SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Requests Response Time to Sinclair Film
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muggedliberal
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Kerry Requests Response Time to Sinclair Film Reply with quote

October 15, 2004
Kerry Requests Response Time to Sinclair Film
By Doug Halonen
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry's campaign Friday morning formally requested equal time to respond to Sinclair stations' planned airings of "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," a documentary critical of Sen. Kerry's Vietnam-era antiwar activities, before the Nov. 2 election.

Industry sources said Sinclair has directed all of its 62 TV stations in 39 markets to pre-empt regular programming to air the documentary over several days beginning Oct. 21. Despite intense protest by Democrats, Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell told reporters Thursday that the agency doesn't have the authority to block the broadcasts.

But in an Oct. 15 letter to Sinclair President and CEO David Smith, Sen. Kerry's campaign charged that the FCC's equal time obligations require Sinclair to give Kerry campaign supporters air time to respond to the documentary.

"Please consider this a request that each Sinclair station that airs the documentary provide supporters of the Kerry-Edwards campaign with a similar amount of time on that station before the election at a time where an audience of similar size can be expected to be viewing the station," said Marc Elias, general counsel for the Kerry-Edwards campaign, in the letter.

Bona fide news shows are generally exempt from FCC equal time obligations. But the Kerry campaign argued that the documentary does not meet the requirements for an exemption.

"The content of the program will not be controlled by Sinclair or an independent journalistic organization," the campaign said. "The program instead is intended to be an attack on Senator Kerry and thus is not the result of decisions made on the basis of newsworthiness."

In a statement on the company's Web site, Sinclair characterized the presentation as a "special news event" and said it has already offered Sen. Kerry equal time to respond.

Also on Friday, Equity Broadcasting announced that its independent station WPXS-TV in St. Louis will carry the ABC programming that Sinclair pre-empts for the documentary. Sinclair owns ABC affiliate KDNL-TV in St. Louis. Equity officials said Sinclair plans to air the Kerry documentary on KDNL between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. Oct. 22.

"WPXS is thrilled to be able to offer an outlet for the popular Friday-night ABC shows that viewers would otherwise not be able to see in the St. Louis market," said Steven Soldinger, Equity VP of television.

In "TV Week.Com"

This should be very very interesting.. wonder what they are gonna come up with??
MikeM
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see, equal air for his BS to try and balance the truth?

Only Dems would fall for that!
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muller.... darn! the Kerry stations aren't givving Bush equal time! how disgusting! They'll turn Stolen Honor into another lie....
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guarantee you it wont be John Kerry defending himself, I think that can be assured.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should also have Veteran and/or Bush supporters there, or it will only turn into a Bush bash, with no fact checking!!

We should write to Sinclair and pleasantly request this.
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they request it doesn't mean that they are going to get it. The show is all about Kerry anyway and does not even mention Bush or any of the other candidates. So equal time doesn't apply if you ask me.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Please consider this a request that each Sinclair station that airs the documentary provide supporters of the Kerry-Edwards campaign with a similar amount of time on that station before the election at a time where an audience of similar size can be expected to be viewing the station,"

Interesting, I just re-read this, and they are not saying they are going to have someone rebut Stolen Honor before or directly after showing the segment, instead, it only says before the election. I'm sure there is some trick to this by the Kerry Campaign. They wont provide someone to talk about the POW's documentary, but they demand to have equal time to talk about something else, if you read it closely, they have wiggle room, and I bet they use it. If they dont provide someone to directly rebut the POW's, then Sinclair will have to have a documentary or something with big viewer expectations to "comply" with the Kerry Campaign request. Plus, it is kind of a weird issue, because Sinclair plans to air the documentary on its stations on different days depending on the market you are in (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), so either the Kerry Campaign would need a "representative" for each viewing, or the more sensible way would be they have one shot the first time it airs, and then Sinclair repeats their response to the other stations to view in future days/times.
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is outrageous. They offered Kerry time ON THE PROGRAM.....apparently he declined. Now he wants his own slot??? I don't think sooooooooooooooooo
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ord33 wrote:

Interesting, I just re-read this, and they are not saying they are going to have someone rebut Stolen Honor before or directly after showing the segment, instead, it only says before the election. I'm sure there is some trick to this by the Kerry Campaign. They wont provide someone to talk about the POW's documentary, but they demand to have equal time to talk about something else, if you read it closely, they have wiggle room, and I bet they use it...
They'll probably use the "wiggle room" so that sKerry can make up for what he really meant to say about his wife at the last debate, and switch-out Cheney's daughter for ex-NJ Gov McGreevy.
Bob_P
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagreen wrote:
Because they request it doesn't mean that they are going to get it. The show is all about Kerry anyway and does not even mention Bush or any of the other candidates. So equal time doesn't apply if you ask me.
I agree. The film is about Kerry. It should be Bush who is requesting equal time. It won't happen for the Kerry campaign.
rhv5862
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Kerry Requests Response Time Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how Sinclair replys. They have said Kerry was welcome to come on but you can bet anything Kerry will not be the one to show up. If Muller, there should be someone there to counter him. He says anyting to defend Kerry. Truth does not matter to him. He is Kerry's attack dog when it comes to defending Kerry's Vietnam Record.

RHV
greenvale
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't trust these people. He wants equal time to show his film..what's the name? Going upriver..without a paddle I hope!
Greenvale
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, crap Mueller and Del Sandusky Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sinclair has to give Kerry time, then PBS and all these other stations that have run an endless array of Kerry propaganda owe BUSH air time. Any day/night of the week you can find at least 2 broadcasts on somewhere touting the democratic cause.
rhv5862
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Kerry Requests Response Time Reply with quote

Muller and Sandusky, one can only imagine what these two would say to protect Kerry.

RHV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Stolen Honor" All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: