SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hurt Feelings . . . or Blighted Honor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Hurt Feelings . . . or Blighted Honor? Reply with quote

I was hoping to have researched this more completely but that is not going to happen before the election, so here it is. After thirty-five years, at a recent reunion of my unit, I learned of these things for the first time. The first example is fairly straight forward. The second I am still gathering details on.

I just want it known that the Kerry legacy is not just a matter of “hurt feelings” among “bitter old veterans.” It is also much more personal to untold thousands of Vietnam Veterans than the much more important geo-political fallout from the anti-war movement that overcame South East Asia, and America’s place in the world, and its military readiness in the 70’s.

There were real consequences to real individuals to the words and actions of John Kerry and those he followed, led and supported. And please stop focusing on only his testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. That was merely the low point of a two year full time career effort for Kerry, and his part in it was only one major part in a widespread effort to undermine our military and our country.

The first story. In mid-1968, my Battalion Commander was coping with one of the worst periods in my unit’s history in Vietnam. Real atrocities were committed against his men by an enemy whose officially sanctioned strategy really did involve acts of terrorism and atrocity. He had to see those results. He had to write the letters home. He had to not tell the families what really happened to theirs sons.

In the midst of this, his wife, home alone trying to raise three children, became the object of organized harassment by anti-war activists. It became so bad that the FBI had to become involved over fears for their safety. He was helpless to protect them, ten thousand miles away, and had to hear of this and try to deal with it while coping with overwhelming military responsibilities.

This is an officer who served in World War II as an enlisted man, and who later got an education on the GI Bill, and through ROTC eventually became a senior officer in the Army. This is the thanks this member of “The Greatest Generation” got for his lifetime of service to his country.

This is the vicious, anti-American, subversive mindset that was supported, advanced and championed by John Kerry.

The second story. A soldier from Detroit joined my company a month or so after I came home. He knew some of the comrades I left behind, worked with them and seemed alright, except for smoking a lot of pot and having an active imagination, of the “wannabe sort” according to his platoon sergeant - everything that happened that was in the slightest way action-related was exaggerated by him in the retelling, and his role in it became central, rather than minor. Sound familiar to anyone?

A few months after he came home, this soldier wrote a letter to the editor of a local paper, alleging war crimes committed by his comrades – my comrades. He refused to name names, at least in the beginning. Later he joined a group (I have not yet found out which one, but let me guess . . . . ) and made public statements at rallies. Then he began to name names.

The result was, ten of my comrades, apparently just named at random, were implicated in crimes – real crimes. The Army CID (Criminal Investigation Division) launched an investigation that spanned several years and went all the way back to Vietnam. Men were cornered at work and on Army bases if still on active duty, and interrogated in closed rooms and threatened with prison and sworn to silence by the investigators. No legal representation, no recourse provided. In spite of the fact that some of them were never in the place alleged, some had no duties like those required for the mission alleged, all knew nothing of the circumstances alleged, yet all suffered this fear, intimidation and suspicion.

Then the case just disappeared and none of the accused ever heard any more about it. Obviously because there was nothing to follow-up on once the facts were investigated. I am working now on obtaining that CID report. Who knows how much time and effort and taxpayers money was wasted in the effort.

How many times these kinds of outrages were perpetrated against our veterans will probably never be known.

What is known is that the fallout from this kind of thing affected all of us, to one degree or another.

It was not just “hurt feelings.” It was ruined lives, and often psychological damage that was never overcome.

Douglas Brinkley on O’Reilly tonight said it was never Kerry’s intention to hurt POWs, and any one who says so is crazy. As if his intentions mattered.

Kerry had no intention one way or another about POWs. He could have cared less. He did not care that his words and actions would hurt innocent veterans, even those he served with directly. He knew very well that he was a propaganda agent for the enemies of this country in a time of war, and that was just fine with him.

Anyone who says otherwise is not crazy. They just have no idea what they are talking about.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post.

A belated thanks from this American.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send that to Hannity, O'Neill, Boortz and Rush.

It's powerful stuff.

Let me add my belated thank you and welcome home too!

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your hard work. Thank you for your service.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
stevec
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: after Viet Nam Reply with quote

Excellent post.

John Kerry's words not only effected those that served in Viet Nam, but also those that served afterwards.
First his made-up stories about atrocites and war crimes, damaged those he left behind, and those that came back. We have all to ofter here and in other forums, heard the rage that they felt upon coming home. Their names smeared, their duty tarnished, and all for one man wanting political gain.

John Kerry also effected the military into the 1980's. It wasn't till Ronald Regan came and built up the military to combat the Cold War that it was even considered OK to join the military.

I graduated in 1978, since 1975 was involved with the US Navy, Sea Cadet Corps. I knew when I was 13, what I wanted to do. My graduating class was 481 students, ONLY one person went into the military out of high school. My year books have comments about my NAVY, in them and what I could do, and this was after Viet Nam. The wounds were still there.
Imagine how many others never served because of the attitude that John Kerry created in this country.

That's why I'm fuming mad.

In reality John Kerry not only BETRAYED those that served in Viet Nam, but also every person in this country, man, women, and child.

Just imagine what it would have been like with Ronald Regan, Cater would have continued to gut the services and we would be in a different world then what we have today.

Had Regan been there for the Iranian hostages, alot of these fanatics would not have been encouraged by Carter's lack of backbone.

Steve Christensen
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cater would have continued to gut the services and we would be in a different world then what we have today.

I served under CIC Carter USAF - Strategic Air Command 75-79. First act of CIC Carter was to grant amnesty to the draft dodgers. At that time American public opinion was so poisoned by the likes of John & Jane and the MSM media perpetuating their lies we couldn’t even walk through an airport in uniform without some long hair waiving their middle finger at us. And do not get started with me how Hollywood continued to perpetuate the war crime urban myth movie after movie after movie.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this posting, d19thdoc. I have a friend who is a liberal Democrat and who served in the Navy from 1958-63, not in harm's way. He just doesn't seem to get it no matter what I tell him about Kerry. This morning he sent me an email saying he remembers seeing the Viet Nam War protestors and at the time he hated them but he has let all that go. He asked me, Why can't the SBVT just 'let go' of this whole thing.

I have been thinking all day how to answer him.

With your permission, I am going to copy your post to him.
Kathy Kay
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurt Feelings . . . or Blighted Honor? Reply with quote

d19thdoc wrote:
Douglas Brinkley on O’Reilly tonight said it was never Kerry’s intention to hurt POWs, and any one who says so is crazy. As if his intentions mattered.

About two weeks ago in my home town a young collegiate athlete who had a little too much to drink rear-ended another vehicle that exploded. A 4th grade girl was trapped inside the vehicle and burned to death. One of her parents has since died and another is clinging to life.

Now, it was never the intention of that young athlete to hurt any of those people, much less kill them, and anyone who would say otherwise is crazy. But you know what? That family -- particularly the three other children of that couple -- could care less.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynne wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for this posting, d19thdoc. I have a friend who is a liberal Democrat and who served in the Navy from 1958-63, not in harm's way. He just doesn't seem to get it no matter what I tell him about Kerry. This morning he sent me an email saying he remembers seeing the Viet Nam War protestors and at the time he hated them but he has let all that go. He asked me, Why can't the SBVT just 'let go' of this whole thing.

I don't think you need permission. Whatever is posted here is "in the public domain." If it changes a vote, I'd be delighted.

A footnote, which I withheld. The Battalion CO I described arrived at our reunion with his wife - the victim of the anti-warriors' abuse I mentioned - in a wheel chair, along with a grown son, one of the children I mentioned, who has come back home and given himself to help take care of his mother full time. They drove over fourteen hundred miles to make the reunion. She suffered a brain injury in a fall eight years ago, and is essentially totally disabled. It happened while the Colonel himself was in the hospital, and she lay on the floor at home alone for two days. When the Colonel told me the story of her experience home alone in 1968, I asked him if he'd be willing to talk to a reporter about it. He said to me, with a look of anguish I cannot forget, that she can no longer speak to tell the story, and it is really her story, not his, since he was not there at the time.

Later, as I watched him, nearly 80, stooped and shuffling behind the wheelchair away from our meeting field, a fading shadow of the straight and tall commander, I felt the deepest sadness and outrage I've felt since April of 1975; and I determined to tell their story somehow, if only to a few people on an internet bulletin board who might understand where the anger of Vietnam Veterans towards John Kerry comes from.

That departing image from the reunion, beside the image of John Kerry "Reporting For Duty" on my TV screen, is a montage of infamy I will never forgive or forget.
army72
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are very many people (other than some in the middle east) that plan to hurt others with their actions. Some do things without thinking of the consequences. Others really don't care as long as they get what they want (sound familiar?).

Your story is a powerful one and very sad. I thank you for your service to our country. I believe there are many many more people that also appreciate your contribution. We did not forget.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for posting this.
My belief is that if John Kerry had any character he woud applogize for what he did. The fact that he has not says everything, and the American people should realize that. But I hope he doesn't. The mere act of apology for what his 'unintentional' actions caused could win him the election.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other threads on this board concerning the apology topic. This is my reaction to the whole idea of a Kerry apology.

Quote:
http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=83680&highlight=#83680

I’ve heard talk, now that large numbers of people are waking up to what John Kerry really represents, thanks to the courage of this site and other sources, that what he did in the 70’s was all long ago and we should forgive and forget, especially if he offers an apology.

What apology can fix this, more than thirty years too late?

How do you accept an “I’m sorry” for treason, sedition and the slander of his own nation and its defenders; a slander with the goal of altering the policy of this nation to the detriment of the national security interests of the American people, the interests of its allies and its military services, and to the advantage of its enemies in war time? How do you let all of that go for the price of a few hypocritical and self-serving words?

And beware . . . it is not merely ancient history. He is now leading the charge in the latest version of hate-filled, divisive, anti-American, defeatist appeasement against the present generation of valiantly struggling patriots and soldiers, who need all of the support that all of us can give them.

The only thing he should be eligible to run for is the border.

d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A letter dated October 13, 2004 arrived today from the National Archives II at College Park, Maryland. Concerning the allegations of war crimes committed by members of my unit in Vietnam, it says, in part:
Quote:
The (name of accuser) allegations were investigated by Army criminal investigators. They interviewed 26 then-current and former service personnel, and seven South Vietnamese. They concluded that there was insufficient evidence to support his allegations of murder and of wanton destruction of property.

I just spoke at length on the phone to the Archivist who researched the files.

The entire file is in the custody of the "Vietnam War Crimes Working Group" at NARA, (Record Group 319), and, under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) they will send me a complete copy, with privacy information redacted (blacked out) - such as Social Security Numbers. It should take about six weeks to turn the request around. With that in hand, I plan to contact as many of these veterans as possible, including the accuser, and set this record straight.

Unfortuantely, according to the few I have already spoken to, they were never notified by the CID of the outcome of this investigation.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d19thdoc wrote:
...I plan to contact as many of these veterans as possible, including the accuser...
Keep us posted. Tens of thousands of us will be interested long after the election.
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynne wrote:

To help you point out several things to your friend, it would help if we knew a little more about him. I served from 1954 to 75. If I recall right the enlistments contracts in 1958 were for 4 years. If you went to a long extended Navy school you were required to sign an extension of one year or more. If he did go to a school, then he would have spent a long time in studying his subject material. After school he would have been sent to a Command to finish out his contract. If he was assigned to an East coast ship, he would have spent many months in the Med. I remember reading that a sailor at that time would spend less than 90 days a year at home. When I read it, I didn't believe it. I sat down and figured out how much time I was home in the first three years of sea duty. To my suprise I had spent less than 90 days a year at home. The point I am trying to make here is that if he was on a ship, most of his time would have been at sea or in a foreign port. We didn't have TV on ships during those days. First termers normally would spend their time playing card games at sea and going on liberty when the ship tied up. You say he wasn't in harm's way. which means that he was either on a shore station or a ship on the East coast. The East coast ports ( Norfolk , New Port, Charlestown, May Port) did not see the same problems that the West coast ports saw ( San Deigo, Long Beach, etc) ( I served on East coast ships). Now if you had to serve over on the left coast where all the fruits & nuts were located, it was an entirely different story. Most first termers stationed on the East coast knew about Vietnam and were glad to do their time and get out. Until the start of Vietnam there was a great pride in the Uniform that you wore. It didn't matter what branch of service you were in. When the hippies and anti-war protester started, the average service person started to figuer out how to go on liberty in civilian clothes. There was still pride but we didn't want to be seen in uniform for fear of having problems with anti-war people. First termers on the east coast would have had it easier than the west coast personnel. Real pride did not start coming back into the branches of the services until about 1971. It was decided to go to an all volunteer service. Pay was increased, duty section were increased, food was improved, living conditions were improved, anything to improve morale was fair game.
The sad part was that there were many career people that cut their careers short because of Vietnam. Many E6, E7, and E8s left when their 20 years were up. Not because they were afraid to be assigned to Vietnam, but because there wasn't the pride in the services that was there when they signed up. It was a lot easier to just get out and forget about Vietnam. Now Kerry comes along and he doesn't understand that he and his VVAW took away the pride of some of the most outstanding young men and women the United States had to offer. Now many people are saying, lets give thoes Men and Women back the pride they rightly deserve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: