SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Fraud Email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.t.beagle
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Help! Fraud Email Reply with quote

We have an online auction site and receive 100-200 trash emails a day, most disturbing. Today was the worst, we received 3 emails from "George W. Bush" with the subject line "I approve this message" , unfortunatly I tried to copy it to my notepad but there wasn't anything there, and I deleted them off my server. The gist of the email spoke as if it were from the President saying "I am the first president to AWOL from the service..................... and so on. I was too upset to read it all. How illegal is it to sent email using someone elses name, and what can I do if I receive another. Is there a way to copy it or someone to forward it to? Is there a way to find out its origin?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do a "screen shot" or what some call "screen capture". Have the email open and all of it on the screen. Hit print scrn. Open "paint". In paint go to edit and hit paste. That will put it in paint. From there you can save it as a bitmap (.bmp) or jpeg (.jpg) by going to file, save as. You can also crop it if need be while in paint. Hope that helps.

Stolen Honor
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here to learn how to trace an email: http://www.visualware.com/whitepapers/tutorials/email.html

Stolen Honor
a.t.beagle
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Hopefully I will get another that I can trace and stop just a little of this insanity. Screaming at the TV accomplishes nothing. I have however secured three more votes for President Bush, and on a drive today counted 12 Bush signs & only 4 Kerry, in NJ thats promising!
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.t.beagle wrote:
Thanks!

Hopefully I will get another that I can trace and stop just a little of this insanity. Screaming at the TV accomplishes nothing. I have however secured three more votes for President Bush, and on a drive today counted 12 Bush signs & only 4 Kerry, in NJ thats promising!

You can probably go to your "recently deleted mail" and pull them back up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of a VET wrote:
Go here to learn how to trace an email: http://www.visualware.com/whitepapers/tutorials/email.html

Thanks for the great link! Very Happy
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Take seriously the election, but laugh too. Reply with quote

Take seriously the election, but laugh too. Keep working to combat this Crap, but laugh at the futility of these people. It means they are desperate. Make fun of them and they really go off the deep end. Be of good cheer and let not your hearts be troubled. As veterans in the service of our country we should know this. We've been there.

Citizen Soldiers all, serving still. God bless each and every one.
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post GM Strong!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: