SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eisenhower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Eisenhower Reply with quote

Quote:
Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. -Eisenhower

Ike was way before my time and I confess that I don't know much about him. I ran across this great quote and wanted to share. Sounds like we need more people like him today.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son wrote his senior thesis at West Point (like how I slip that in? I am so subtle and smooth) on Eisenhower. He was a great leader, and my son admires him greatly. As a result, I am an expert on Eisenhower. Well, I hadda read the kid's thesis, and all. If you get a chance, catch the movie "IKE" starring Tom Selleck. It is really great, and you will crack up at de Gaulle. Whatta puke.

I am the greatgreatgreat (etc) grandaughter of a Declaration of Independence signer, and I can definitely see the revolutionary spirit alive and well in my family. Twisted Evil It is fairly common for one or the other of us to say: It is getting to be time for another revolution in this country.

Usually on April 15. Sad
rparrott21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Ike movie on the Discovery Channel with Tom Selleck..It is a good movie if you get the chance to see it...It's about D-Day...DeGalle from is a jerk in the movie...
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(If I ever had a kid go to West Point I'd slip it in too Smile ). Thanks for the movie tip, I'll watch for it.
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the Selleck movie too. It was very well done. I only wish it was longer. I am a bit concerned that Tom may get lung cancer though from all the cigarettes he had to smoke making that flick!
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike was the first President I ever voted for - and happy I did. Not only was he a great general and leader but as president he kept government to a munimum (perhaps his love for golf helped that)

I named my son Dwight D. after him
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike faced Stevenson in both elections (1952 & 1956). Before the second election, Stevenson, who was an "intellectual" tried to play the card that he was smarter than Ike (as I remember, I was 11). But Ike's brother was the president of a University, so I always figured Ike could beat Stevy in any test of real intelligence (sound familiar?). Ike made mistakes, as we all do, but he pulled the nation together after a bitter semi-conclusion to the Korean "conflict".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: