SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SwiftVets & Us - Their reunion, Our tribute
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: SwiftVets & Us - Their reunion, Our tribute Reply with quote

I'd like to make a proposal.

I understand that the Swift Vets have a reunion every so often.
If they would honor us with an afternoon at their next reunion, I would very much like to express my admiration to these men personally. I suspect that many others in these forums would like to do the same.

Hollywood superstars and Rock legends for all their entertainment value, do not interest me as individuals.
The men that are the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth are my hero's.

They remind me of my uncle Eldred Hayton. 30 years in the Marine Corps. POW in Korea. He carried 2 men so they wouldn't be shot on the forced march. He never talked about it. Our family only new of his heroism when the mother of one of the men he carried contacted my grandparents to thank them for raising a son who would someday save their own. After being rescued my uncle stayed in the Marine Corps and served during Viet Nam.

When I think of my uncle I think of the Swift Vets. True hero's. Selfless and humble. Exactly the opposite of Kerry.

At the next Swift Vet reunion perhaps the rest of us could join them for an afternoon and thank them personally for their heroism and courage.

Just a thought.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
Capt. Lloyd Williams, USMC

Last edited by BenDeR on Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must offer my greatest apologies to the 'POWs For Truth' that I did not mention in my original post. I humble myself before you for your sacrifice and suffering that allows me to speak freely today.
God bless our POW's.

Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger your last BenDeR. In any event, come what may on Nov. 2, the contribution that SBVT/POWs have made as our Spartans in this fight, is just amazing. Will surely go down in history, and that is some real justice (at last). It would be great if a group could get together to work on a fitting tribute to them. I would be privileged to volunteer. Semper Fi.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SwiftVets & Us - Reunion Tribute Reply with quote

BenDeR wrote:
I understand that the Swift Vets have a reunion every so often.

.......... Upcoming Swift Boat Reunions - Mini, Mega, and Regular ..........

November 5-6: .... Mini-reunion at McKinney Falls State Park Austin TX

May 21: ............... Dedication of the Vietnam Unit Memorial San Diego CA

May 26-29: .......... Bi-annual Swift Boat Reunion Marriott Pavilion, St. Louis

............ ............
.............. Vietnam Unit Memorial, Amphib Base Coronado CA ...............

one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: carefull, Reply with quote

"The Austin "bats" will show at your "pick-nick" and eat your stuff

and they will carry "thier liberal Austin "KERRY FLAGS AND SIGNS "

with them, hey, call on the Marines on this site for "assistance"

with that problem.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be a stadium event perhaps Soldier Field in the heart of the country I will talk to the Johnsonville people about supplying bratwurst and Miller about the beer. We will bring in the roaming Vietnam War Memorial wall. We will all stand and pay respect to our fallen and salute the swift vets and all the other veterans who were never welcomed back to America.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we could even coordinate something with Great Lakes Naval Station and one of their graduating ceremonies during the event.

dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this gets set up I will take my kid out of school and we'll drive across the country to be there for it.

(Or it could be in Florida - Hint Hint Razz )

The SVPT are going to be exhausted after this election. They will need time to relax in a tropical paradise!

I seriously was thinking of organizing a post-election fund raiser to give them a barefoot cruise or some other soul mending vacation.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:
If this gets set up I will take my kid out of school and we'll drive across the country to be there for it.

(Or it could be in Florida - Hint Hint Razz )

The SVPT are going to be exhausted after this election. They will need time to relax in a tropical paradise!

I seriously was thinking of organizing a post-election fund raiser to give them a barefoot cruise or some other soul mending vacation.
I think it would be great for all of us to give a great big send off to a group of graduating Navy recruits. The Navy recruiters would be all over supporting this type of event. And how can any other place compete with a name like Soldier Field.

BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
May 26-29: .......... Bi-annual Swift Boat Reunion Marriott Pavilion, St. Louis

Thanks Robert.

Since the above date is already scheduled it might be the best opportunity to get the most peaple together.
I would prefer to hold an event sooner than the end of May, but I also want the greatest number of Swift Vets and POWs attending.

That also happens to be Memorial Day weekend. What a truly appropriate time.

mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope all of you realize one point. Not all Swifties feel the same about Kerry as we do. One of my own crew is for Kerry up in Wisconsin and several on our Chat room have quit because of our stand against jfk. If any do show up at any of the reunions you might want to be careful what is said. I am sure jfk or his band of brothers won't be in attendance like last time.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Terry, and thanks for noting it. It is important to keep a distinction between SVPT and swift boat veterans in general.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
I hope all of you realize one point. Not all Swifties feel the same about Kerry as we do. One of my own crew is for Kerry up in Wisconsin and several on our Chat room have quit because of our stand against jfk. If any do show up at any of the reunions you might want to be careful what is said. I am sure jfk or his band of brothers won't be in attendance like last time.

The man has a point people. The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are a large group of the Swift Boat Veterans, but they are not the Spokesman for all of them. There are many people out there who are voting for kerry (why, I don't know) and showing up at their Re-Union to applaude the Swift Boat veterans for Truth, may not be appreciated by all.
I would venture a guess and say as was the case with a resent Re-Union I went to, that it was for the guys to get together, remember the past and talk about their lives. It wasn't about who was better liked, did more, or what they do now.
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th wrote:
mtboone wrote:

The man has a point people. The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are a large group of the Swift Boat Veterans, but they are not the Spokesman for all of them. There are many people out there who are voting for kerry (why, I don't know) and showing up at their Re-Union to applaude the Swift Boat veterans for Truth, may not be appreciated by all.
I would venture a guess and say as was the case with a resent Re-Union I went to, that it was for the guys to get together, remember the past and talk about their lives. It wasn't about who was better liked, did more, or what they do now.

Very valid points and well taken.

I don't know if SVPT members would even want to be involved in such an event. Then again maybe they would.

If there is sufficient interest I am certain there is enough collective brain power on this board to make something happen.

CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shared feelings here are we, who are not swift vets but have come to admire them and want to help their truth be told, want to plan an appropriate event to meet them and say Thank you for your service then and now. I want to meet the POWs and the swift vets and everybody else on this site. So perhaps we can plan a way to meet that does not interrupt their annual event. Perhaps the site members could host a cocktail party in honor of those here either the evening before the annual event or just at a different date. But I would want to meet as many of you posters as I could. We will travel from Florida where ever it is planned. I will be more than happen to help out with planning. God Bless. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: