SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good News Swifties !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashter
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Good News Swifties !! Reply with quote

http://www.indymedia.it/press_release_en.html

Press Release

7 October 2004

FBI Seizes IMC Servers in the UK

US authorities issued a federal order to Rackspace's office in the US ordering them to provide Indymedia's hardware located in London to the requesting agency. Rackspace is one of Indymedia's web hosting providers with offices in the US and London. Rackspace complied, without first notifying Indymedia, and turned over Indymedia's server in the UK. This affects some 20+ Indymedia sites worldwide.

Since the subpoena was issued to Rackspace and not to Indymedia, the reasons for this action are still unknown to Indymedia. Talking to Indymedia volunteers, Rackspace stated that "they cannot provide Indymedia with any information regarding the order." ISPs have received gag orders in similar situations which prevent them from updating the concerned parties on what is happening.

It is unclear to Indymedia how and why a server that is outside the US jurisdiction can be seized by US authorities.

At the same time a second server was taken down at Rackspace which provided streaming radio to several radio stations, BLAG (linux distro), and a handful of miscellanous things.

The last few months have seen numerous attacks on independent media by the US Federal Government. In August the Secret Service used a subpoena in an attempt to disrupt the NYC IMC before the RNC by trying to get IP logs from an ISP in the US and the Netherlands. Last month the FCC shut down community radio stations around the US. Two weeks ago the FBI requested that Indymedia takes down a post on the Nantes IMC that had a photo of some undercover Swiss police and IMC volunteers in Seattle were visited by the FBI on the same issue. On the other hand, Indymedia and other independent media organisations were successfull with their victories for example against Diebold and the Patroit Act. Today however, the US authorities shut down IMCs around the world.

The list of affected local media collectives includes Ambazonia, Uruguay, Andorra, Poland, Western Massachusetts, Nice, Nantes, Lilles, Marseille (all France), Euskal Herria (Basque Country), Liege, East and West Vlaanderen, Antwerpen (all Belgium), Belgrade, Portugal, Prague, Galiza, Italy, Brazil, UK, part of the Germany site, and the global Indymedia Radio site.

This forum and your testimonies taught me how this propaganda can be demoralizing to the US troops. So, I alerted the AF Office of Special Investigations about this site 2 weeks ago. I don't know if that attributed to this, but at least the US took action. Indymedia was definately up to no good with our troops in Iraq. Thanks Swifties Smile
2ndamendsis
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Thank Goodness!! Great News!! Wink

A step in the right direction
JimRobson
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please break this down for me. I need more background info to help me realize why this is good news for swifties. What are the issues?

Who are these people (ISP's) and what are they doing that we don't like?

http://www.thewebplace.com/
ashter
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/07/295145.html

go here and see this story, then you'll understand.
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very disturbing. Hope they keep those Fers off the air.
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW thank you.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indymedia has hosted a lot of truly objectionable material - and not just this attempt to demoralize the troops, but a lot of pro-terrorist propaganda - apparently they're also suspected of being involved in illegal activities, or they wouldn't have been raided.
sround
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the first paragraph of their mission statement:

The Indymedia UK website provides an interactive platform for reports from the struggles for a world based on freedom, cooperation, justice and solidarity, and against environmental degradation, neoliberal exploitation, racism and patriarchy. The reports cover a wide range of issues and social movements - from neighbourhood campaigns to grassroots mobilisations, from critical analysis to direct action.

The line "environmental degradation" really gets me; how many times
have you seen crowds of this ilk leave acres of garbage after their
rallys and love-fests? Hum...a world based on freedom? Go ask
a women in Afganistan or Iraq *who* is responsible for setting them
free? It won't one of these idiots.

(Starting to rant again Embarassed )

Mission Accomplished!!
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left wing wacko's in other words.
shadowy
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ashter.
Anybody who's doing this kind of thing probably has all kinds of nasty little secrets. I hope they get what's coming to them.
DaveS
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These people are pathetic.

I used to run with their type, all about the dope, and themselves. They are so twisted.

Glad I came to my senses.

I actually attended a rally where Jane Fonda told us we should leave the rally and burn the University buildings. We just laughed at her.
mangdawg
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're back up and running. here's some of the s*** they're up to;

http://nyc.indymedia.org/feature/display/120554/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: