SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LAURA:The President's Secret Weapon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: LAURA:The President's Secret Weapon Reply with quote

Doesn't this LADY just make you feel good?

From The Washington Times:
Published October 25, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WEST ALLIS, Wis. -- She's never in a bad mood, says one member of her Secret Service detail.
She's "cordial," Robert Haugh says, putting away the silverware on the blue-and-white C-9 Air Force jet that has been home to the first lady and her 22-year-old twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara, for the past few weeks.
"You can't ask for anything more," Mr. Haugh says of Laura Bush, who may prove to be the real "October surprise" of the 2004 presidential campaign.
She is described by President Bush as his "secret weapon" and by daughter Jenna as "a role model for women across the country."
Her chestnut hair perfectly coifed, her gray suede pumps unscuffed and understated, her pastel blue coat and paisley shawl comfortably stylish, the 58-year-old former schoolteacher has been deployed by the Bush campaign to do what she does best: Make undecided voters fall in love with her.
Take Jeanne Richter, a 77-year-old registered Democrat who is a resident of the Village at Manor Park, where Mrs. Bush made her last solo appearance before joining her husband for the last week of the campaign. Mrs. Richter, who said she was "wavering," is now leaning toward voting for Mr. Bush.
"She's seems to be a wonderful lady," the Wisconsin woman said.
Mrs. Richter says Mrs. Bush is a better first lady than Teresa Heinz Kerry would be. "No doubt about it in my mind. ... [Mrs. Bush] was absolutely wonderful, and I'm so happy I took the time to come down and hear her personally. Sometimes when you read things, that's one thing. It's informative, yes. But seeing her in person makes you think a little bit deeper."
The president's wife and daughters spent last week wooing voters like Mrs. Richter in their "W Stands For Women" tour, so named for the president's middle initial. An all-day trek through New Hampshire on Thursday was followed by a quick trip to Wisconsin, and then on to Ohio and Florida, visiting church suppers and firehouses.
"We've been all over the place this week," Jenna says in her Texas drawl. "We started out in Las Vegas on Sunday. Because of the change in time zones, Barbara and I were lying awake last night until 2 in the morning."
Mr. Bush joked last week that he had promised his daughters a camping trip, and it turned out to be the 2004 campaign instead. Wearing a vanilla embroidered coat by favorite designer Lela Rose, Jenna says, "We're exhausted."
The president has said he promised his wife when he proposed to her that she would never have to make a political speech, but as Jenna told a small rally of Republican women in New Hampshire, "Wrong family, mom."
In the past month, the first lady delivered 30 political speeches, mostly to women and seniors. And Mrs. Bush is enormously popular -- a Gallup poll showed her with a 74 percent approval rating, more than 20 percentage points better than her husband's rating.
The first lady stays on message: Tax relief. Childhood education. No military draft. The war on terrorism. Women starting their own small businesses. Nothing ruffles her regal bearing.
"She's a source of inspiration to countless women," says actress Angie Harmon, also stumping for Mr. Bush's re-election campaign. "I have such great respect for the job she's doing."
Mrs. Bush begins every appearance with a slight nod to someone in the crowd, and makes eye contact. When Jenna introduces her mother at a rally-- repeating the same jokes she told two hours earlier at a previous stop -- the first lady laughs as if it's the first time she's heard it.
She is a hugger, a hand-holder and a reader. While Jenna scans the newspapers, chews gum or fiddles with her Blackberry on the campaign plane, her mother catches up on paperwork and nibbles apples. She usually does her own hair, unless there's a hairdresser around, and prefers simple salads and sandwiches and bottled water on the plane. Tonight is lasagna night. She keeps her wardrobe in blue garment bags, and keeps her personal opinions to herself.
"This last leg of the campaign is so crucial," says 24-year-old Erika Harold, Miss America 2003, who has taken a day off from her Harvard Law School studies to spend the day campaigning with the first lady. "I think [Mrs. Bush is] definitely an asset. She could definitely make a difference."
The first lady -- who says she hates it when police use their sirens in her motorcades because she thinks it bothers other drivers -- gets her own sugar for coffee at Jack's coffee shop in New London, Wis., where supporters have been waiting 40 minutes, chanting "Four More Years."
Inside the shop, Mrs. Bush responds without anger to Mrs. Kerry's statement that the first lady, despite years of teaching and working as a librarian and raising two daughters, "never had a real job."
Saying it "didn't hurt" her feelings, she said Mrs. Kerry "apologized ... I know how tough it is. And, actually, I know those trick questions."
While the first lady turned the other cheek to Mrs. Kerry's remark, Miss Harold says she thought the remark was catty and indicative "of how out of touch [Mrs. Kerry] may be with the way real people live."
Mrs. Bush was "probably more disappointed for other women whose choices are demeaned by [Mrs. Kerry's] remarks," said Kitty Sununu, the 39-year-old wife of New Hampshire Sen. John E. Sununu and mother of three who joined the first lady's bus tour.
Mrs. Kerry's "real job" remark apparently angered women like Kristy Donaghy, a 41-year-old mother of two from Nashua, N.H., who held up a sign reading, "I Never Had a Real Job Either -- I'm a Mom + Teacher."
The first daughters, meanwhile, are working hard to be taken more seriously, especially after Jenna was photographed sticking her tongue out at the White House press corps.
"The strongest they've been is on the road," said ABC White House correspondent Ann Compton. "It's been a very gradual coming out of their shells. There's still a little bit of the giggle there, but they're much stronger than they were."
Can the Bush women make a difference Nov. 2? Marilyn Prell, a 59-year-old Kerry supporter, sat in a bar watching the first lady's motorcade leave town.
"She doesn't hurt."

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20041025-011433-9527r.htm
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article! I am reminded of the time shortly after W was sworn in as president in 2001... I was standing in line at the grocery store and Laura Bush's picture was on the cover of Time Magazine (I think it was). I made a general comment that it was nice to see her there. Another woman turned around and said to everybody, 'Yes -- isn't she a refreshing change!' Everybody agreed! It was a superior moment Smile
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynne wrote:
Great article! I am reminded of the time shortly after W was sworn in as president in 2001... I was standing in line at the grocery store and Laura Bush's picture was on the cover of Time Magazine (I think it was). I made a general comment that it was nice to see her there. Another woman turned around and said to everybody, 'Yes -- isn't she a refreshing change!' Everybody agreed! It was a superior moment Smile

Laura Bush must be the classiest, most pristine and intelligent first lady that has been in the White house in a loooooooooooooong (if ever) time.

I know lotsa women would vote for Bush in a heartbeat simply because of her..

What a diferrence compared to the last firstlady we had, that even made her husbands infidelity a "trivial and insignificant" thing.

Surely Laura has restored the dignity and decency of the Presidency.

4 more years!!

Need some wood?!?!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that-FOUR MORE YEARS!!

Hillary was a cunning, arrogant, mouthy witch.

Teraaaza is not so cunning, but just as arrogant and mouthy.

God deliver us from the double fiasco of John & his witch in the
White House.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the idea of Jenna sticking her tongue out at the Press. I am sure they had it coming. Very Happy GO Jenna! Jenna takes after her grandma.

You can't even draw comparisons between broads like Hilary Clinton, Theresa Hyphen, Mrs. Hair, and ladies like Laura Bush.

Laura is a real sweetie, but she is not as meek and mild as she is portrayed by the media. She just has enough class and respect for her husband to keep her opinions to herself. She knows she is not the one elected by the people, and therefore should have no influence than any citizen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura is a class act that would be hard for anyone to follow. We want four more years! Very Happy
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad the President has her to help and support him.
MissouriVeteransDaughter
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura is just so wonderful and so down-to-earth. If you know any truly undecided voters, particularly women, throwing Laura's name in the conversation sure won't hurt!!!!!!! Just the thought of Teresa moving in the White House (a place I view as almost sacred) makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Laura could truly be the factor that breaks this race open for George. If she is, what sweet poetic justice!!! Kerry can run from his pathetic wife....but he can't hide!
"Lord...Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowman" Ps15:1-3.
Islander
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Quote:
"Lord...Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowman" Ps15:1-3.

How so very appropriate. Someone needs to send it to Kerry's campaign. They need to learn this lesson.
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer that "Behind Every good man is a Good Woman." You know the President is a good man because a woman like this wouldn't settle for anything less!
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura Bush was called the "comforter in chief" after 9/11.
Not only did she speak to us as parents and speak to our children's needs as a teacher, I'm sure that the President sought her comforting support as well.
Quiet dignity. Ability to speak well. A lady in every way...

Of all the first ladies I have seen (and I remember Jackie O in that role) this one has my vote as the best..... (Jackie O lost points when I found out that she overlooked infidelity.....)
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIaunt wrote:
Quiet dignity. Ability to speak well. A lady in every way...

Of all the first ladies I have seen (and I remember Jackie O in that role) this one has my vote as the best..... (Jackie O lost points when I found out that she overlooked infidelity.....)

I did like Barbara Bush too but not quite as much as Laura.

One of the things I love most about this administration are the role models they have presented the young girls of our country. With Clinton, we got 0! With Bush, we really get 2! Not only did he give us Laura, but what a POWERFUL role model in Condi Rice as well!
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Good Role models....

Condi in 2008 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: