SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A homeless Vet searching for food in trash cans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: A homeless Vet searching for food in trash cans Reply with quote

My husband and I stopped in a gas station to get a coke. a homeless man was walking through with a shopping cart . He was looking through the trash for food. I saw him and jumped out of the car and ran inside the store and told my husband what I had seen and to quickly buy a sandwhich and give it to me. Others saw him and some lowered their eyes, some did not look at all, as if he was not human. I ran and found him and gave it to him . he had found something to eat , and was so hungry he had his mouth full of food and could not swallow b/c he had no liquid. I gave him a large power drink. He told me he was a Vet, and from his age, I am guessing Gulf war. He appeared mentally ill. I touched his shoulder and thanked him for his service to our country, and said God bless you. Our community has very few homeless people and I knew it was not wise to give him money, most likely someone would steal it from him So i gave food and drink. I should have done more. We can't just let our vets wonder the streets.
The sight of another human being going through trash to get food has done somethig to me. I can't sit by while I have a warm bed and this man is probably sleeping on a bench. Maybe the police picked him up and he has a place to sleep tonight.
Also the fact his man is a Vet, really got to me. I will be looking for this man again, and if i see him, I am going to try and hook him up wth the VA. I was raised a religous person, and when I see other humans walking by someone like he was a dog going through the trash, it disturbed me greatly.
I have to find someway to help others like this. i can't sit idily by.
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this...conservatives, in my experience, are basically compassionate and good people...your heart for others and your eagerness to help are wonderful impulses...look into the network in your area be it through churches or civic groups and, as you say, figure out a way to help...light a candle in the darkness and at the same time, turn another liberal deception on its head!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: