SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laurence O'Donnels HORRID behavior towards John O'Neil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VETSROCK
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Laurence O'Donnels HORRID behavior towards John O'Neil Reply with quote

Hi all,

I wrote the following letter to the producer of SCARBOROUGH COUNTRY last Friday with a heated but polite complaint. The complaint below will fill you in as to the need. Well, today Pat Buchannan apologized at the end of the show....a company apology it seemed as to how shabbily Mr. John O'Neil was treated by Lawernce O'Donnel during that show last week. Guess the producer got my letter. Let's hope it made some difference for the future treatment of both Viet Nam Vets and POW's in the media.

BELOW WAS MY LETTER TO THE PRODUCER:

Dear Sir/Madame,
I strongly request this letter be given to the PRODUCER of Scarborough Country along with Pat Buchannan and Joe Scarborough to read....this is a strong complaint regarding your evening show this day Friday Oct. 22nd.....thank you.

I was absolutely horrified tonight at the conduct of your employee Laurence O'Donnel towards Mr. O'Neil. O'Donnel was rude, arrogant, unrelenting and frankly completely disgusting in his conduct, totally unbefitting of ANY television co-host or whatever you call him. Is this now acceptable journalism for MSNBC?

I just cannot impart to you how furious I am at how that show was handled. Just awful, frankly!
How can you invite a guest on then have your co-host scream obsenities over & over & over again to the guest. This guest was respectful in his conduct. Let me tell you if it had been me there I would have got up myself and screamed right into O'Donnel's face to SHUT-UP!

As a viewer I am really angry at this mans behavior which frankly has become more and more unacceptable to such a forum of interviewing guests. Laurence O'Donnel did not want O'Neil to be able to speak; he didn't want us to be able to hear the mans words; and Pat Buchannan simply did not act appropriately in controlling the child O'Donnel exemplifies. This man should be controlled at some kind of common decency/behavior school or the like before being able to appear on any show. Can't you do better than this over there at MSNBC? Chris Mathews can be rude, but I mean this was unconsciable from O'Donnel. And Pat's lack of ability to control the man was to me a show of weakness considering Pat was hosting the show & supposed to be in control.
Look, you guys may think we out here are stupid....we are NOT! The more you try to stifle these peoples voices ( your guests)
the more apparent that you do not want the message to get out.
Please go back and look at that tape......how many times did O'Donnel scream "LIAR" "SCUM" and other nasty names at Mr. O'Neil? Unexcusable television network behavior pure and simple, period!

At least O'Neil was as gentlemanly as possible and held his cool. But Mr. Producer I ask you: why do you invite guests on when all they get is abuse and they never really get to speak their mind or express their side of the issue? Why is screaming your guests down become common place on MSNBC this year? Is it because you don't want us to hear, but you want us to think you are allowing airtime to another view? Because if this is your tactic it stinks badly.....very very badly.

If O'Donnel worked for me I would suspend him temporarilly and send him to a spa to chill out before being sent to decency classes.
If Pat worked for me I'd send him to get some more skills in controling his set. At least the control room could have muted O'Donnel's mike so O'Neil could be heard and respond. This was totally out of control behavior and out of hand befitting an animalistic mentality. That's how it appeared to the viewer.

I'm really angry, and hope that me hoping you care is not hopeless, though I am skeptical.

P.S. My father and I watched this together & he started to cry just a bit. He was incredulized. Why? Because he was there in Viet Nam and he knows what was what.....he remembers the emotional pain inflicted on him by the people of this country and the media then ( including John Kerry's part). He said to me " nothing's changed Cheri, they didn't want to listen then, and they don't want to listen now just to achieve their selfish goals. I then started to tear up also and turned on my computer to write this letter to a producer at MSNBC hoping one who gives a damn receives it.

With the utmost of sincerity,
Cheri S.
Bay Area California
-----------------------------------------------------

I say VETS-ROCK...ALWAYS!!!!!!!!
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very touching letter. I am proud of you. Thank you.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Cheri.

You stood up for what was right. And, we are all learning how to fight back. When something like that happens be assured that many other viewers feel exactly as you and the blogosphere allows you the opportunity to test your response and compare it to how others feel. And, most importantly, I find that when I read how others react to such a situation is is most helpful for me to learn more about expressing my feelings. It also gives me confidence knowing I am not alone. And, I write letters too.

Letter writing is good for us.
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad Zell Miller wasn't hosting the show...O'Donnell would have been skewered on a sword in short order.
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Savage played excepts from this interview on his radio show today. That guy was way out of line talking to a vet (John O'Neill) like that. It was absolutely disgusting. I think if any undecideds saw that show, that probably put them into Bush's camp, it was so outrageous!
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Laurence O'Donnels HORRID behavior towards John O'Neil Reply with quote

Last night Pat Buchannan read an NBC apology for the inappropriate behavior of O'Donnel. He further said that O'Donnel agree with the statement. Although the apology should have been read by O'Donnel one can see that the pressure on NBC resulted in this action. I can only assume that many SBVT supporters shared their disdain with the network.

Still I question why O'Doinnel is even on this station he is 100% biased against the President and he should be working for the DNC. At least his fellow broadcaster Chris Matthews attempts to show some balance.

JK
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great letter Cheri.

Except for the fact that O'Neill has earned reverence for his service, this episode is not much different from Chris Matthews' treatment of Michele Malkin. Never apologized for that one. I refuse to watch that channel.

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
VETSROCK
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: O'Donnel punished into submission by the 160th SOAR--maybe? Reply with quote

Ooooooohhh yeah, I remember that disgusting episode from Mathews towards Ms. Malkin. I wrote a letter to the producer then also but received no reply nor was an apology aired towards her afterwords. I strongly suspect that Pat Buchannan and Scarborough look at things a bit differently when criticism is sent the way of their show. In otherwords they take it more seriously. Mathews is a loser as a person...no inner soul--core seems to me....kind of like Kerry! He is all about *ME-ME-ME-ME*, period.
Anyway, looks to me like O'Donnel has been on some sort of relaxing "leave" last few days. Haven't seen him on since that despicible escapade he spat at John O'Neil. Maybe he's off on that get-away trip I suggested to the producer....O'Donnel just might be getting spanked ferrociously in a behavior training school.
Hell, they should send him to 160th SOAR training, maybe he'd be a changed man...oooops, I forgot, he's NOT of the FIGHTER BLOOD TYPE. In otherwords unqualified for any statis of military potential....LOL:)

Cheri

I say VETS-ROCK ALWAYS!
VETSROCK
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: O'Donnel punished into submission by the 160th SOAR--maybe? Reply with quote

Ooooooohhh yeah, I remember that disgusting episode from Mathews towards Ms. Malkin. I wrote a letter to the producer then also but received no reply nor was an apology aired towards her afterwords. I strongly suspect that Pat Buchannan and Scarborough look at things a bit differently when criticism is sent the way of their show. In otherwords they take it more seriously. Mathews is a loser as a person...no inner soul--core seems to me....kind of like Kerry! He is all about *ME-ME-ME-ME*, period.
Anyway, looks to me like O'Donnel has been on some sort of relaxing "leave" last few days. Haven't seen him on since that despicible escapade he spat at John O'Neil. Maybe he's off on that get-away trip I suggested to the producer....O'Donnel just might be getting spanked ferrociously in a behavior training school.
Hell, they should send him to 160th SOAR training, maybe he'd be a changed man...oooops, I forgot, he's NOT of the FIGHTER BLOOD TYPE. In otherwords unqualified for any statis of military potential....LOL:)

Cheri

I say VETS-ROCK ALWAYS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: