SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry picks Edwards as vp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Kerry picks Edwards as vp Reply with quote

No suprise here really except for the possibility of shrillary, she must not expect him to win or she would be on board.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5365307

nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like Edwards, and I really respect the way he took the high road during the primary. But he's not enough to make up for Kerry.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakona wrote:
I actually like Edwards, and I really respect the way he took the high road during the primary. But he's not enough to make up for Kerry.

He has about the likability of Clinton. But tell me, what credentials does he have to be President when Kerry's cancer returns? Megabucks from driving up healthcare cost?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
But tell me, what credentials does he have to be President when Kerry's cancer returns? Megabucks from driving up healthcare cost?

Truly a red-letter day for the Trial Lawyer's Assoc...a wealth re-distributor only a heartbeat away from the OO...
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for the Honorable Hilary Clinton, Richard Gephardt or our very own Corrine Brown.....but a glad handing trial lawyer will do....

Yep he seems like a real nice guy...someone you'd toss a few beers back with at the country club and have a few laughs with...right up until it came time to pick up the tab. Wink

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what Edwards pays for his haircuts, $1,000, $2,000?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the announced turn downs, we knew someone had to accept Laughing

I find it odd that the media is silent, again, on his qualifications. Whenever a Republican was challenging the Democrat administration, their VP choice was raked over the coals as to there qualifications. So far, Edwards gets immediate acceptance.

That he brags about winning some 152 million in awards over the years and hearing him interviewed on O'Reilly some time ago shows me I'd rather not ever have him running things. He spouts good sounding ideas, but hasn't come back with actual plans so far. Like, wanting the Auto Manufacturers to increase the mileage of vehicles, especially SUVs, the hated vehicles of the liberals. The public wants the larger bodied, bigger engined and safer vehicles. He would have them gutted to tin boxes to increase fuel mileage, yet would block any attempts at drilling for oil in Alaska at Anwar. However, like other liberals, he remains silent on the fuel mileage of 4X4 pickups.

He's a pretty boy and an asset to Kerry's campaign, but not enough to pull it off for old Johnnie "leave em behind and throw it over the fence" Kerry. But, look on the bright side, I bet he knows how to pronounce Genghis Kahn Wink

Note to John, it's Genghis, not Jenghis Embarassed Razz
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I don't think it's fair to criticize Edwards just for being a trial lawyer.

If any one of you were injured in an accident due to someone elses negligence, or suffered due to medical malpractice, you would expect to be compensated for your injuries and economic losses stemming from it.

Insurance agencies have convinced a large number of people that trial lawyers are bad, which helps THEM, but the real truth is that there is very little abuse of the system, as an overall percentage of cases.

I would much prefer to criticize Edwards based on his policy positions than to indulge in the sort of class warfare that is the democrat's stock-in-trade.

Oh, BTW...

Although Gengis or Ghengis is a more common spelling, it's still just a phonetic pronunciation of a name that is meant to be spelled in a different alphabet than ours, so spelling it with a "J" is not actually incorrect, just odd.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - Edwards is a first term Senator who stands for nothing except voting against tax cuts. We can say it's not fair to hold the fact that he is a trial lawyer against him, but I would tend to disagree that this is somehow a noble profession that fights for noble causes.

Trial lawyers are the guys who go after anyone with a deep pocket to line their own pockets. There is nothing noble about asbestos litigation or what they did to Dow Corning, for example. It's all about how much money they can make with the big guys going after big companies (next target - quick service restaurant industry i.e. fast food) and the little guys going after the local ambulance company (Is your loved one in a nursing home....). Over the years they have rewritten the meaning of negligence and created a culture of victimization. I, for one, am tired of them and don't see what real value they add to society.

As an example - someone I know was riding her bike on a city sidewalk. She hit a crack in the sidewalk and fell off her bike injuring her jaw. Influenced, no doubt, by the idea that she is entitled to compensation, she sued the city for failing to maintain the sidewalk. The city settled out of court for $100K. The lawyer took $60K and she received $40K. And we wonder why local taxes can be so high and why instead, she wasn't cited for not riding on the street where she belonged.

I suspect we probably agree to disagree on this one and I'm sure there are a few good lawyers out there - and for them - I intend no offense, but in my book, anyone who makes millions off personal injury (such as John Edwards) has questionable qualification for the second highest office in the land, although he is the perfect moral equivalent to John Kerry and I think they will make a great team.

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like Edwards also, but don't like some of his politics.

Quote:
"Providing a free year of college tuition will eliminate the sticker shock that scares off so many kids"

"A great education starts with a great teacher. It's as simple as that."

I think giving everyone a free year of college is ridiculous...unless he wants to fit the bill.

http://www.johnedwards2004.com/education.asp

Quote:
we should offer tax incentives for companies to manufacture here in America. We should be exporting American products, not American jobs.

Quote:
He will give a 10 percent tax cut to corporations that produce goods here and keep jobs at home.

Like that would work. Companies here would get tax cuts, but if they decide to leave it will mean absolutely nothing. NO amount of tax cuts can compete with paying workers 8.00 a day with no benefits, expecially with no trade tariff's. It would actually only give tax cuts to companies that plan on staying for that period anyway.

Oops, I noitce the link to edwards site does not work now. He must be changing things for the run.

Claire
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Nokona - DOES NOT KNOW LAWYERS VERY WELL Reply with quote

ARE YOU SERIOUS WITH THAT RE EDWARDS THOUGHT? Have you ever worked in a law firm? Have you ever worked in the system in any capacity? If not, then clearly you are misguided. Edwards is the typicl slip and fall imbecile. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with making money, but he makes it on others pain and suffering, and then wants those victims to thank him very much. Oh how I could go on, but since you obviously know nothing whatsoever about attorneys, there is no point. Hmmm, then again, maybe it's just that you have a pending lawsuit yourself!
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living just 10 miles south of the North Carolina line, I read a good deal of
press about little Johnny. He will really talk up the 'I came from a textile mill family', etc.. What he won't tell you is that his 'textile mill father' was the manager of the damn plant. Poor little Johnny. Nobody in North Carolina ever heard of him till he ran for Senator against Loch Faircloth, who completely botched his campaign and let little Johnny slip in the back door. His rep for an ambulance chaser is duly earned. geeez It's Gentleman Johnny and John F'n Kerry on the ticket. I wouldn't spend 25 cents at a picture show to see the 2 of them. You think Slick Willy and Al Bore were bad??? Y'all ain't seen nothin yet. Crying or Very sad

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeWinn wrote:
Living just 10 miles south of the North Carolina line, I read a good deal of
press about little Johnny. He will really talk up the 'I came from a textile mill family', etc.. What he won't tell you is that his 'textile mill father' was the manager of the damn plant. Poor little Johnny. Nobody in North Carolina ever heard of him till he ran for Senator against Loch Faircloth, who completely botched his campaign and let little Johnny slip in the back door. His rep for an ambulance chaser is duly earned. geeez It's Gentleman Johnny and John F'n Kerry on the ticket. I wouldn't spend 25 cents at a picture show to see the 2 of them. You think Slick Willy and Al Bore were bad??? Y'all ain't seen nothin yet. Crying or Very sad

Mike,

Can you find some local press reports regarding the "plant manager" history. I bet Bush/Cheney and the RNC would love to see it. I know I would!

And another thing:

John Kerry's choice of John Edwards as his running mate is reminiscent of 1988, when Vice President Bush, rejecting candidates with more "gravitas," chose a fresh-faced young senator, Dan Quayle, as his running mate. To be sure, this comparison is in some ways unfair to Quayle, who was twice as experienced as Edwards (four years in the House and eight in the Senate, vs. just six in the Senate).

But the image of callowness stuck to Quayle, and it may to Edwards as well. The Associated Press quotes a quip from Comedy Central's Jon Stewart: "Actually John Edwards was 15 when John Kerry got back from Vietnam, but yes, he was in diapers." Today's Washington Post notes that Edwards "had just graduated from North Carolina State University when Richard B. Cheney first held a senior White House position, in 1974." And yesterday the Associated Press even ran a headline that read "Teen Wins Spot at Democratic Convention."

And in the June 2003 issue of The Washington Monthly, a left-liberal magazine, Charlie Peters told a story reminiscent of the Quayle tales the media loved:

Appearing on Tim Russert's "Meet the Press" some months ago, Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.) did not display a command of the information a president should know. Was this just a bad day for the senator? We hope so, but a story recently told to me by a reliable source is less than reassuring.

One evening while he was campaigning for the Senate in North Carolina, Edwards was faced with a choice of several events he might attend. An advance man suggested, "Maybe we ought to go to the reception for Leah Rabin." Edwards responded, "Who's she?" "Yitzhak Rabin's widow," replied the aide. "Who was he?" asked Edwards.

In fairness, we should note that there's no evidence that the Rabins knew who Edwards was either.

Of course, the Quayle pick didn't end up hurting Bush much; the duo beat Michael Dukakis and Lloyd Bensen in a near landslide. Americans might not have been thrilled to have Quayle a heartbeat away from the presidency, but it was better than having a bloodless Massachusetts liberal in the actual office. Not that there's any danger of that happening this year . . .

Tom
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ARE YOU SERIOUS WITH THAT RE EDWARDS THOUGHT? Have you ever worked in a law firm? Have you ever worked in the system in any capacity? If not, then clearly you are misguided. Edwards is the typicl slip and fall imbecile. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with making money, but he makes it on others pain and suffering, and then wants those victims to thank him very much. Oh how I could go on, but since you obviously know nothing whatsoever about attorneys, there is no point. Hmmm, then again, maybe it's just that you have a pending lawsuit yourself!

I posted a heated reply to you because I didn't see nakona in the subject line of your post at first and though you were talking to me, so I will edit it out. I should have saved it and gave it to Nakona though. I'm not sure why you would feel so threatened by someone liking the guy for taking the high road (during the primary) as kakona said and I also do. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking his profession or politics, which I don't particularly care for either.

Last edited by xsquid on Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the nicest thing the mainstreamers could say about John, Jr. this morning is that he is a good speaker. If this is where Kerry and the Bush Haters are hanging their hat, we shouldn’t be too concerned about November. Edwards is not the public speaker he’s being billed as, as anyone who has actually sat through one of his tedious “Two Americas” rant can attest.

Aside from that, though, Big Media was a bit, shall I say, under-whelmed by the announcement that John, Jr. will tour the country with America’s most liberal Senator. Observe:

Liberal columnist and presidential “historian” Jules Whitcover doesn’t seem to think Jr. has the experience to handle the number two job: “Mr. Edwards, after less than a full term in the Senate and having held no previous public office, can hardly be advertised as best qualified to assume the presidency if fate were to intervene.”

The pro-Kerry Washington Post agrees: “Is he ready to assume the presidency? This is a question that, since Sept. 11, 2001, has become both more thinkable and more important -- and it's one that, when it comes to Mr. Edwards, we can't yet answer with a resounding affirmative

… his experience in public life is confined to the single Senate term that is now ending; his few years on the intelligence committee represent scant training in foreign policy and military affairs, far less than would be optimal for a potential president in this dangerous time.”

A little further to the Left comes this little ditty from the Baltimore Sun, “…vice presidents can be prime movers in an administration. Mr. Edwards may seem a good choice today, but voters will need to hear a lot more from - and about - him if they are to make an informed choice this November.”

And The New York Daily News sees Edwards as little more than window dressing, suggesting he would even diminish the office of Vice President should The Johns win in November: “The vice presidency is not the top job and likely would recede from the prominence it has enjoyed under Dick Cheney if Kerry succeeds in November. Kerry seemed to signal that yesterday by announcing Edwards as his choice without his future running mate at his side.”

In their “News Analysis” the Kerry campaign’s daily circular – formerly known as the New York Times – had to admit the chipper little guy is a bit of a joke: “Mr. Kerry even took a risk or two in compensating for his own shortcomings, embracing a trial lawyer who has less governmental experience than any other major vice-presidential candidate in at least 20 years … While Mr. Kerry insisted that he would name a running mate whose qualifications to step in as president during a time of war were unassailable, he chose a 51-year-old who has served just five years in the Senate.”

So what will come of all this widespread dissatisfaction with John, Jr.? Well, Dean loyalists are preparing to challenge the Edwards nomination at the Democrat National Convention.

The early returns on the Edwards pick – taken wart and all – is that it’s a big bust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: