SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NPR Ombudsman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: NPR Ombudsman Reply with quote

National Propaganda Radio has an ombudsman who can be reached either by phone or email. His role is allegedly to strive for 'balance' in NPR news and other reporting. See this page for phone number and link to email:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?columnId=2781901

I have a real dilemma with my NPR station. On the one hand, they are a local source of good music, which I love, and on the other hand, all of the extremely biased news and analysis from their network feed. I have supported them financially for years but have stopped since they refuse to allocate contributions to local programming and equipment needs.

I have written to both my senators about cutting off federal funding for NPR and have been told that NPR is a separate line item within the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and therefore (by some convoluted logic) untouchable. A cop-out, of course.

My favorite example of NPR's 'objective' reporting was on the morning after the first night's bombing of Baghdad. Correspondent Ann Garrels was talking to anchor Robert Siegel, saying that she was on her way to interview some 200 civilian casualties who were probably injured by falling anti-aircraft ordnance. Siegel interrupted with, "But Ann, those casualties would not have occured if the US didn't have planes overhead!"

NPR's reporting went downhill from there.

A complaint about some specific report might get a response from the ombudsman. Couldn't hurt to try.

Last edited by Schadow on Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NPR's reporting went downhill from there.

I cannot remember when it got any higher than the bilge deck plates
Dingbat
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely topic because the local station is starting its fund drive. I am sending them an email that says that I will be listening to the few programs I like (Car Talk, primarily) for free until NPR get's its act together (i.e., I'll be listening for free forever!). The ombudsman is useless: the response I got was like the one mentioned plus he claimed that they were balanced.

Gotta go and change XM channels...they are playing a Dixie Chick's song Evil or Very Mad

1/101st ABN Song Be 3/82d ABN Phu Bai.
Dingbat
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got off my duff and sent this to our local NPR affiliate:

"Regret to inform you that I am joining many others nationwide in refusing to contribute because of NPR's huge left wing leanings and unhidden support for Kerry and anti freedom for Iraq. Aside from the "news" rants, listen to Garrison Keilor sometime and tell me that he or NPR are impartial! No, I did not contribute to you last year because we did not live here then.

I will listen to a couple of the programs that I like (e.g., Car Talk) but I'll do it for free. If you do not get enough money to stay on the air, don't blame me, blame NPR. I have already bought XM so that I can get classical music without having to listen to NPR's propaganda."

1/101st ABN Song Be 3/82d ABN Phu Bai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: