SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help from Vietnam vets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjanay
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Need help from Vietnam vets. Reply with quote

on another forum I post, I got this response:

Quote:
Michael unlike many here I am old enough to have lived through the Vietnam era. I think Kerry went overboard with some of his statements to be honest, but the Vietnam Veterans Against the War helped to get us out of that totally f'ed up and unthought out mess. I also think that the protests here at home over the war probably saved the lives of some of the POWs. Many of them wouldn't have survived another five years or so of captivity.

Vietnam is a case of us getting involved in a war with no real plan of how to win it and with no strategy or exit plan.

The Neo-Cons are trying to rewrite history to fit their agenda.

I know enough about Vietnam to know that we won practically every battle and in the early 70's the VC was destroyed. I also know that the North Vietnamese communists would have crumbled if we kept up the pressure.

I just don't have specifics or enough knowelege to counter this.

Can anyone help me out with a good response to this guy?
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1969 the troop strength was at its highest, around 543,000, at the end of 1970 it was 334,000 and at the end of 1971 is was down to 155,000. All the US Navy boats, PBR and Swifts had been turned over to the South Vietnames. We were leaving VN when Kerry talked before the Commission in 1971. so he is not responsible for saving any lives. He may have endangered more by his actions. I know the POWs received some harsher treatment because of jfk.
Daniel J. Hutchison
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: End of Vietnam War Reply with quote

In 1969 the draw down of troops had been started by President Nixon with an offer of early release from active duty for individuals extending 6 months (for a total of 18 months in country). For my part the army flight school classes were largest for those of us starting flight school in early 1969 and completing training in late 1969. After November of 1969 the army flight school class size was reduced sharply. By the end of 1970 this was changed to a release from active duty upon completion of 12 months in country. A large scale rift was avoided because many were glad to get back to work or school and did not want to sit around a state side post with little to do waiting for the rift. By July of 1971 many of the indivuduals in army flight school were out of teh South Vietnam Army.

As far a I am concerned the protests only contrubuted to the massive death toll after the take over of South Vietnam by the North and may have extended the US losses in the war as the North thought they could get a better deal because of the loss of the American commitment to defending South Vietnam. Henry Kissinger would be the only one who could tell exactly how much harder it was to end the war because of the damage done by Kerry and the other protesters.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help from Vietnam vets. Reply with quote

mjanay wrote:
on another forum I post, I got this response:

Quote:
Michael unlike many here I am old enough to have lived through the Vietnam era. I think Kerry went overboard with some of his statements to be honest, but the Vietnam Veterans Against the War helped to get us out of that totally f'ed up and unthought out mess. I also think that the protests here at home over the war probably saved the lives of some of the POWs. Many of them wouldn't have survived another five years or so of captivity.

Vietnam is a case of us getting involved in a war with no real plan of how to win it and with no strategy or exit plan.

The Neo-Cons are trying to rewrite history to fit their agenda.

I know enough about Vietnam to know that we won practically every battle and in the early 70's the VC was destroyed. I also know that the North Vietnamese communists would have crumbled if we kept up the pressure.

I just don't have specifics or enough knowelege to counter this.

Can anyone help me out with a good response to this guy?

Send them to this link
http://www.stolenhonor.com/documentary/program-excerpts.asp

Testimony that the Anti-War activists extended the war by 2 years.
http://www.videopa.com/kerry/excerpt2.asx

SBD
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Giap was the Commander of the NVA troops in Vietnam. General Giap said in his memoirs that had it not been for the VVAW and Walter Cronkite that the NVA Army was ready to give up in 1968 after the Tet Offensive. The Tet offensive was a massive build up and attack by the NVA Army and the Viet Cong. There were many American Casulaties but they did not come near the casulaties of the enemy. In fact after the Tet Offinsive there was not much left of the Viet Cong in fighting the war. Walter Cronkite on his News Report on CBS stated that the Tet offinsive was evidence that we were losing in Vietnam. TRhe year before that is when the VVAW began their demonstrations on college campuses. So the bottom line is that as early as 1968 we could have been substantially out of Vietnam at least not have had the battles that occured after the tet offensive. In 1970 and 1971 alone when John Kerry was doing all his testifying and flag urinating and burning there were 6901 American Heros that died in Vietnam. I suppose that with the fact the in 1968 the war could have ended in Victory and surrender of the enemy the VVAW, John Kerry, Jane Fonda, and Walter Cronkite can and should take the responsibility of each and every heroes name on the "Wall".
Al_Hawaii
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Tet 68 the Viet Cong were destroyed. It was Cronkite that turned it around. Even in the early 70s the South still had the capability to win. We had left the South enough artillery to defeat anything the North did, but we didn't teach them how to fight against a conventional force. Ultimately it was a conventional force that overcame the South and murdered thousands of our allies. It was the protestors here in America that caused that. Kerry is one of those responsible!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: