SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robertson comment troubles some voters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Robertson comment troubles some voters Reply with quote

Quote:
Robertson comment troubles some voters

Did religious broadcaster Pat Robertson really hear President Bush say there would be no casualties in a war with Iraq, or did he misunderstand the commander-in-chief?

The John Kerry camp wants President Bush to acknowledge or deny his comment to the founder of the Christian Coalition.

He's not likely to do either.

The best strategy is to say Mr. Robertson simply misunderstood the president. You don't call a fellow Republican with political clout a bald-faced liar.

The comment supposedly came in Nashville before the war when the obviously troubled minister expressed to the president that God told him the war would be messy and a disaster.

" 'Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties,' " he quoted the president as replying.

"He was just sitting there, like, 'I'm on top of the world' and I warned him about his war," Robertson said on CNN.

By late Wednesday, Mr. Robertson was reeling from his comment and issued a statement in which he said, "I believe the blessing of heaven is upon him." He also said he thinks President Bush will win the war and the war against terrorism.

We, of course, don't know what Mr. Robertson heard during that conversation, but it was enough to stick in his mind as the war claims more American soldiers.

And, like Mr. Robertson, many American voters are troubled by that war. Some of them, like Mr. Robertson, are willing to forgive the president for "his share of goofs and gaffes" and, like Mr. Robertson, they think the president is God's choice to continue as president.

Others think Mr. Robertson's portrayal of the president is part of a pattern in which Mr. Bush didn't fully understand the ramifications of invading Iraq and did so without justification.

The president is probably more believable in this controversy, however, because Mr. Robertson sometimes changes his mind about his conversations with God.

He told his "700 Club" television audience in January that God told him President Bush would win in a blowout. But he told CNN this week that he believes Mr. Bush will win by a "razor-thin" margin but a substantial Electoral College victory.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/opinion/editorials/041022a.shtml

What's Robertson's problem? Is he just stupid? He claims to be for the President but crap like this does not help!! I don't trust him. Evil or Very Mad

Stolen Honor
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the president made any such claims about there being no casualties.

Remember how all the soldiers had to wear the protective suits for the first few days of the war? We believed Saddam had chemical and biological weapons and that he would use them. There seemed to be the potential for significant casualties.

I don't have a link for it, but I remember reading that 4000 casualties were expected (actually, I think it was 4000 deaths).

There's no way anyone would say "no casualties".
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"" 'Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties,' " he quoted the president as replying.

"He was just sitting there, like, 'I'm on top of the world' and I warned him about his war," Robertson said on CNN.

I cannot imagine why Robertson would say anything like this, especially to CNN, even if he did hear it, which I seriously doubt
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust Robertson just a little more than I trust CNN....NOT
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should email him - anyone have an email address to mr. robertson?
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
Son of a VET

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because he calls himself a Christian, does not make it so. The man preached against gambling (which is correct) while at the same time owned Race Horse(s)!! That being said, I think he is not telling the truth.

Stolen Honor
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is total BS......The President and his Military Commanders know what the risk of using military force.

I don't believe this for a minute.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw footage of Robertson saying this, saying he told the President that. I bet Bush is fuming about it. I don't know why he'd open his trap right now.
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat is trying to get his face in the news, what a stupid statement. Of course Bush knew we would have casualties, every general told him that, you can't invade a country with ground forces spread out against a regime like saddam's and not expect casualties. I know he didn't think we would have this many though, I think nobody knew the fundamentalists would come pouring in to kill our troops.
Kimmymac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot even begin to understand what prompted Robertson to say this. I am not even going to speculate. How many times have we heard Bush talk about the war, and about how the weight of the decision weighed upon him, because he knew he was asking our servicemen and women to risk their lives?

What is Robertson's problem? Is he anti-freedom? Does he not want the Middle East opened up to the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Does he think there is any hope of that under Saddam's rule? I don't know, and I am not going to pretend to, but Mr. Robertson deeply disappoints me.

Notice: I am disappointed in Robertson, not Bush. I reject Robertson's characterization of the President and his demeanor. It does not pass the truth test. Shame, shame, Mr. Robertson.
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, this is something that CNN probably elicited from Robertson. He has a history of saying flaky things so it would stand to reason that CNN would seek him out to trick him into saying something they could use against the President. They don't call it the Clinton News Network for nothing !

VS
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Robertson apologist either. But there's something really smelly about this to me. Robertson probably did pop off his mouth when he shouldn't. But I also would not be surprised if this was not a set-up, with trick question, and carefully edited video to get the desired effect.
rparrott21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a correction..he now says he told Bush to expect more deads that he thinks there will be...
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNN made deals for ten years in order to stay in Baghdad. They cannot be trusted. They are trying to drive a wedge between the President and the religious right which makes up 1/5 of the republican party. Just more last minute dirty politics.
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust that Howdy Doody looking Robertson for a minute. What a flake. Over the years he's said some of the most Magoo stuff you could imagine. Bush probably said something like "I don't think we'll have any casualties until we start the ground war" or something like that and Mr. Magoo was only listening with half his brain. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: