SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goodbye Walt Jones - Semper Fi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With deepest condolences and the hope that springs eternal from the fountain of love placed there by Christ, who dwells within each of his children.

Psalm 116:15 tells us, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."

This poem has comforted many a broken heart. May it comfort yours.

When I am gone, release me and let me go.
I have so many things to see, and so,
You mustn't tie yourself to me with tears.
Be happy that we had so many beautiful years.

I give to you my love.
You can only guess how much you gave to me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you each have shown,
But now it's time I travel on alone.

So grieve for me a while if grieve you must,
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It's only for a while that we must part,
So bless the memories within your heart.

I won't be far away, for life goes on,
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you cannot see nor touch me, I'll be near.
And if you listen with your heart,
You'll hear my love around you soft and clear.

And then when You must come this way alone,
I'll greet you with a smile and say, "Welcome Home!"
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt's quick wit and direct style will be remembered by all.

We shall miss him.

Semper Fi, Walt.l

Thatisall!
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt,

Rest in Peace.

-- FDL
bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless ya, Walt.

Rest in peace, friend.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following remarks were forwarded to Carolyn and her family by RADM Roy Hoffmann, chairman and founder, SwiftVets and POWs for Truth, on the occasion of the memorial service for Walt Jones, SwiftVets volunteer.

October 12, 2004

To Carolyn, Family and Friends of Walt Jones.

In these remarkable days of computers and the internet, we can make friends and learn from those friends without ever laying eyes on them. This is how hundreds of military veterans came to know Walt Jones over the last several months. We got to know one another online.

The mutual respect that was forged between Walt and his fellow veterans was real and tangible. Many of us felt we had practically served together in the same unit. We inspired him, and he inspired us. That inspiration came from the same source of power that propelled Walt throughout his life. It was the same source of power that motivated Walt's own honorable history of service to his country. It was the same source of power that drove his devotion to and love for his parents, his brothers and their families, and his wife, Carolyn.

That source of power? Walt's commitment to the Marine Corps' core values of honor, courage and commitment.

To Walt, the expression "once a Marine, always a Marine" was not a slogan but a way of life. Walt was drawn to us and our group, because all of us place enormous value on the principles of honor, courage and commitment.

Walt was thrilled to be in near-constant correspondence with other veterans, particularly veterans of Vietnam where Walt served for 19 months. He wanted to learn more about a remarkable group of Navy veterans who patrolled the rivers of Vietnam on small boats. And he was eager to get to know an even more remarkable group of patriots - Americans who were captured and imprisoned, for years, by the North Vietnamese. Together, we moved forward.

Walt volunteered for the U.S. Marine Corps. He saw in us still another opportunity to serve. And he volunteered again.

Let me close by quoting from his very first correspondence to us. He titled it, "Honor." Walt wrote about the famous photograph of U.S. Marines raising the flag of the United States on Mount Suribachi. He called it "the most beloved and reproduced photograph in American history, one that has helped inspire our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines to victory in a tough campaign for our very existence." For Walt, that image was the picture of honor. Walt always closed his correspondence with the Marine Corps motto.

"Semper fi." Always faithful.

Truly, Walt was always faithful. Walt believed that honor, courage and commitment were not quaint concepts to be unfolded like "Old Glory" on Flag Day and Memorial Day. No. Honor, courage and commitment were the stuff of daily life. Honor, courage and commitment were living, breathing forces for good.

And they saw full flower in the life of a shipmate. Walt Jones.

Since Walt volunteered to help us, you might say that I was his last commanding officer. As such, let me state clearly that it was my honor to serve with him. On behalf of the hundreds of military men and women of the organization I am proud to lead, I give thanks for Walt Jones.

I wish Carolyn and the family and friends of Walt Jones every comfort. May God comfort you all at this time of loss and grant you fair winds and a following sea.

Most sincerely yours,

Roy F. Hoffmann
Rear Admiral, United States Navy (Retired)
Founder and Chairman
Swift Boat Veterans and POWs for Truth
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, aye, Admiral. Thank you, sir.
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Goodbye Walt Reply with quote

Carolyn,

I would be remiss if not to tell you how when I came here I was just wandering around looking to see what the Swiftvets had to say. Walt had posted about the cover of Kerry's book and I was off to the races. I forwarded it to my daughter and she forwarded it to as many Marines at Camp Pendleton as she could think of.
I've since actively worked to see that John Kerry would never wear the title of Commander in Chief. Walt's passion about that issue made it personal for me and I felt motivated to do something. I think that's what leaders do...move people to action.

My sincere condolences to you and yours and Semper Fidelis Walt!
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someday cyber mail will reach up to heaven but for now I look forward to the great reunion when for the first time we will meet face to face.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
jrwhite85
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never met Walt - but he sounds like my Dad. Let's strike a blow in his honor for the preservation of the Republic he fought for! Veritas vos liberabit - the truth shall make you free!

RIP Walt, you were a great American.
Old Dog
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to know Walt. He would come by my cube a couple of times a week and we'd have a rousing discussion about many things. He would regale me with some of his activities here and your comments. As you have undoubtedly noticed, Walt was "just a tad" opinionated and did not suffer fools, gladly or otherwise.

I can't help but think how glad Walt would be this morning (Nov 3) with the results of the election. I know he would join me, or I him, in thanking you for a job well done. It could not have been done without you.

Thank you for your service. Again.

A special thanks to you, Admiral, for your kind words. I shared this site with many of our coworkers and heard lots of great comments. Walt is truly missed.
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt's parents wanted me to express their thanks to all of you who have taken the time to write your condolences and share your thoughts about Walt. They are truely moved by all of your words for their son and my husband, Walt Jones. Thank you all. You are all great Americans. Carolyn Jones
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolyn, it's good to hear from you. I hope you're doing well. I'm sure that election day was bittersweet for you, to say the least.

I know that Walt was cheering the Swiftees every step of the way and celebrating the outcome of the election long before we knew.

Please stop in any time. Our best regards and gentlest condolences to Walt's parents.

Hugs and prayers,
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Carolyn,
I saw your latest post on the Bulletin Board and wanted to let you know that I have been thinking of Walt a lot the past few days. One of the wonders of this new age is that you can form such bonds with those you only know by the written word carried invisibly through space . . . which is also why I know Walt is still with us, happy in the knowledge that his last efforts in the larger world had a real impact, and validated his life and his ideals.
He helped me tremendously even by sharing the experience of his last illness with me, as you may recall.
God bless him and all of you who knew him well.
We shall all meet, once and again.
"Doc"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: