SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Someone Please Explain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Someone Please Explain Reply with quote

OK, I never claimed to be a financial genius, but I'm not a fiscal moron, either--But here's something I just don't get--

Is there any rationale, even one that's full of holes, behind sKerry's tax plan?--

It seems to me that no president "creates" jobs--The closest a president comes to "creating" jobs, as far as I can see, is to fill the positions he has on his White House staff, right?--So that phraseology is just flawed to begin with--All the government can do is to foster an economic environment in which the private sector will expand resulting in more jobs to be filled.......right?--

So, if I'm not completely off the reservation so far on this thing, how on Earth would increasing taxes on the very people and corporations who are most likely to either create new jobs themselves or invest in businesses which will then grow and create new jobs benefit anyone at all?--

Am I missing something here, or is this all just simple, unadorned class warfare at its slimiest?--C
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, ma'am, looks to me like you have it exactly right..
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello CandiM,

You're on the right track.

One point though. Ask yourself if a corporation really "pays" taxes? The cost of the tax is built into the product. We "pay" everytime we buy a product or service.

Also, the hysteria of the deficit is a farce. Robert Rueben's policies during the Clinton Adminstration did more to cause the 3rd quarter 2000 recession by his paying down the federal debt.

For an intersting viewpoint on this subject -- assuming you have a nose for this subject -- is a short article on, "Debtor Nation, Without the Rhetoric".

http://mosler.org/docs/docs/debtor_nation_without_the_rhetoric.htm

It's an eye opener.

Keep on asking questions -- they are always more important than the answers. Wink

Cazador
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that John Kerry is by all appearances a communist. His actions with North Viet Nam and the Viet Cong, his lies about the war and those brave soldiers and sailors fighting it, his association with people who espouse criminal conduct, his interferance in Nicaragua, his ideas about North Koria and the war in Iraq, and his current fixation on globalism, all say very strongly that this man is a communist. And, it's pretty easy to see that his goal is the spread of communism, and that his fiscal plan for the U.S. has been crafted to cause fiscal instability.

This election isn't just a contest between polititions, but a referandum on all that we hold dear in America: constitutional law and the freedoms it gaurantees. It was no slip of the tongue when Kerry said the constitution should be interpreted according to the law. He really would make the constitution subservient to some other law, the law of Karl Marx or perhaps the law of Ho Chi Min. And, the easiest way to get Americans to accept changes that lead us toward communism is to cause financial panic.
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cazador wrote:
Hello CandiM,

You're on the right track.

One point though. Ask yourself if a corporation really "pays" taxes? The cost of the tax is built into the product. We "pay" everytime we buy a product or service.

.......Cazador

I understand what you're saying, Cazador, but doesn't that play-in to a similar principle?--

True, when the government raises taxes on a business, unless the increase is negligible in the extreme, it gets passed-on to the consumer in the form of an increase in the cost per unit of the goods or services that the business sells--Logic tells me that when that happens, the number of consumers who can afford the increased cost will be affected which results in fewer units sold, which, in turn, results in fewer workers needed to produce and/or maintain the product or service offered by the business which means fewer jobs.......right?--

Again, unless I'm just missing the mark altogether, I do not see any logic at all that would lead me to believe that increasing taxes on anyone is likely to translate to either a stronger economy or more jobs--

And, beyond all that, fewer jobs means fewer taxpayers which then means less taxes being paid and more people looking to the government for "aid" (and I don't even want to get into that!)--

I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor am I trying to "sell" the line of logic that makes the most sense to me--I'm trying to understand why some people.......apparently quite a few.......buy-in to what seems to me to be an empty rationale which doesn't appear to benefit anyone at all--I just keep thinking that there must be some alternative economic theory that explains how or why increasing taxes (on the "wealthy" or anyone else) would result in either growing the economy or creating jobs rather than having the exact opposite effect--

In other words, HOW ARE THEY SELLING THIS??--C
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CandiM,

Class envy is one answer you are looking for in how they sell it.

Remember that Libs try to make it seem like "it's not your fault" that you are poor. It's always someone else and therefore raising taxes on the rich will help us feed you and take care of you.

Indentured slaves through wealth redistribution.

It doesn't work but the Libs keep right on telling many what they want to hear.

Being poor is a mindset; Being broke is a temporary condition.

Also, the Libs love to hand out gifts in the form of welfare and entitlement programs because it makes THEM feel better. Never mind that the person on the other end is slowly losing his or her self-confidence to do it on their own.

They feel better giving the fish instead of teaching how to fish. After-all, if they learn how to fish, they do not need you anymore, do they? It is a very selfish trait.

Quote:
True, when the government raises taxes on a business, unless the increase is negligible in the extreme, it gets passed-on to the consumer in the form of an increase in the cost per unit of the goods or services that the business sells--Logic tells me that when that happens, the number of consumers who can afford the increased cost will be affected which results in fewer units sold, which, in turn, results in fewer workers needed to produce and/or maintain the product or service offered by the business which means fewer jobs.......right?--

Right!

Kerry has failure written all over his policies and his record.

Cazador
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candi,

Rob Peter to pay Paul and you can always count on Paul's support. Our gov't has goptten into the business of wealth redistrubtion.

I remember sitting through a macro economics course where a professor tried to explain how gtovernment spending increased economic growth. It was one of the most convoluted things I've ever seen. Basically, he said GDP was made up of consumer spending, investment, savings, and GOV't Spending. Then tried to say that a dollar taken in taxes and spent by the gov't generated more than a dollar in GDP by all of the "Jobs" gov't spending created. If your head is spinning so was mine Shocked

I had to ask a simple question to him, "Why is gov't spending different than investment or consumer spending?" After several minutes of twisitng around he said essentially "BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT CAN SPEND IT BETTER!"

The only Jobs created by gov't are IN gov't.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good and relevant question to this discussion is: Why do the Liberals do this?

I think there are two easy answers to that one:
1) It buys votes for them
2) It does create lots of new jobs for liberal-thinking people; they're the ones who end up staffing those new social-services jobs (and I strongly suspect that with their mind-sets, they'd be otherwise unemployed in the private economy)

Needless to say, all the people who benefit from this flawed system will not listen to logic about why it is flawed.

Last edited by Anker-Klanker on Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't imagine Scary advocating communisn. I'm sure he realizes all his mansions, $$, SUV's his family drives, etc., would be taken away for redistribution to the 'have-nots', doesn't he? Oh, wait--silly me! The leaders manage to skim the thickest cream for themselves, right?
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. My brother is the only one in our family who is voting for Kerry. We were a die-hard democratic family, but you are talking 30 or more years ago when it wasn't what it is today. Since then, I am a Independent and have voted for both sides, depending on who I believe is fit. I am an American first, not a Republican, or Democrat. Having said that, this same brother works for the state. He does his work for the most part, but does leave early when he wants and pretty much does whatever he wants and is not accountable to anyone. My youngest brother asked him if they were hiring, as he doesn't have a job. My working brother said, " Well if you vote for Kerry, I'm sure we'll have more jobs. Now, does that mean they will have more work, or just more jobs. If he can leave early and I know many more do the same thing,it sounds as though they have too many jobs now. I told him that too. So did my brother. We suggested he did his job and worked his hours and then complain about whether or not there is a job loss in Ohio.

Does anyone know what they talk about when they say Ohio has lost a lot of jobs, as they aren't around us and I don't know where they are talking about? Our "want ads" have been pretty full and not for low paying jobs. Usually you have to have a degree. So please, if anyone knows, please tell me where are these job losses.
minnie presley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: kerry communism Reply with quote

that is communism, kerry has the wealth, and we are the poor, that is how it works, kerry and his hanger ons live well as threzzzzzzzzzze said we are the common people
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlarsen wrote:
Keep in mind that John Kerry is by all appearances a communist ... And, it's pretty easy to see that his goal is the spread of communism, and that his fiscal plan for the U.S. has been crafted to cause fiscal instability ... And, the easiest way to get Americans to accept changes that lead us toward communism is to cause financial panic.

I agree. He's a demagogue and a subversive ... supported by an extreme left energized by their friends in academia and the MSM.

This is a terrible time for this country; however, we can thank OBL (figurately, that is; may he rot in hell) for bringing the erosion of America to the fore while something could be done about it.

-- FDL
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Kerry is telling you is that he is going to tax the small businesses. Kerry's largest contributors are Unions. If you tax the hell out of small businesses then you weaken the non union companies. That leaves the door open for John Kerry to give tax breaks to companies that do not ship jobs overseas. Large Union Companies. He will break small businesses and give their money to subsidize large union companies who have been causing the jobs to go overseas.
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bystander wrote:
I really can't imagine Scary advocating communisn. I'm sure he realizes all his mansions, $$, SUV's his family drives, etc., would be taken away for redistribution to the 'have-nots', doesn't he? Oh, wait--silly me! The leaders manage to skim the thickest cream for themselves, right?

Note Kerry wants to raise income taxes not have an asset tax. His wife's wealth is not affected even by a 100 percent income tax, She can either place all her assests in non-taxable investments of delayed tax investments. Kerry just wants to keep the upper middle class from getting into the rich class. To become rich you need to have enough income after tax to have investments that can grow over the years. High income taxes reduces those investments and reduces the effective yeilds.

Increased sales and real estate taxes would hurt Kerry a lot more than income taxes. Even death taxes are avoided mostly by the very rich via various types of trusts. The small/medium buisness owners were/are the ones really getting killed by the death tax.
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocsparky101 wrote:
What Kerry is telling you is that he is going to tax the small businesses. Kerry's largest contributors are Unions. If you tax the hell out of small businesses then you weaken the non union companies. That leaves the door open for John Kerry to give tax breaks to companies that do not ship jobs overseas. Large Union Companies. He will break small businesses and give their money to subsidize large union companies who have been causing the jobs to go overseas.

Oh Geez!!--All that "tax breaks to companies that outsource" stuff is just another huge red herring--As I understand it, the "tax breaks" involved are the savings on payroll taxes that an employer achieves--However, when they can hire qualified people to do.......say.......Help Desk or Tech Support or Customer Service or any number of other remotely-available functions for $5/hour in India when they would have to pay $30/hour or more to fill the same positions here and what they save by not having to provide benefits for the outsourced jobs, what they save in payroll taxes for those employees is chump change--Take that "tax loophole" away, and it's still cost-effective to outsource those jobs--

On the other end, any tax breaks that would have to be offered to offset that savings would be way cost-INeffective--It just doesn't make any sense--

Among the reasons why outsourcing is good for our economy is that when a business can save money by sending some jobs elsewhere, they can sell their products and/or services for less which means that they will sell more which usually increases profits and actually creates jobs, often better-paying jobs, by the way, and fosters R&D for new products and services which also makes for more jobs.......HERE--Not to mention the benefits that the outsourced jobs provide to the economy of the country that fills them, creating another potential trading partner for the very goods we are selling--

And beyond all that, all his weeping and wailing about outsourcing also doesn't take into consideration the whole "global economy" thing and how many jobs we INsource from other countries--Say, for instance, all the workers in Ohio who built my Acura--This Country insources far more jobs, and often better-paying jobs, than we outsource--

In short, the whole outsourcing issue is a pig-in-a-poke if ever I saw one--C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: