SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60 Minutes Admits They Were Going to Air story elec eve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: 60 Minutes Admits They Were Going to Air story elec eve Reply with quote

Just heard it on Brit Hume -

They were holding weapons story til right before the election -

Plus (thank God) Paul Bremer is on right now debunking the weapons story.
8dayweek
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they still do:

ABC News - IAEA Says only 3 tons of high explosives left at Al QaQuaa when last checked
ABC World News Tonight | 10/27/2004 | Martha Radditz

I looked to see if anyone else had posted this - I apologize if I missed it - about 8 minutes into ABC World News Tonight, Martha Radditz ended up her report on the missing explosives with words to this effect:

Peter, late breaking information from IAEA is that when they last inspected the Al QAQaa facility in (January? March?) 2003, there were not 180 tons of high explosives, but only 3 tons.

She did qualify that I think by stating a particular type of high explosive - either MX(?) or the other of the two types, but whatever it was, sounds like there might have been a lot less left to be "missing" at any time the US forces could have been there.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8dayweek wrote:
I hope they still do:

ABC News - IAEA Says only 3 tons of high explosives left at Al QaQuaa when last checked
ABC World News Tonight | 10/27/2004 | Martha Radditz

I looked to see if anyone else had posted this - I apologize if I missed it - about 8 minutes into ABC World News Tonight, Martha Radditz ended up her report on the missing explosives with words to this effect:

Peter, late breaking information from IAEA is that when they last inspected the Al QAQaa facility in (January? March?) 2003, there were not 180 tons of high explosives, but only 3 tons.

She did qualify that I think by stating a particular type of high explosive - either MX(?) or the other of the two types, but whatever it was, sounds like there might have been a lot less left to be "missing" at any time the US forces could have been there.

weren't they saying something like 380 tons at first?
Great development!!
8dayweek
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, why let a little research and facts get in the way when you have an election to influence? They could have vetted this non-story in less time than it took me to type this response.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey when your circling the drain you'll scream out anything! Very Happy
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God, the NYTimes jumped the gun on this Story, there would have be no time to debunk it otherwise

Watching Michael Moores every Move
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is 60 Minutes going to go with on Sunday? They've got to have some other Bush hit piece in waiting - let me guess, the 154th National Guard story about Bush? Bush campaign trying to disenfranchise black-voters? More on Bush's DUI? An expose about how the terrorists say they won't attack us if Bush doesn't win the election?

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a going off the air forever piece...
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was being leaked on the Net, the NYtimes didn't jump the gun they were exposed . I love the Internet, Freerepublic and all of the like minded Blogs Very Happy

Both the NYtimes article and CBS story were an election night surprise

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3493-2004Oct27.html

Quote:
On Sunday night, New York Times Executive Editor Bill Keller told Jeff Fager, executive producer of CBS's "60 Minutes," that the story they had been jointly pursuing on missing Iraqi ammunition was starting to leak on the Internet.

"You know what? We're going to have to run it Monday," Keller said.

The paper's front-page story, charging that 377 tons of powerful bomb-making material "vanished sometime after the American-led invasion last year," hit the presidential campaign with explosive force, as Sen. John F. Kerry seized on it for three straight days and President Bush accused Kerry yesterday of making "wild charges."

The article has also sparked criticism of the two news organizations from some conservatives, who accuse the Times and CBS of orchestrating a late hit against Bush.

Keller said in an interview yesterday that campaigns "attack the messenger" when they do not like the message. "Beating up on the so-called elite media has a nice populist ring to it, and some of it is calculated," he said. Bush campaign officials thought that "if they barked at us, we would back off. . . . We've vetted this every way we can, and we continue to do that."

Keller said "60 Minutes" executives asked the newspaper to hold the story until this Sunday so they could report it the same day, and "we said we weren't comfortable doing that because it wouldn't give the White House a fair opportunity to respond."

Fager dismissed criticism of the timing as "absurd," saying "it was a breaking news story and a significant one. It's impossible to manage these things." He said "60 Minutes" and correspondent Ed Bradley had planned to break the story this Sunday -- two days before the election -- only because "the story came to us on relatively short notice" and that was the next available show. The program has a separate staff from "60 Minutes Wednesday."

Fager said it was "incredibly unfair" to link the ammunition story to the earlier "60 Minutes Wednesday" report on documents about Bush's National Guard service, which CBS has admitted it cannot authenticate.

A Bush campaign release Tuesday accused the Times of publishing a "false story," without elaboration. Critics on the right say the story was overblown.

Weekly Standard Editor Bill Kristol said the front-page piece, while accurate, was "somewhat hyped" and that it "didn't put it into context how important 380 tons are when there are tens of thousands of explosives in the country." He also called CBS's plan to report the story Sunday night "really kind of stunning."

The Wall Street Journal editorial page questioned the article's timing. Among Fox News commentators, Bill O'Reilly questioned whether it was "a legitimate story or a dirty trick," while Tony Snow said the article "looks pretty bogus" and is "an embarrassment to the New York Times and also CBS."

The principal uncertainty about the story involves the timing of the ammunition's disappearance. The White House says the explosives may have gone missing while Saddam Hussein still controlled Iraq.

"Sure there's a possibility" that happened, Keller said, "and I think the original story accounted for that possibility. . . . I don't think we've ever claimed there was a definitive answer to what became of this stuff."

Bush campaign officials point out that Kerry's foreign policy advisers cannot say for sure what transpired. Richard C. Holbrooke told Fox that "I don't know what happened," and Jamie Rubin told CNN it was "possible" the weapons were removed by Hussein. A top Republican strategist said the Times did not spell out the possibility that Hussein moved the ammunition and that CBS was planning a last-minute "ambush on the president."

Kerry spokesman Chad Clanton deflected questions about whether the Democratic nominee was going beyond the available evidence in assailing Bush for "incredible incompetence" and using the Times headline in an attack ad. "This is a devastating report for the Bush administration," Clanton said. "The president could clear this up if he would come forward and tell us what happened."

There have been reports for 18 months about the looting of Iraqi weapons. What three Times reporters wrote Monday, days after getting a tip from a "60 Minutes" producer, was that Iraq's interim government had warned U.S. and international inspectors earlier this month that 377 tons of explosives were missing.

NBC's Jim Miklaszewski, who was embedded with the Army's 101st Airborne Division during the war, reported Monday that the unit visited the Qaqaa weapons facility on April 10, 2003, and never found the explosives.

Anchor Tom Brokaw clarified the next night that "we simply reported that the 101st did not find them. For its part, the Bush campaign immediately pointed to our report as conclusive proof that the weapons had been removed before the Americans arrived. That is possible, but that is not what we reported." The Times on Tuesday quoted the unit's commander as saying his troops had stopped at the facility but did not search it.

Keller said the original story noted that the Qaqaa facility had last been visited by U.N. inspectors in March 2003, and quoted a letter from a senior Iraqi official saying that the stockpile disappeared after early April 2003 -- during the war -- because of theft and looting. Other than some last-minute checks and editing on Sunday, Keller said, "the story was basically ready."

Watching Michael Moores every Move
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoEagles wrote:
So what is 60 Minutes going to go with on Sunday? They've got to have some other Bush hit piece in waiting - let me guess, the 154th National Guard story about Bush? Bush campaign trying to disenfranchise black-voters? More on Bush's DUI? An expose about how the terrorists say they won't attack us if Bush doesn't win the election?

Nah GoEagles, it'll be something along the line that W. kicks dogs, pulls the wings off flies and feeds seagulls alka-seltzer every chance he gets and laughs gleefully when the gulls die. FILM AT ELEVEN! Twisted Evil
soccer4ever
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow's Washington Times features an article by Bill Gertz in which John A. Shaw, the deputy undersecretary of defense for international technology security, says that Russian troops "almost certainly" helped Saddam's men clean the Al Qaqaa site out before the Iraq War started.

We'll have more on this tomorrow. One way or another, it appears clear that the 380 tons of explosives that are now "missing" were moved by Saddam prior to the start of the war. I suppose the point is too obvious to be worth making, but 380 tons is a lot of material--approximately 38 semi-truck loads. Yet it has, apparently, completely disappeared, probably because it was shipped to Syria before the war started. Do you suppose that, whereever the 380 tons are now, there might be a little extra room for some vials of anthrax, sarin, nerve gas, etc.?

DEACON adds: If Shaw's version, as reported by the Washington Times, holds up and (as importantly) gets heard, the consequences for Kerry could be serious. The Senator will have (a) jumped to a conclusion that wasn't supported by the facts, (b) assumed the incompetence of our troops, (c) confirmed President Bush's position that Iraq had weapons worth worrying about, and (d) unleashed evidence that, as Rocket Man notes, suggests that chemical and biological weapons could easily have been moved out of Iraq just before we invaded. In light of the final point, though, what puzzles me is this: if the Defense Department has evidence that the Russians helped clean out Alqaqaa, why haven't we heard about this before now (or did I just miss it). Evidence that Iraqi weapons, any weapons, were moved out of the country by the Russians would have been helpful to the administration long before now. Maybe we learned about it recently, as relations with Russia have improved.

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/008341.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: