SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ohio provisional voting- Defeat for Dems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Ohio provisional voting- Defeat for Dems Reply with quote

Just heard on Fox that the appellate court (6th Circuit) over-ruled the U.S. District Court and you will have to cast the provisional ballot in your precinct. Probably will not be counted otherwise. Trying to get a copy of the opinion to see exactly what the ruling was.
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, it is going back to how it has always been here in Ohio. Vote in your precinct, show identification, the usual fair stuff. Geez, you would think these people could learn our laws. It's been this way for at least the last two decades. It keeps down on voter fraud as the Dems have been canvasing our colleges pretty good.
sround
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard on FOX the Dems have filed 35 law suits and out of
that, 23 have have been decided, and out of the 23,
only one was in favor of the Dems (in PA)! Wink

Mission Accomplished!!
MTS17446
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sround wrote:
Just heard on FOX the Dems have filed 35 law suits and out of
that, 23 have have been decided, and out of the 23,
only one was in favor of the Dems (in PA)! Wink

Ouch....1 for 23, that makes them look real bright. Laughing
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually pretty good news in several ways.

1. It likely helps Bush. Been my experience that most conservative types take voting seriously and are even fairly anal at times about makins sure they know the mechanics. Liberals tend to treat voting more cavalierly.

2. This will almost certainly prevent some of those recently registered in voter registration drives of questionable legitimacy from voting (IMO a non-resident transient or felon on a street corner likely won't know which precinct is correct and is far more likely to go to the wrong one than a legitimate voter). From what I can gather, such registration drives in Ohio were largely backed by Democratic supporters and were mostly in urban districts, which tend Democratic.

3. ANYTHING that safeguards the legitimacy of voting is a good thing. IMO, voting should NOT be as easy as buying a newspaper; there should be substantial procedural safeguards to ensure that a vote is legitimate. Legitimate means the voter is entitled to vote in the first place; is properly registered; the ballot itself is proper and is properly cast; and the vote is in in fact cast by voter in question; and that each person votes ONLY ONCE. Our right to vote was purchased and protected with blood - a lot of blood. It's simply not too much to ask for someone to find out where and how to register and vote, or to do so correctly. If they don't care enough about voting to do that - sin loi, brother.

4. Finally, if a person is literally too dumb to figure out how to properly vote - or is otherwise mentally incapable of doing so - well, I'm not exactly certain I want them voting. Legally, they're entitled to do so. However, I shed no tears over a fool not being allowed to vote because they couldn't figure out how, or waited too late to register.
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo, oooh, how I agree with all your points, especially #3 and #4. I've served as a Precinct Chairman the past 10 years on election days. The voting process is so easy, simple, quick, etc. All it takes is the ability to follow instructions! In the case of someone's usual language being other than English, they are free to bring in an interpreter with them. The tranlator simply fills out an affidavit stating assistance is being given and that vote counts. To this day, I fail to understand that Florida fiasco in 2000 and the dems' claim that the election was stolen! Stolen? Baloney! Those people just didn't follow instructions.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'S funny that I see nobody has mentioned the most obvious reason the Democrats wanted to fight this issue. If there were no restrictions on where one could cast a provisional vote, then they could bus their voters from precinct to precinct and vote, and vote, and vote again. It would all happen so fast - so their theory went - that the election workers would be unable to catch up, and they were counting on enough confusion after the election for effective cross-checking to be negligent. Smoke screen, and confusion-injection among the enemy, are very old military tactics, and were being attempted to be applied here. In other words, the courts stopped an attempt at a deliberate fraud scheme.
sround
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dems just lost another case in MICH! Laughing

Mission Accomplished!!
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Dems just lost another case in MICH!'

Great news! Will make my job a little easier Tuesday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: