SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Guard causalties during Vietnam War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quarternelson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: National Guard causalties during Vietnam War Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been covered yet, but I am interested to know how many National Guardsmen were causalties during the Vietnam war, if any.

Kerry and his supporters make a point of saying that President Bush avoided service in Vietnam by joining the National Guard. It seems to me that even Bush's family would have a difficult time influencing which Guard units were activated. However, my primary reason for asking this question is that the number of causalties would quickly make it clear that this was not an avenue to escape combat duty.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here;

http://www.eiis.net/cmart/vietwarstats.html
quarternelson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only was the National Guard not a failsafe against going to Vietnam, George Bush volunteered to go to Vietnam at the same time as three other guys from his unit.

The two with the most flight time were accepted, and for good reason - the F-102 achieved all the aerodynamic stability of a falling refrigerator under certain circumstances and the maneuvers required for air-to-air combat often created exactly the circumstances necessary.

From Tim Worstall's Typepad

Quote:
Even in peacetime conditions, F-102 pilots risked their lives on every flight. Only highly-qualified pilot candidates were accepted for Delta Dagger training because it was such a challenging aircraft to fly and left little room for mistakes. According to the Air Force Safety Center, the lifetime Class A accident rate for the F-102 was 13.69 mishaps per 100,000 flight hours, much higher than the average for today's combat aircraft. For example, the F-16 has an accident rate of 4.14, the F-15 is at 2.47, the F-117 at 4.07, the S-3 at 2.6, and the F-18 at 4.9. Even the Marine Corps' AV-8B, regarded as the most dangerous aircraft in US service today, has a lifetime accident rate of only 11.44 mishaps per 100,000 flight hours. The F-102 claimed the lives of many pilots, including a number stationed at Ellington during Bush's tenure. Of the 875 F-102A production models that entered service, 259 were lost in accidents that killed 70 Air Force and ANG pilots.

TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered this thread tonight, so let me add a little to it.

Neither John Kerry nor GW Bush nor I, for that matter, had any say in whether we would be assigned duty in Vietnam unless we volunteered. Some of us did volunteer. Of course one could petition for 4 educational deferments and a fifth to spend a year in Paris studying French as John Forbes Kerry did, being rich and a prodigy of John F. Kennedy. If one received 3 Purple Hearts, he could ask to come home, even after just 3 or 4 months, and even if the wounds didn't cost him any downtime, as John Kerry did. The only ways to guarantee we would not be assigned to Vietnam would be to desert or dodge the draft, like Bill Clinton and many of the "Vietnam Veterans Against the War", or petition for status change to "Conscientious Objector" prior to receiving orders, or obtain an educational or family deferment, as millions of Americans did. During my 12 month tour (actually 366 days), more than half the pilots with whom I flew my 100+ missions in Vietnam were Reservists, like me, and Air Guardsmen. John Kerry equated Guardsmen with draft dodgers. The majority of members of the Guard and Reserves are former Active Duty military. I often wondered how many names on the Vietnam Memorial Wall are of National Guardsmen and Reservists. One hundred and forty Medal of Honor recipients were in the National Guard. Six thousand seventy-seven members of the National Guard or Reserves died in Vietnam.

I dare say you probably know a Vietnam veteran. Perhaps you are a veteran. I know a lot of them, too. I hope you know me now. I am your neighbor, your son, your brother, your cousin, your nephew, your uncle, your father, your grandfather -- your friend. I am no different from every American who ever served in Vietnam -- except one: John Forbes Kerry.

The Promise Kept
82nd_Airborne_Dad
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
I just discovered this thread tonight, so let me add a little to it.

Neither John Kerry nor GW Bush nor I, for that matter, had any say in whether we would be assigned duty in Vietnam unless we volunteered. Some of us did volunteer. Of course one could petition for 4 educational deferments and a fifth to spend a year in Paris studying French as John Forbes Kerry did, being rich and a prodigy of John F. Kennedy. If one received 3 Purple Hearts, he could ask to come home, even after just 3 or 4 months, and even if the wounds didn't cost him any downtime, as John Kerry did. The only ways to guarantee we would not be assigned to Vietnam would be to desert or dodge the draft, like Bill Clinton and many of the "Vietnam Veterans Against the War", or petition for status change to "Conscientious Objector" prior to receiving orders, or obtain an educational or family deferment, as millions of Americans did. During my 12 month tour (actually 366 days), more than half the pilots with whom I flew my 100+ missions in Vietnam were Reservists, like me, and Air Guardsmen. John Kerry equated Guardsmen with draft dodgers. The majority of members of the Guard and Reserves are former Active Duty military. I often wondered how many names on the Vietnam Memorial Wall are of National Guardsmen and Reservists. One hundred and forty Medal of Honor recipients were in the National Guard. Six thousand seventy-seven members of the National Guard or Reserves died in Vietnam.

I dare say you probably know a Vietnam veteran. Perhaps you are a veteran. I know a lot of them, too. I hope you know me now. I am your neighbor, your son, your brother, your cousin, your nephew, your uncle, your father, your grandfather -- your friend. I am no different from every American who ever served in Vietnam -- except one: John Forbes Kerry.

The Promise Kept

Bravo . . . well said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: