SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to CBS News Sponsor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiyall
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply to CBS News Sponsor Reply with quote

The press is NOT acting independently when they run news shows that use forged documents or bogus facts in a transparent attempt to impact a Presidential election. It is contrary to my family's values to hold up a corrupt news organization as admirable, independent or worthy of support.

In addition, I doubt that you would allow your advertising to run on a show with gratutitous nudity, profanity or sex nor would you hire a known convicted felon as your spokesperson. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The argument that CBS is an independent press is specious on its face due to its performance this election cycle.

I stand by my decision to avoid all sponsors that enable CBS News to thrive.

On Thu Nov 04 09:21:07 PST 2004, Consumer Services-Respondents <ConsumerServicesRespondents@genmills.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your email concerning CBS News and 60 Minutes.
>
> We note with concern your strong reaction to CBS News programming.
>
> General Mills has a standing policy of previewing in advance whenever possible
> the programs on which our advertising appears. The purpose of this policy is
> to assure that we do not advertise on programs that are inconsistent with the
> family-oriented nature of our products. While this policy works well with programs
> produced and available for advance screening, the production schedule inherent
> in news makes pre-screening impractical or impossible with regard to news broadcasts.
>
> Any viewer may, from time to time, consider a particular news story to be inaccurate
> or imbalanced. News organizations do sometimes err, and CBS has publicly acknowledged
> that errors were made in this instance. CBS News and Mr. Rather have expressed
> regret and, certainly, a price has been paid in terms of reputation.
>
> As viewers, each of us is free to make a choice. We can choose to patronize
> or not patronize particular programs with our viewership.
>
> But one of the fundamental elements of our society is the independence of the
> press. Errors and questionable judgment are an acceptable price to pay, in our
> view, to assure the presence of a free media in our society.
>
> To withdraw from sponsoring news programming to avoid potential controversies
> - or to attempt to influence or control the content of news through the leverage
> of our sponsorship - would, in our view, undermine that fundamental freedom.
>
>
> We welcome the views that you and others have shared with us on this issue.
> You may rest assured that we will remind the news organizations we sponsor with
> our advertising that the integrity of their reporting reflects on the companies
> and products that advertise during their broadcast.
>
> Hopefully, you will understand our views on this matter - and the importance
> we place on a free press.
>
> Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> General Mills Consumer Services
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Mills was a major advertiser on Sinclair Broadcasting, weren't they? I know, I know, Sinclair let us down, but General Mills didn't. Unless I'm confusing General Mills with someone else, they do seem to stand on the high ground for freedom of the press.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: