SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiftees - power-lifters needed - Fred Short comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Swiftees - power-lifters needed - Fred Short comments Reply with quote

I've been holding off on posting this as a new topic, but I haven't received any replies to a question I've had for a few days. So, I know there is a lot going on, now, but maybe someone can help me out, here. I originally asked this in the Stolen Honor & Sinclair threads:

I'd like a specific piece of info. to put in some e-mails. (I find unrefutable specifics to be effective with undecideds and maddening to Kerry supporters.)

While watching the Sinclair piece, there was a comment by a guy named Fred Short -- seemed to be a part of "Going Upriver"? Anyway, he was talking about the "brass" saying casualties were 75%, "but as the guys were talking about things, they realized it was more like 90%." (Paraphrasal)

90 %??? How can that be possible? What is defined as a "casualty"? Can anyone disprove the 90% with specific documentation? (I'll take verbal testimony from someone who was there, too.)

THANKS!
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul: I think John ONeill made a passing reference to the number of men in his "group" (sorry, not military) and also how many were lost. This was on the CSPAN coverage of him and guy from Texans for Truth last Monday from a bar. You may find some info there. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly you can have casulties over 100% but it must be in reference to a specific segment of time.

We lost 90% of our men in 15 minutes is very diferent from loosing 120% over five years.

There are lies,
there are damn lies
and then

there are statistics.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A casualty is a wound. Anything from a scratch from flying glass to a fatal wound.

If your unit goes out with 50 guys and forty five of them come back wounded, that's 90% casualties.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

? Jack makes sense percentage wise....

we have what ? 260 swiftboat vets? and kerry has 9? with him=10

a few remain neuteral .... and John said something like 50 or 58 died. Crying or Very sad

there are probably more sbt vets out there that aren't in the count here but even with these numbers, we're only talking about 20% or less.

I'm sure one who knows will show up here soon and give more exact figures on it. Smile
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
A casualty is a wound. Anything from a scratch from flying glass to a fatal wound.

If your unit goes out with 50 guys and forty five of them come back wounded, that's 90% casualties.

Yeah, especially when a lot of rice if flying around...that can really drive up the casualties of war... Shocked
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, N3 & everybody.

Do I also detect that a "casualty" is not necessarily due to enemy action?
Ie., if a squad goes out on patrol in a quiet area and a soldier sprains an ankle, is that a casualty?

Being non-military, I think I and most people like me would assume that someone speaking of casualties was talking about serious injuries resulting from enemy action. Or, at least something significant enough to put military personnel out of action for a few hours.

Swift Boat duty was obviously very dangerous, but it appears to me from the tone of the statement, that when Fred Short talked about "90% casualties", he was trying to use the public's ignorance of the meaning of "casualties" to make it sound like the Swift Boats' mission was futile and practically suicidal. (By this standard, I suppose the space program is futile and suicidal, too!)
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Kerry by himself probably was 40% of the casualties. Laughing Laughing

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I believe that a sprained ankle would be included in a casualty summary for the day, but that's little more than a wild-azzed guess, so maybe someone else who knows for sure will answer on this point.

As to your comments about Short's statement, I believe you're right on the money - he intended to convey that these were akin to suicide missions and that Kerry was very brave to even be engaged in them.
Islander
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1971, we were lossing about 45 guys a month. I'm sure the proof is out there. It is documented, If you are interested in 1971, then I'll get the references for you. I know we were losing a whole lot more guys in the earlier years as "attrition" was the driving force back then.
If you watched Mel Gibson' "We Were Soldiers," the story ends before the 1st Cavalry went back and lost an entire battalion. You have to consider, also, what branch of the military, as well. For the entire campaign, 90% is way too high. I think the 90% may apply to the Swift Boat Vets only?
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooncusser wrote:
John Kerry by himself probably was 40% of the casualties. Laughing Laughing

Bwaaaaa.... Laughing
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks N3 & everybody.

And thanks to the Swifties for serving bravely and effectively, then and now!

I'll check back a few more times to see if more info. turns up. (I still like those specifics in my arguments!)
F. Rottles
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Some sources on SEALORDS casualties Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe you're right on the money - he intended to convey that these were akin to suicide missions and that Kerry was very brave to even be engaged in them.

I agree with Navy_Navy_Navy and I'd add that while each man who experienced riverine warfare will have come away with his own personal impressions and memories, the mission and the accomplishments of the Navy as a whole in the Mekong Delta constituted a successful strategy successfully executed.

Also, as dangerous as river patrols were, the risk of being killed, or wounded, in combat should be distinguished from the actual casualty rate per mission, per month, or per year of in-country service. Men and women who did not go into combat also risked their lives and sacrificed in Vietnam to some extent, right? Still, what the Swiftees did was very hazardous and highly honorable.

Admiral Elmo Zumwalt described the casualty rate during the first few months of Operation Sealords (November-February 1969):

Quote:
[M]y sailors were taking casualties [Killed in Action and Wounded in Action] at the rate of 6% per month. So that on the average, my sailors and officers had about three-quarters of a... about a 75% probability of being a casualty during their year there.

Source: PBS Interview of Admiral Zumwalt.

At peak -- in October 1968 -- US Navy in Vietnam included the crews of about 80 Swift boats -- and 260 PBRs and minesweepers, 24 Coast Guard WPBs, 185 armored riverine craft, 25 armed helicopters, and a dozen Bronco aircraft. Also, Vietnamese Navy deployed 655 ships, assault craft, patrol boats, and other vessels.

Source: "Nationmaster".

According to the Monthly Historical Summary, from November 1969 to April 1970, there were 104 KIAs accumulated by allied forces in the various areas of Operation Sealords. [Note: Of these about 30 had been killed in combat in patrol areas where Kerry had served from December 1968 to March 1969. The greatest volume of KIAs (about 55) happened in Operation Giant Slingshot north of Saigon where Kerry did not serve.]

Source: Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Vietnam, Monthly Historical Summary April 1970 (Washington, DC: Naval Historical Center, 1969), page 27.

Quote:
Swift-boat crews had an 82 percent casualty rate - killed or wounded - in An Thoi in 1969. Once the decision was made to send the unarmored boats on river and canal missions, commanders sought out volunteers to fill the boats. Soon, there weren't enough volunteers - crews were simply assigned to the Mekong Delta.

Source: Mark Owens, Ohio News-Herald, 13 February 2004.

In an interview with Investor's Business Daily, John O'Neill said:

Quote:
I probably knew 15 to 20 people who were killed in Vietnam. [That number would not necessarily exclude non-Swiftees.] When Kerry came forward with the war crimes charges in 1971, it just tore at the soul of all of us.

We went to such elaborate lengths to avoid injuring civilians. In our little unit we lost a number of people because we would go into canals and rivers with loudspeakers instead of shooting. . . .

When you had a guy who actually served with us condemning us en masse as war criminals - the injustice of that tarnished the souls of everybody there, particularly the people in our unit.

Source: David Isaac, Investor's Business Daily, 24 May 2004.

As for the general idea that the Navy had sent men on something akin to "suicide missions", or that their mission was a "big nothing", invite people to consider what Admiral Zumwalt thought and felt about the sacrifices of his sailors thirty years after the war:

Quote:
"I am not, like Secretary (of Defense Robert) McNamara, of the view that the war was a wasted war," said Zumwalt, who later served as Chief of Naval Operations. "It was General (Creighton) Abrams' view that the contribution made by (those who participated in Operation) SEALORDS sealed off the Delta and made possible by 1970, the pacification of that delta. Your ability to train your successors, the Vietnamese, made it possible for every Naval fighting man to be out of that war in 1970, five years before the end."

Source: Department of the Navy, Commemoration of PCF-1, 19 June 1995.
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again! I think the thing that bothered me most was that, again, I think most of the public probably thinks of a "casualty" as a significant wound. Short used that "90%" not to salute the bravery of the Swifties, but to help mock the mission. Ie., to make it seem "stupid" and "futile".

Admiral Zumwalt clearly refutes Fred Short on that point. Too bad THAT was not on Sinclair....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: