SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter to soldiers - Opinions needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Letter to soldiers - Opinions needed. Reply with quote

While I have sent a couple care packages out before, I never included a lengthy letter. Much less contacted troops before who are in harms way. I'm about to send a couple more packages and have written the letter posted below.

My question is... Overall, what do you think of it? Is it good or bad to mention political events taking place stateside?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Soldier,

I hear the men and woman like to read letters from those stateside. So a little about myself. My name is ******. I live in Upstate New York. I never personally served though I did attempt to enlist in the Army back in 1976 but failed the physical. My father and several family members have served though none in my immediate family do at this time. I am a union machinist and work for a local company. Have been there for 18 years.

Winter here in New York is coming fast with tempts currently in the 50's or low 60's on most days and in the 30's and 40's at night. The leaves look really nice right now but I think the fall foliage has peaked. The baseball world series is in play. The race for the NASCAR championship has 4 races left. Go Tony Stewart!

Not a day goes by when I don't think about the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan. The sacrifices those such as yourself and fellow troops are making boggles the mind. While I know things aren't as good as one would like, it bothers me when much of the media concentrates only on the negative news. It bothers me to see our country divided in half. It bothers me to hear Senator Kerry and fellow politicians attack our President. It bothers me to hear Michael Moore spew his garbage to our young folks. (Which many believe is gospel.)

Fortunately, there are two documentary's that target this man and the claims made though do not get the attention they so deserve. One DVD which I just watched last night is called FahrenHYPE 9/11. I found it quite interesting. There is also another documentary available on DVD and showing in a few select movie theaters called Celcius 41.11 - The Temperature At Which The Brain Begins To Die. I have not seen this yet. Another interesting film for many is "Stolen Honor, Wounds that Never Heal" which is a documentary exposing John Kerry's record of betrayal. (stolenhonor.com) It can be found and viewed online now for free if anyone has access to the net. One link that currently works well is http://www.annointed.net/video/stolen_honor_final1.wmv

I go online daily and look at the letters from our troops on Anysoldier.us which is responsible for helping me help others such as yourself. The hardest part is deciding who to help. I would love to show support for all our troops but that is not possible. But, I do my best and send a few packages out when I can afford to do so.

With that being said, I hope you find the care package to be of some use. I also hope this letter has brightened your day. Please stay safe and know that many here in the U.S. care very much about all the men and woman who are serving around the world. Particulary those troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. God Bless you all.

Sincerely,
[name and address]
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a great letter. I've debated over if I should mention anything political when I write too. I find that I am so totally consumed with defeating Kerry that I can talk about little else so thats how I made my decission. If the soldiers I am in contact with are offened they haven't said so. And really.. if they were Kerry supporters so much the better, those are the guys that need to know whats up.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mentioned political things, but not in too much detail. They know who I am voting for and one of the reasons is I think that Bush is better for the military among other things. I have not mentioned Iraq very much at all. Just basically thanking them for their sacrifices and being there. I just don't want anyone reading about how divided it is, even though a majority back the war, and get depressed. I feel that they have enough to worry about over there, not our fighting over here. I think a Veteran would be better at answering that questions because I have thought about it myself.

I had my son write them letters and he just talks about all the silly stuff that happened to him. I tell them a little bit about who I am and the names of my pets. I ask questions, not too many.

And I let them know in my letter how I am honored to be serving them and appreciate everything that they are doing for our country.

I ask them if there is anything special that they would like or need too.
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responces. Very Happy I'm not much of a letter writer and don't know anyone else who sends packages or letters to our troops. Hence why I asked for some input here.

Perhaps I need to "tame" down the following paragraphs?

Quote:
Not a day goes by when I don't think about the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan. The sacrifices those such as yourself and fellow troops are making boggles the mind. While I know things aren't as good as one would like, it bothers me when much of the media concentrates only on the negative news. It bothers me to see our country divided in half. It bothers me to hear Senator Kerry and fellow politicians attack our President. It bothers me to hear Michael Moore spew his garbage to our young folks. (Which many believe is gospel.)

Fortunately, there are two documentary's that target this man and the claims made though do not get the attention they so deserve. One DVD which I just watched last night is called FahrenHYPE 9/11. I found it quite interesting. There is also another documentary available on DVD and showing in a few select movie theaters called Celcius 41.11 - The Temperature At Which The Brain Begins To Die. I have not seen this yet. Another interesting film for many is "Stolen Honor, Wounds that Never Heal" which is a documentary exposing John Kerry's record of betrayal. (stolenhonor.com) It can be found and viewed online now for free if anyone has access to the net. One link that currently works well is http://www.annointed.net/video/stolen_honor_final1.wmv

I really don't care to talk about myself and have no children and such so it would be boring compared to others. Just want to show my support.

Any further comments would be greatly appreciated as I want to send these packages out this week. Thank you!
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:
I think its a great letter. I've debated over if I should mention anything political when I write too. I find that I am so totally consumed with defeating Kerry that I can talk about little else so thats how I made my decission. If the soldiers I am in contact with are offened they haven't said so. And really.. if they were Kerry supporters so much the better, those are the guys that need to know whats up.

thats the same here, I was really torn for awhile about mentioning anything political in my letters but then I thought about how it would seem strainge to the soldiers on the other end if I didn't mention anything about it. So I just started including it in my normal activities. And like Deb if anyone has been ffended I have not heard that from them.

I feel it's always best to not only be honust but to be open also. I simply state that I'm fighting for Bush because I care so much for my country and the men and women in our nations armed forces.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are some really great stories told on this board, that are both insightful and some are really funny. The person who I talked to at the www.soldiersangels.com site, said just tell them about going fishing or you know Kerry's hunting story might be fun, just normal everyday things. So even though you don't think you have much to say about yourself because you don't have children, etc...., there are some probably pretty good stories out there that you experience everyday without even thinking about it.

They know I actively do stuff for Bush as I talk about the yard sign stuff and how it is my job to replenish the missing ones from the polling place. I mean the orange pictures of Kerry would be great to send, lol.

Any advice from Veterans on what is best?
bk_mo
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: troops Reply with quote

I'm sure they would love to hear about the world series. Just send them love and support. Tell them about football, send them some sports pages. Magazines of Nascar and such. They hear all the crap from the elections. Just like us , their sick and tired for it. Let them know that you pray for them, you believe in them and thank them for protecting us.
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: It Lifts My Spirit Just To Read About The Love & Concern Reply with quote

How thoughtful all of you are. I love the dialogue of what to
say and how to say it.
The love shines through all that you all have said.
A few of my thoughts are;
Questions about them will give them an opportunity to connect.
What are their favorite things?
What is the most interesting thing they have found there?
The funniest etc.
(When does humor not feel good??) Cartoons etc.
Or inspiring things for that matter.
I love something I heard in Church today;
If God has a refrigerator YOUR picture is on the door.
What is their favorite music.
I saw where one guy wrote home for some dirt and seed;
he planted some grass (a little square in front of his tent) and
clipped it with scissors.

Positive, truthful, supportive, caring is always proper.
I am curious to know what, if anything, they would like us to
do for them. Even stateside. Pictures, blank cards, stamps, etc.

Once you get going the natural evolution takes over.

What a classy group of people live here.
Thanks for brightening my day just reading these posts.
Make it a wonderful day.
Mary Ann Parker
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the comments people. Very Happy
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nephew was in Qatar for 6 months. He said what they missed most was regular stuff like talking about what their teams were doing (or not) and what is going on in the states. He played games on his PS2 and Xbox and they had portables for "dorms" like the ones they use at schools. They had lots of movies to watch, and the food was plentiful. They did have limits on their alchol (?) because it was an islamic country. They do talk politics with their family so they don't need that from us.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to post pictures I have recieved. Is there anyone I can e-mail the pics to and they can post them here? One is a soldier receiving the purple heart and another is growing his own patch of grass. Don't know if you guys would like to see these or not.
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: see JannDallas got the pictures posted already. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: