SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry salute
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Kerry salute Reply with quote

HELP!!
Just got a new book: the latest by Tom Clancy.
One of the protagonists in his book is a Marine Officer. His conduct when entering a room to meet his superior officer is described in this way:
he does not salute, but posts himself at attention. The explanation:
Naval officers (and Marines) do not salute unless either covered or under arms. This is a distinct difference from Army and Air Force officers, who do salute when reporting. Clancy is usually on the money in his details. Are there former Naval and Marine officers out there who can respond to this?
IS THIS TRUE? If so, Kerry had no business saluting at the Democratic Convention.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Geedunk

Thanks
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it right.

Navy people do not salute uncovered (which you normally are, indoors) or out of uniform.
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former Naval Officer it has always makes me uneasy to see a salute rendered by someone who is bear-headed, even if it is legitimate for some other branches of the service. Kerry's salute at the Democratic Convention was wrong for two reasons: one, he was uncovered, and two, his salute was a limp-wristed, curved arm, sloppy caricature of the real thing.

If you want to see an unfailingly correct salute, watch the Marine when President Bush boards his helo. The ultimate comes from the sentries at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

Nalt
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Kerry salute "nlm"
He gave it to us in 1971, and every salute must be returned. Time to return Kerry's salute. Evil or Very Mad

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's 1971 salute noted. Is the proper return salute rendered with the 1st and 3rd fingers barely curved and slightly below the top knuckle of the middle finger -- or are the 1st and 3rd fingers drawn all the way back and held down tightly by the thumb.

Nalt
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're within one arm's distance, it would also be acceptable to return him the salute Swiftly with all fingers tightly compacted.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Rurik -- you got me again! I'm shutting down now and going for a good stiff Friday night drink.

Nalt
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean covered??? I know stupid question probably, but curiosity has got me too much on this one, had to ask;/
Maereta
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanna,

Uncovered means not wearing a military hat. Not at all a dumb question - it does sound kinda funny if it's an unfamiliar term.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Covered" means just that. You have a cover on. That would be a hat. And unless you are armed, or have a duty belt on, like a Drill Instructor, you remove your hat when you go indoors. Of course the exception to that is if you are under 40 years of age, then you wear your baseball cap everywhere, including to a restaurant when you eat. It drives us old people crazy.

As for Kerry's limp-wristed salute, he was technically wrong, but only 3 people in the Fleet Center in Boston knew it. They were all in the FOX News control room. Kerry's handlers knew that it had been many decades since he had been taught how to salute at OCS, so they had him review some old Village People videos to refresh his memory.

Has anybody else noticed that Bill Clinton knew how to salute better than John Kerry?

Hope this helps.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
"Covered" means just that. You have a cover on. That would be a hat. And unless you are armed, or have a duty belt on, like a Drill Instructor, you remove your hat when you go indoors. Of course the exception to that is if you are under 40 years of age, then you wear your baseball cap everywhere, including to a restaurant when you eat. It drives us old people crazy.

As for Kerry's limp-wristed salute, he was technically wrong, but only 3 people in the Fleet Center in Boston knew it. They were all in the FOX News control room. Kerry's handlers knew that it had been many decades since he had been taught how to salute at OCS, so they had him review some old Village People videos to refresh his memory.

Has anybody else noticed that Bill Clinton knew how to salute better than John Kerry?

Hope this helps.

Another obscure question, not really importatn in the scope, but do you salute in civies?
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's preferred salute

http://www.thewebplace.com/kerrysalute.htm

(from Jimrobson)
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: saluting Reply with quote

Another obscure question, not really importatn in the scope, but do you salute in civies?

Good question AB: our DI never covered that one. You see the President do it all the time, so it must be okay. I would never do it, though. Except when I'm leaving a restaurant. Then I always salute the guy wearing a baseball cap. Drives 'em crazy.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: saluting Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:

Good question AB: our DI never covered that one. You see the President do it all the time, so it must be okay. I would never do it, though. Except when I'm leaving a restaurant. Then I always salute the guy wearing a baseball cap. Drives 'em crazy.

Thanks for the reply. Now it's got me wondering. Keep making people crazy, they need it!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: