent votes. Kerry because he is tooooo important. Edwards seems to not give a Rat's rearend. He is gone anyway and has not even served his full first term. I would consider Senator Gone a lightweight deadbeat. At least Sen. Dole had the decency to resign in favor of his constituents in the campaign. Lieberman in '04 tried to fulfill his duties and returned to them. (Joe Lieberman has been on of few honorable Democrats. Ideology aside) Senator Beavis and Butthead might be appropriate comparisons.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me that Swifties are the most potent political action group in America. Mostly because of the expertise and commitment of who the Swifties are collectively. Is there a field of expertise that is not represented by this unique collection of people? Perhaps the after life of this org is as a political action consulting firm.

The knowledge collected here is better than an encyclopedia.

I have sung the praises of my brother in law several times on this forum. Below is how he edited your contributions to the question I posed about how to rebut a liberal.

Sam,

Thanks for the great work doing research for me. Here is the composite I made from the responses given by clear-headed rational thinkers whose brains you tapped for responses. Other than changes in time/tense/grammar/spelling, only the names have been deleted to protect the innocent (and my foolish liberal friend).

Please thank those who responded.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: October 8, 2004 12:19:00 AM EDT
To:
Subject: Re: Dick Cheney yow

Dear Misguided Liberal Friend,

Think back to your high school years. Remember that class in Civics/Government?
Responses are below, following the <snip> of your interesting, but irrelevant "log" that someone who doesn't understand government invested a lot of time in recording. What a waste of effort!

Read & learn!

On Oct 6, 2004, at 9:23 PM, XXXX XXXXX wrote:

"Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session."
--Dick Cheney

<snip>

Cheney has real executive duties as VP.

If you are referring to his statement that he met with them most Tuesdays, he was talking about breakfast.

If you were to look at Al Gore's tenure as VP, you will find a similar pattern.

The VP is usually only in the Senate when there is a chance of a tie vote. He will be there to break it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VP responsibilities

"The vice president serves as president of the Senate, formally presiding over Senate deliberations. Even this constitutional responsibility is limited, giving the vice president a vote on Senate bills and resolutions only if there is a tie vote. Because of this limited role in the Senate, the vice president rarely comes to the chamber. The Senate selects a president pro tempore (temporary president), who supervises the Senate most of the time. The vice president also presides over a joint session of Congress when it formally counts electoral votes for presidential elections."

Dick Army was on Fox today (Thursday, 10/7/04) and said he was the main person in the house who’s duties dealt with the senate on legislation for eight years and not once did he deal with Kerry or Edwards or talk to them about any bill.

The Senate as a matter of protocol rotates the presiding officer duties of the day among the many Senators. It is not the duty of the VP to be present at every session for the entire time. The VP and most of the Senate is not present every day. There is also a ceremonial President pro Tem who is the senior Senator in the body. The Veep has other duties to attend to and does. On the other hand Kerry and Edwards have indeed been AWOL for almost the entire campaign back to the primaries. They have missed committee meeting and votes constantly. For Edwards it is of no consequence as he his out anyway since he didn't even run for re-election. (found out he'd lose) Kerry will go back to one of his mansions and continue as the Jr. Senator till Teddy finally fades out in a stupor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheney is not "required" to take part in Senate except to break a tie vote.

John Edwards, however, was elected to a FULL TIME JOB in the Senate.

As to Kerry, I think it is safe to say that his attendance this past year has been almost non-existent, even for important votes.

I see Edwards' name on the list once, that is one more then Kerry. Still, that doesn't take away the fact that Kerry and Edwards are no shows.
Neither one has attended to the duties they were elected to. Both have been absent, notably for recent votes. Kerry because he is tooooo important. Edwards seems to not give a Rat's rearend. He is gone anyway and has not even served his full first term. I would consider Senator Gone a lightweight deadbeat. At least Sen. Dole had the decency to resign in favor of his constituents in the campaign. Lieberman in '04 tried to fulfill his duties and returned to them. (Joe Lieberman has been on of few honorable Democrats. Ideology aside) Senator Beavis and Butthead might be appropriate comparisons.

Since you were so diligent in ERRONEOUSLY trying to prove that Cheney was not doing his job, can you be as diligent in proving that Edwards was fulfilling his full time job in the Senate?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now give a proper thank you to my brother in law so I can pass it along.

Sam
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your efforts, BIL! If you ask genuine questions, our people will try to come up with the answers.

We have a ton of brainiacs, here - I am totally out of my league in much of the discussion, here - but I learn a lot, almost every day. It's time well spent, even if all I can do is be a cheerleader and post-shuffler and feather-smoother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: