SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoiding attacking suspected terrorist mastermind
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Avoiding attacking suspected terrorist mastermind Reply with quote

Could Kerry possibly be a worse Commander in Chief?
LOL - I suppose that if Clinton had bombed the guy he would have just been accused of trying to distract from his lies about his BJ.
I'd suspect that most any other Commander in Chief would have bombed the guy whether or not he was determined to go to war with Iraq.
Well, I suppose any other Commander in Chief might have not had a maniac like Rumsfeld running a military with too few troops for a follow up.

Abu Musab Zarqawi blamed for more than 700 killings in Iraq
By Jim Miklaszewski
Correspondent
NBC News
Updated: 7:14 p.m. ET March 02, 2004

With Tuesday’s attacks, Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian militant with ties to al-Qaida, is now blamed for more than 700 terrorist killings in Iraq.

advertisement
But NBC News has learned that long before the war the Bush administration had several chances to wipe out his terrorist operation and perhaps kill Zarqawi himself — but never pulled the trigger.

In June 2002, U.S. officials say intelligence had revealed that Zarqawi and members of al-Qaida had set up a weapons lab at Kirma, in northern Iraq, producing deadly ricin and cyanide.

The Pentagon quickly drafted plans to attack the camp with cruise missiles and airstrikes and sent it to the White House, where, according to U.S. government sources, the plan was debated to death in the National Security Council.

‘People were more obsessed with developing the coalition to overthrow Saddam than to execute the president’s policy of pre-emption against terrorists.’

— Roger Cressey
Terrorism expert
“Here we had targets, we had opportunities, we had a country willing to support casualties, or risk casualties after 9/11 and we still didn’t do it,” said Michael O’Hanlon, military analyst with the Brookings Institution.

Four months later, intelligence showed Zarqawi was planning to use ricin in terrorist attacks in Europe.

The Pentagon drew up a second strike plan, and the White House again killed it. By then the administration had set its course for war with Iraq.

“People were more obsessed with developing the coalition to overthrow Saddam than to execute the president’s policy of preemption against terrorists,” according to terrorism expert and former National Security Council member Roger Cressey.

In January 2003, the threat turned real. Police in London arrested six terror suspects and discovered a ricin lab connected to the camp in Iraq.

The Pentagon drew up still another attack plan, and for the third time, the National Security Council killed it.

Military officials insist their case for attacking Zarqawi’s operation was airtight, but the administration feared destroying the terrorist camp in Iraq could undercut its case for war against Saddam.

The United States did attack the camp at Kirma at the beginning of the war, but it was too late — Zarqawi and many of his followers were gone. “Here’s a case where they waited, they waited too long and now we’re suffering as a result inside Iraq,” Cressey added.

And despite the Bush administration’s tough talk about hitting the terrorists before they strike, Zarqawi’s killing streak continues today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4431601/
blackfrancis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding attacking suspected terrorist mastermind Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Could Kerry possibly be a worse Commander in Chief?
LOL - I suppose that if Clinton had bombed the guy he would have just been accused of trying to distract from his lies about his BJ.
I'd suspect that most any other Commander in Chief would have bombed the guy whether or not he was determined to go to war with Iraq.
Well, I suppose any other Commander in Chief might have not had a maniac like Rumsfeld running a military with too few troops for a follow up.

Abu Musab Zarqawi blamed for more than 700 killings in Iraq
By Jim Miklaszewski
Correspondent
NBC News
Updated: 7:14 p.m. ET March 02, 2004

With Tuesday’s attacks, Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian militant with ties to al-Qaida, is now blamed for more than 700 terrorist killings in Iraq.

advertisement
But NBC News has learned that long before the war the Bush administration had several chances to wipe out his terrorist operation and perhaps kill Zarqawi himself — but never pulled the trigger.

In June 2002, U.S. officials say intelligence had revealed that Zarqawi and members of al-Qaida had set up a weapons lab at Kirma, in northern Iraq, producing deadly ricin and cyanide.

The Pentagon quickly drafted plans to attack the camp with cruise missiles and airstrikes and sent it to the White House, where, according to U.S. government sources, the plan was debated to death in the National Security Council.

‘People were more obsessed with developing the coalition to overthrow Saddam than to execute the president’s policy of pre-emption against terrorists.’

— Roger Cressey
Terrorism expert
“Here we had targets, we had opportunities, we had a country willing to support casualties, or risk casualties after 9/11 and we still didn’t do it,” said Michael O’Hanlon, military analyst with the Brookings Institution.

Four months later, intelligence showed Zarqawi was planning to use ricin in terrorist attacks in Europe.

The Pentagon drew up a second strike plan, and the White House again killed it. By then the administration had set its course for war with Iraq.

“People were more obsessed with developing the coalition to overthrow Saddam than to execute the president’s policy of preemption against terrorists,” according to terrorism expert and former National Security Council member Roger Cressey.

In January 2003, the threat turned real. Police in London arrested six terror suspects and discovered a ricin lab connected to the camp in Iraq.

The Pentagon drew up still another attack plan, and for the third time, the National Security Council killed it.

Military officials insist their case for attacking Zarqawi’s operation was airtight, but the administration feared destroying the terrorist camp in Iraq could undercut its case for war against Saddam.

The United States did attack the camp at Kirma at the beginning of the war, but it was too late — Zarqawi and many of his followers were gone. “Here’s a case where they waited, they waited too long and now we’re suffering as a result inside Iraq,” Cressey added.

And despite the Bush administration’s tough talk about hitting the terrorists before they strike, Zarqawi’s killing streak continues today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4431601/

it does seem like if they did bomb the camp when terrorists were present, it would have made more sense.
Richard
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Now you believe US intelligence Reply with quote

all of a sudden US intelligence is actionable.

He said:

1. I thought there were no Al Qaeda in Iraq.
2. I thought there were no WMD in Iraq.
3. Liberals have spent two years explaining why there was no actionable intelligence to attack Iraq. Rather, it was all a lie made up by neocon chickenhawks.

Apparently, this is the lone, singular assertion by the CIA that liberals wholeheartedly trust. The CIA also concluded that evidence of WMDs in Iraq was -- in the words of CIA director George Tenet -- a "slam dunk case." But liberals hysterically denounce that CIA conclusion as a "misperception" created by President Bush so he could play war.

Recently, during the 9/11 hearings, about the time Richard Ben-Veniste was shocked that the FBI hadn't uncovered the 9/11 plot based on the fact that Moussaoui had overstayed his visa, Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Chuck Schumer were clamoring for the release of Ansar Mahmood, a 26-year-old Pakistani immigrant detained in October 2001 after he was observed taking photographs at a water treatment plant in upstate New York. Mahmood later pleaded guilty to committing a felony by giving financial aid to illegal immigrants from Pakistan. Schumer says Mahmood should be permitted to stay in the U.S. because he "was cleared of terrorist links," and he has already served his time for "a non-violent felony." Hillary simply calls Mahmood's detention "disturbing."

Liberals always claim to know exactly what to do as soon as it's too late. After Muslims attack with airplanes, they want to investigate flight schools. After Muslims attack with shoe-bombs, they want to investigate shoes. After a Muslim introduces E. coli into New York's water supply, liberals will be enraged that Muslim immigrants taking pictures of New York water treatment plants weren't investigated more aggressively -- as soon as they are done blaming Bush for not stopping the attack amid their caterwauling about the detention of Muslim immigrants. Liberals are the only known species whose powers of reasoning are not improved by the benefit of hindsight. Not only are they always fighting the last war, in most cases they're losing it.

Richard
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I thought there were no Al Qaeda in Iraq.
2. I thought there were no WMD in Iraq.
3. Liberals have spent two years explaining why there was no actionable intelligence to attack Iraq. Rather, it was all a lie made up by neocon chickenhawks

Umm, the camp was located in Kurdish controlled Northern Iraq. Thanks for playing though.
Craig

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding attacking suspected terrorist mastermind Reply with quote

[quote="blackfrancis"]
Craig wrote:

it does seem like if they did bomb the camp when terrorists were present, it would have made more sense.

Would you suppose the president micromanaged poor timing?
Maybe an appointee?
Someone down the line FU or when they knew he was there it came to him just not being there long enough?
One can wonder about how many times Saddam was nowhere near where that "intelligence" on the ground said he was there for sure in some underground complex that later was found to not exist.
Maybe some "reliable" informant just saw a way to get rid of someone who he owed sixty bucks so he got the US to start the "Shock and Awe" a bit premature.
Whatever.
Clinton bombed a pill factory and who knows how much collateral damage to folks who did not get medications then.
Bush bombed a whole lot of ****.
I wonder hos much of each might have had to do with appointees micromanaging and f*cking up folks who might have done competent job had they been left to do what they might be competent to do and with no interference.
I am sure that anyone who has been in the military has experienced doing a job and the folks involved has things going along just fine. Then some know it all person of rank just walk through and not even just do a whole lot of imposing their wisdom but somehow after they passed things were all f*cked up now.
Bush appointed Rumsfeld.
One thing of a competent leader is that he might have some wisdom to delegate authority to more competent than his self to deal with what the appointee should be competent. So far it has seemed to me that competence has been anathema to this administration unless it goes along with the preconceived program of incompetent political appointees.

Judges - presidents get to appoint judges. If some bad appointment to the Supremes id not live for five years he might could manage to screw things up for the next fifty - and I would think that be if the court became slanted too far left or right.
Right now I think that if Thomas had the courtesy to drop dead and he be replaced with some regular right winger then the balance would be about right.
I fear that anyone retire and Bush would appoint what liberals and conservatives would regret for long time to come.
Richard
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikest wrote:

Umm, the camp was located in Kurdish controlled Northern Iraq. Thanks for playing though.

Hi Mike Very Happy

I just love debating with liberals and malcontents. Laughing

First, there were three ascertions
  • I thought there were no Al Qaeda in Iraq.
  • I thought there were no WMD in Iraq.
  • Liberals have spent two years explaining why there was no actionable intelligence to attack Iraq. Rather, it was all a lie made up by neocon chickenhawks.

You make some off topic remark and then forget to respond to the points made.

But I see now!! Now we have to make a distinction between Iraq and Northern Iraq. I don't recall anyone of the liberal persuasion saying we can't invade "Southern" Iraq. Why do you Bush-haters constantly apologize for Saddam Hussien?

But just to set the record straight, Khurma (aka Kirma) is in the Sulamaniyah district just north of Halabjah, only 150 miles from Baghdad. If you remember, Halabjah is the village that was gassed. Once the Kurds were all murdered, the Al-Qaeda group known as Ansar Al Islam moved in from across the boarder in Iran. They established the ricin lab that was eventually destroyed.

Map of Sulamaniyah District

I hate to ruin your day(s) here, but the Saddam defense is really beginning to unravel. Especially now that the Al-Qaeda (that were never there) are using sarin artillary shells (that Saddam never had).

Have a great day (if you can) Laughing

Richard
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

Quote:

How's my comment off topic? The area Zarkawi was working on Ricin was controlled by the Kurds, so of course there has to be a distinction.The admin has admitted as much although they do downplay it in order to bolster their argument. Then you go on to say that the Sarin shell was proof that Saddam was still using them. Yet someone with a third grade reading comp level can see in the article that it was pre GW1, that could be why that scaped your attention. Laughing

I hate to ruin your day but the Bush admin is unravelling especially when this is the best you can do.
Craig

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
mikest wrote:

Hi Mike Very Happy

I just love debating with liberals and malcontents. Laughing

First, there were three ascertions
  • I thought there were no Al Qaeda in Iraq.
  • I thought there were no WMD in Iraq.
  • Liberals have spent two years explaining why there was no actionable intelligence to attack Iraq. Rather, it was all a lie made up by neocon chickenhawks.

But I see now!! Now we have to make a distinction between Iraq and Northern Iraq. I don't recall anyone of the liberal persuasion saying we can't invade "Southern" Iraq. Why do you Bush-haters constantly apologize for Saddam Hussien?

But just to set the record straight, Khurma (aka Kirma) is in the Sulamaniyah district just north of Halabjah, only 150 miles from Baghdad. If you remember, Halabjah is the village that was gassed. Once the Kurds were all murdered, the Al-Qaeda group known as Ansar Al Islam moved in from across the boarder in Iran. They established the ricin lab that was eventually destroyed.

Map of Sulamaniyah District

I hate to ruin your day(s) here, but the Saddam defense is really beginning to unravel. Especially now that the Al-Qaeda (that were never there) are using sarin artillary shells (that Saddam never had).

Have a great day (if you can) Laughing

Richard

You do not debate with liberals and malcontents. You spew fallacious BS at folks who do not agree with your agenda.
Your "... but the Saddam defense is really beginning to unravel." does not even make any sense.
Even people on site and those whom you would support do not subscribe to the crap you are arguing in their defense.
Richard
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike & Craig,

Life just got better Very Happy . I found two left wing liberal Kerry supporters to play with. It's going to be my pleasure to expose the typical left wing hate and vitriol you two represent. I especially like the attitude of

"La France et le Kerry sont le numéro un !"

You say I can't debate. But my points were simple and clearly made.
Quote:

If that satement is true, how do you then defend the arguments made before and during the military action that:
  • There were no Al Qaeda in Iraq?
  • Iraq was not working with WMD?
  • All intelligence about Iraq was bogus?

You can't just dismiss this very simple observation and related question by saying it all happened in the north where Kurds had control. First, Khurma is over 200 miles "SOUTH" of the Baathist stronghold of Mosul. And as I pointed out, Khurma is located very near Halabjah which was completely wiped out by Saddam. Obviously he had some influence. He managed to murder 5,000 in just one day.

Please confirm this for yourself: Arrow Political Map of Iraq

Would you now say it was ok to invade Iraq if we had just limited ourselves to northern Iraq? Rolling Eyes

I eagerly await your explanation so we can all understand where the liberals stand.

Richard
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Mike & Craig,

Life just got better Very Happy . I found two left wing liberal Kerry supporters to play with. It's going to be my pleasure to expose the typical left wing hate and vitriol you two represent. I especially like the attitude of

"La France et le Kerry sont le numéro un !"

You say I can't debate. But my points were simple and clearly made.
Quote:

If that satement is true, how do you then defend the arguments made before and during the military action that:
  • There were no Al Qaeda in Iraq?
  • All intelligence about Iraq was bogus?

You can't just dismiss this very simple observation and related question by saying it all happened in the north where Kurds had control. First, Khurma is over 200 miles "SOUTH" of the Baathist stronghold of Mosul. And as I pointed out, Khurma is located very near Halabjah which was completely wiped out by Saddam. Obviously he had some influence. He managed to murder 5,000 in just one day.

Please confirm this for yourself: Arrow Political Map of Iraq

Would you now say it was ok to invade Iraq if we had just limited ourselves to northern Iraq? Rolling Eyes

I eagerly await your explanation so we can all understand where the liberals stand.

Richard
Wow. You restate a bunch of your post and say your day got better. Mine got worse knowng that idiots like you can vote. My point stands, as it always did, that Saddam was not in control of the area Zarkawi was. That was controlled by the Kurds and US. And the largerer point of the article was that we could have taken him out, but didn't because it wouldinterfere with the case for war. I know this won't get through your skull, so I will leave you for more intelligent people.
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, when do we attack Israel for having terrorists in the West Bank?
Richard
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

OK Mike,

You can't answer. I'm not surprised because there is no reply. This is a solid example of liberal journalism and liberals' desire to believe anything bad about President Bush regardless of the smell test.

"Idiots can vote". WOW! You just opened yourself up again. Ever heard of the voting rights act? I guess it's ok to vote as long as you vote Democratic.

Mike wrote:
By the way, when do we attack Israel for having terrorists in the West Bank?

Just like Iraq, Mike. We go in when Congress authorizes it and the President makes the decision. Or don't you know about the "War Powers Act" either?

Richard
Craig

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Kling wrote:
> Craig Kling wrote:
>
>>
Richard wrote:
Mike & Craig,
>>
>>Life just got better Very Happy .

How fortunate for you.

>>I found two left wing liberal Kerry
>>supporters to play with. It's going to be my pleasure to expose the
>>typical left wing hate and vitriol you two represent. I especially
>>like the attitude of

Projecting?

>>
>>"La France et le Kerry sont le numéro un !"

Frog stuff?
Pomposity that you learned or looks up a phrase in another language?
Impressive.

>>
>>You say I can't debate.

Did someone other than you say that?

>>But my points were simple and clearly made.

Oh.

>>
Quote:
In June 2002, U.S. officials say intelligence had revealed that
>>Zarqawi and members of al-Qaida had set up a weapons lab at Kirma, in
>>northern Iraq, producing deadly ricin and cyanide.

It is said that them folks did that and did it there.
It was never followed up that I caught that there was anything to it.
The toxins mentioned are simple **** and I don't know why such big issue is made of either. Ricin could be extracted in a kitchen and cyanide is available almost anywhere. Currently in US it is harder to acquire by people with legitimate use than it would be by terrorists.

But I am willing to give you a pass on getting all excited about stuff that you do not know squat about.

I know **** that there is antidote but could kill quicker than ricin - so WTf? Knock down my doors for sake of I know **** in turn of the century Britannica Encyclopedia?

If you have been taking Castor oil you might test positive for ricin. If you walked through a dairy your shoes might test positive for ricin.

But screw that. We know that them Al Qaeda folks in Northern Iraq were up to no good even if their only viable rout to the outside was through Iran.

>>
>>If that satement is true,

I think you have a problem with what is true and what does it mean.
I think it has been well enough conceded by the powers that be that the Saddam connection to that is not valid so I will not further address your nonsense about it.

>>how do you then defend the arguments made
>>before and during the military action that:
  • There were no Al
    >>Qaeda in Iraq?
  • All intelligence
    >>about Iraq was bogus?

See above about dismissing your nonsense.
Northern Iraq was not in Saddams control. Was in Kurds the best they could do. Might as well blame them.
Did you read the article before you started carrying on with your nonsense?

>>You can't just dismiss this very simple observation and related
>>question by saying it all happened in the north where Kurds had
>>control. First, Khurma is over 200 miles "SOUTH" of the Baathist
>>stronghold of Mosul. And as I pointed out, Khurma is located very
>>near Halabjah which was completely wiped out by Saddam. Obviously he
>>had some influence. He managed to murder 5,000 in just one day.

Provide links and maps. I am certainly not going to do your work for you to prove of disprove and especially when you seem to need to inject some ******** into your excuse for logic.

Sh*t. Let me take a moment to look back at the start of your rant.

Okay - You are just going to expose stuff. You did not say that you were going to have at it with logic and reason.

>>
>>Please confirm this for yourself: Arrow

WTF you talking about?

>>
>
> Poli
>
>>tical Map of Iraq

I have seen maps of Iraq.

>>
>>Would you now say it was ok to invade Iraq if we had just limited
>>ourselves to northern Iraq? Rolling Eyes

I would say that is a very silly question.

>>
>>I eagerly await your explanation so we can all understand where the
>>liberals stand.

I would suggest that you wait as fast as you can.
I know some folks who would consider themselves conservatives and folks who would consider themselves liberal.

I'd just make a guess that the most of either would consider you as being a smart ass kid who thinks he has it just all figured out.

Thank you for the amusement. Shame this thing does not have killfile like Usenet clients.

>>
>>Richard

Well, silly pup - what is it that you figure to present to make myself or some others to be as your plaything?
My own greatest problem of the moment is to pull a string to try to discover if you be a pull toy or just a duck on a leash.

--
"Back in 2000 a Republican friend warned me that if I voted for Al Gore and
he won, the stock market would tank, we'd lose millions of jobs, and our
military would be totally overstretched. You know what? I did vote for
Gore, he did win, and I'll be damned if all those things didn't come
true!"
--James Carville
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
You do not debate with liberals and malcontents.

At last, a quote from a liberal malcontent I can agree with. You do not debate with liberals and malcontents, as they do not understand the basic rules of debate.

A summary of the flaws in their 'debate' strategies (courtesy http://www.megat.co.uk/wrong/ , Dilbert, Catbert, Dogbert, and Scott Adams. These were compiled by Adams based on stories from real people, writing to him with their personal obervations of idiocy in the workplace).

It's quite easy to 'map' the arguments of hysterical liberals and leftists to one or more of these principles:

Amazingly Bad Analogy
Example: You can train a dog to fetch a stick. Therefore, you can train a potato to dance.

Faulty Cause and Effect

Example: On the basis of my observations, wearing huge trousers makes you fat.

I am the World
Example: I don't listen to country music. Therefore, country music is not popular.

Ignoring Everything Science Knows about the Brain
Example: People choose to be obese/gay/alcoholic because they prefer the lifestyle.

The Few are the Same as the Whole
Example: Some Elbonians are animal rights activists. Some Elbonians wear fur coats. Therefore, Elbonians are hypocrites.

Generalizing from Self
Example: I'm a liar. Therefore, I don't believe what you're saying.

Argument by Bizarre Definition
Example: He's not a criminal. He just does things that are against the law.

Total Logical Disconnect
Example: I enjoy pasta because my house is made of bricks.

Judging Things Without Comparison to Alternatives
Example: I don't invest in US Treasury bills. There's too much risk.

Anything You Don't Understand is Easy to Do.
Example: If you have the right tools, how hard could it be to generate nuclear fission at home?

Ignorance of statistics
Example: I'm putting ALL of my money on the lottery this week because the jackpot is so big.

Ignoring the Downside Risk
Example: I know that bungee jumping could kill me, but it's three seconds of great fun!

Substituting Famous Quotes for Common Sense
Example: Remember, "All good things come to those who wait." So don't bother looking for a job.

Irrelevant Comparisons
Example: A hundred dollars is a good price for a toaster, compared to buying a Ferrari.

Circular Reasoning
Example: I'm correct because I'm smarter than you. And I must be smarter than you because I'm correct.

Incompleteness as Proof of Defect
Example: Your theory of gravity doesn't address the question of why there are no unicorns, so it must be wrong.

Ignoring the Advice of Experts Without Good Reason
Example: Sure, the experts think you shouldn't ride a bicycle into the eye of a hurricane, but I have my own theory.

Following the Advice of Known Idiots
Example: Uncle Billy says pork makes you smarter. That's good enough for me!

Reaching Bizarre Conclusions Without Any Information
Example: the car won't start. I'm certain the spark plugs have been stolen by rogue clowns.

Faulty Pattern Recognition
Example: His last six wives were murdered mysteriously. I hope to be wife number seven.

Failure to Recognise what's Important
Example: My house is on fire! Quick, call the post office and tell them to hold my mail!

Unclear on the concept of sunk costs
Example: We've spent millions developing a water-powered pogo stick. We can't stop investing now or it will all be wasted.

Overapplication of Occam's Razor (Which says that the simplest explanation is usually right)
Example: The simplest explanation for the moon landings is that they were hoaxes.

Ignoring all Anecdotal Evidence
Example: I always get hives immediately after eating strawberries. But without a scientifically controlled experiment, it's not reliable data. So I continue to eat strawberries every day, since I can't tell if they cause hives.

Inability to Understand That Some Things Have Multiple Causes
Example: The Beatles were popular for one reason only: They were good singers.

Judging the Whole by One of Its Characteristics
Example: The sun causes sunburns. Therefore, the planet would be better off without the sun.

Blinding Flashes of the Obvious
Example: If everyone had more money, we could eliminate poverty

Blaming the tool
Example: I bought an encyclopaedia but I'm still stupid. This encyclopaedia must be defective.

Hallicinations of Reality
Example: I got my facts from a talking tree.

Taking Things to Their Illogical Conclusion
Example: If you let your barber cut your hair, the next thing you know he'll be lopping off your limbs!

Failure to Understand Why Rules Don't Have Exceptions
Example: It should be legal to shoplift, as long as you don't take enough to hurt the company's earnings.

Proof by Lack of Evidence
Example: I've never seen you drunk, so you must be one of those Amish people.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that when hysterical liberals and leftists try to use these principles against conservatives, the resulting torrential outpouring of illogic is even more amusing, albeit very sad.

This may be explained by the following article. I recommend this article highly. Razz

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments

http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html

Justin Kruger and David Dunning
Department of Psychology
Cornell University

Abstract
People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4 studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration to deficits in metacognitive skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically, improving the skills of participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their abilities.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: