SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health Insurance, only an issue in liberal run states?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Health Insurance, only an issue in liberal run states? Reply with quote

I fail to see the urgency in the health insurance and prescription drugs at the federal level. Ohio provides low income insurance for children and prescription drug aid for low income seniors. Is it just the liberal run states that are not providing relief for their population?

I wonder if anyone has done research to see if liberal run states are not providing health care relief since they are constantly looking to the federal government for free everything? It is a state issue if you ask me.

My answer to those who complain about health insurance is to get rid of their liberal local politicans and get a conservative government at home. The Republican state of Ohio is doing great with health care.

Adding a link I found to the CHIP childrens insurance program. Here is a state by state list of statistics.

http://www.urban.org/Template.cfm?NavMenuID=24&template=/TaggedContent/ViewPublication.cfm&PublicationID=5894
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been telling everyone the same thing. We have in this area a program called "Healthy start" . You can make up to $10.00 an hour and still qualify. So my question has always been if all these women who supposedly only make minimum wage and have children and DON'T have health insurance for their kids? I don't think so! Also, I know in my area there is NOT a difference in wages between men and women. There has been in effect for about 14-15 years a federal mandate that if you feel that you are being discriminated against, you can file an EEOC. I know, I filed one 14 years ago when I worked in the Post Office. As soon as you file it, it costs the employer an automatic $500.00 fine whether or not you prove it or not. That is an upfront cost to cover the investigation. I use to be union rep for Postal Clerks.
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another perspective on the whole issue of health insurance: Both the Democrats and Republicans are completely corrupt on this issue and have it all wrong. By doing their campaign donors bidding, they are seriously hurting real people.

The Democrats are completely in the tank for the trial lawyers. This is doing unbelievable damage to the health and safety of Americans.

The Republicans (and many Democrats) are bought and paid for by the insurance industry. This is also very bad for many, many Americans.

Kerry points to the employer payroll reports to show the overall job loss in this country since Bush took office. Bush points to the state unemployment numbers to point to his net job creation.

Where Kerry has this wrong is that so many millions of Americans who lost there jobs after 9/11 and the dot com crash have gone out and started their own businesses.

People who are in this category account for a large chunk of the uninsured. Kerry doesn't care about these people. The insurance companies hate the self employed. Bush has a plan to address this issue -- but it doesn't go far enough. No plan will be able to until the law suit issue gets taken care of.

Health insurance is broken in this country. If the choice is Hillary care or the status quo, I'm taking None of the Above.

BTW, just so you know my perspective -- I am self employed and have a family of four. We pay more for health insurance than we do for our mortgage (and are all healthy).

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my healthcare plan....my premiums for next will not go up....so it is affordable for me and myn family..
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have issues with this. I have a difficult illness and spend a lot of time with doctors. I am on lists with other people who have the same problems. It is not that easy to qualify for medicad, u must be so poor, well, so poor u could not actually afford to live . (my mom had to end u on medicad when she went to a nursing home so I acutely remember the application process, it was hard and u must be extremely poor) We pay $400 month for our insurance and still there are co-pays and deductibles and all that. It is hard b/c i am disabled and my husband does not make a lot of money. I worked very hard all my life and have never been on welfare, and don't expect the government to provide me a living. but people should be able to get healthcare and they often can't. either they don't have access to insurance or the preminums are so high, or they aren't poor enough for government programs. If u do not believe me, check into yur state and find out how little u have to make to qualify for help. U sill be surprised. It is very hard on those of us who are "working poor" who make enough to survive but can't afford medicine. It is a horrible problem in this country, and it is not just a bunch of losers wanting free meds and all. It is people, the people who make too much for assistance of any kind but have to chose between paying the light bill or getting a med.
I am a nurse, and i have worked hard and paid my taxes for many years. But I'm here to tell u our healthcare system stinks. and texas is one of the worst. and I'm speaking from the inside b/c i have worked in the system and now i'm a patient.
There are legitimaite problems about healthcare, these people are not cranks that complain. I am supporitng Bush, but I will tell u Texas is not a good place to get ill and need help. We have almost no real assistanace.
It is easy to say they are all knee jerk liberals, looking for handouts, but u never know, u too may one day not have enough money to pay your doc, and no insurance, and can't afford meds. I have worked hard all my life and never been on assistance. I don't expect the governemt to feed me. but I do need affordable healthcare.
Our healthcare needs major reform, I am not saying universal healthcare, but we need to get the insurance companies out of the business of dictating our heallthcare. The cost of insurance is too high.

It is easy to speak and say that these people are just looking for an handout, they are lazy , do not want to work, etc. but when u are in their shoes, u might see it differenlty.
Kerry is wrong, his ideas on healthcare reform won't work, and I voted for Bush.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly issues with individual health care for sure. But the Democrats rhetoric is to say there are poor children and poor everyone who do not have health care or medical insurance.

I have insurance but it is not a free ride. It is provided by my husbands work benifits, but we still pay a deductable and 20% copay that starts over each year. If we both end up with a lot of hospital and doctor bills we pay several thousand dollars a year in medical expenditures. So I didn't mean to say there are no problems for the average person.

The issue is that it is said that the poor go without medical insurance therefore they don't have good health care. That is not the case.

I have family members on welfare and medicade. I have never seen them go without health care at all. Actually both the husband and wife have had that bypass surgery to help them lose weight [at government expense] and the husband is having the left over flab removed at government expense.

Seems to me the issue should be that the cost of health care should be brought under control so the middle class is not so squeezed. Maybe an income tax deduction across the board for medical expense. At least part of the answer is to control medical malpractice and made sure the doctor passes that saving on to his patients.

wednesdaychild wrote:
I have issues with this. I have a difficult illness and spend a lot of time with doctors. I am on lists with other people who have the same problems. It is not that easy to qualify for medicad, u must be so poor, well, so poor u could not actually afford to live . (my mom had to end u on medicad when she went to a nursing home so I acutely remember the application process, it was hard and u must be extremely poor) We pay $400 month for our insurance and still there <snip>
for Bush.
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.deleted by weds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: