SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Can't Believe I'm Losing To This Idiot - Tim Reid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: I Can't Believe I'm Losing To This Idiot - Tim Reid Reply with quote

I Can't Believe I'M Losing To This Idiot Razz

Sam, this is for you. Very Happy
You know what a pivotal role you have played with Chief and all the
others.
I smile about everything to do with IQ now. Smile
Salute.
Mary Ann
November 05, 2004 'I can't believe I'm losing to this idiot'
BY TIM REID
The Democratic challenger repeatedly shot himself in the foot

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1344943,00.html

JOHN KERRY constantly squabbled with his difficult and hypochondriac wife, ran a campaign team riven by internal feuding, and repeatedly begged the Republican senator John McCain to become his running-mate, according to a riveting inside account of his doomed presidential bid. The Massachusetts senator was so obsessed with getting advice from a multitude of rival advisers that one aide confiscated his mobile telephone. His wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, became such a moody distraction that in the closing weeks of the campaign another aide instructed her to stop whispering advice in his ear and back off.

At the same time, according to Newsweek, the relentlessly disciplined Bush White House, which only once descended into near panic after the President’s disastrous first debate performance, became so aghast and delighted at Mr Kerry’s ability to shoot himself in the foot that they almost felt sorry for him.

One of the untold stories of the presidential campaign was the erratic behaviour of the candidate’s wife, the Heinz heiress Mr Kerry married in 1995, according to Newsweek. She drove her Secret Service detail mad with her chronic lateness, constantly demanded attention, including her husband’s (who seemed to tread on eggshells when around her). She even sent him off on errands, such as fetching bottles of water. She clashed with Mary Beth Cahill, Mr Kerry ’s campaign manager, and Mr Kerry was caught in the middle.

At the climax of a coast-to-coast campaign tour after the Democrat convention in August, Mr Kerry’s aides had crafted a family holiday hike in the Grand Canyon, with the candidate’s wife and two daughters, Alexandra and Vanessa. But shortly after the hike began, Mrs Heinz Kerry was soon complaining of migraines, telling her husband that she could not go on.

The end of the hike led to one of the biggest blunders of Mr Kerry’s campaign, one of several times he fell squarely into traps set for him by Mr Bush’s re-election team.

For several days, Mr Bush had been issuing this challenge to Mr Kerry: if he knew before the Iraq war that no weapons would be found, would he still have voted to authorise the war (Mr Bush insisted that he, as President, would still have invaded). Asked this by a reporter at the Grand Canyon, Mr Kerry said yes, he would still have voted to give Mr Bush “the authority” to invade.

In Bush-Cheney headquarters, they could hardly believe their luck that he handed them another flip-flop. But they had always believed that, properly baited, he could be led into a trap. Inside the Bush re-election “Strategery Room” (named after a famous Bush malapropism), a sign above the door read: IT’S THE HYPOCRISY, STUPID, a reference to Mr Kerry’s constantly shifting positions.

The greatest moment inside this room came when Mr Kerry, after days of baiting by the Bush campaign over his vote for the war, but his vote against an $87 billion (£47 billion) request for funding it, told a rally: “I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it.”

“Oh my God,” said Terry Holt, Mr Bush’s communications adviser, as he watched the blunder on television. Mark McKinnon, Mr Bush’s advertising chief, said: “The second we saw it, we knew we had a new ad. The greatest gifts in politics are the gifts the other side gives you.”

Mr Kerry, now in sessions with a speech coach, grew increasingly frustrated. After a faltering press conference by Mr Bush in April, and with Iraq in turmoil, Mr Kerry exclaimed: “I can’t believe I’m losing to this idiot”.

During the early summer, Mr Kerry implored Mr McCain, the maverick Republican who ran against Mr Bush in the 2000 Republican primaries, to become his running-mate, meeting him seven times. He even offered to expand the vice-presidency to include running the Pentagon. “I can’t say this is an offer because I’ve got to be able to deny it,” Mr Kerry told Mr McCain. “But you’ve got to do this.”

Mr McCain told him he was out of his mind, and went on to embrace Mr Bush. “Goddammit,” a furious Mr Kerry said to an aide. “Don’t you know what I offered him? Why the f*** didn’t he take it?” At the time, Mr Kerry also thought that John Edwards, his eventual choice, was overly ambitious. “What makes this guy think he can be president?” he asked staff in February.

After the anti-Kerry Swift Boat veteran attacks in August that questioned his Vietnam service, Mr Kerry’s campaign was in turmoil, beset by feuds, indecision and dithering. Mr Kerry, often generous to his staff but a constant whiner, had reverted to indecision, unable to straighten the mess out.

Enter James Carville, Bill Clinton’s former strategist. So appalled was he by the chaos inside the campaign, and so desperate to see Mr Bush defeated, that in early September he decided that Miss Cahill had to be ousted, and Joe Lockhart, Mr Clinton’s former spokesman, inserted as manager. When he called a meeting with the pair, he was so worked up, he began to cry, screaming to Miss Cahill: “You’ve got to let him (Mr Lockhart) do it!” Mr Lockhart duly took over, and Mr Clinton’s former campaign team virtually moved in. When Mr Kerry telephoned Mr Clinton in hospital hours before his heart bypass surgery to wish him luck, he received a 90-minute lecture. Mr Clinton, correctly sensing that “values” would play a crucial role in voters’ minds, urged Mr Kerry to back local ballot initiatives calling for a ban on gay marriage. (Mr Kerry refused).
smalltowngirl
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mary Ann! I really enjoyed reading that!
USS Endicott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article. Amazing how all of these reports of the Kerry campagin squabbles are coming out after the election. Looks like the media was squashing this news in order to help Kerry.

The article did irritate me some, so excuse me for a little rant.
As I read this, I found myself getting very irritated by the writer and the way he refered to the President as Mr. Bush. The news media, in my opinion, uses Mr. Bush as a term of dis-respect. For the last 4 years, especially in California, the media has called the President - Bush or Mr. Bush or W. The other day I heard a report that started like this: "Bush and former President Clinton". My parents taught me to respect the office of President, regardless of who won, and I would like to see the media show that same respect to the office.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it the other way.
I only called junior officers "mister", not "sir" when I could avoid it, as a sign of admiration.
USS Endicott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, in a "Mr. Roberts" kind of way, I could see using Mr. as a term of respect. However, since the writer also refers to Kerry as Mr. Kerry, I can't see the use of Mr. as a term of respect in this instance. Maybe I'm confused. Isn't the proper procedure to refer to the CIC as President Bush and then after office refer to him as Mr. Bush or former President Bush?
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, having never had the opportunity to speak to a president.
I think you're correct, though, and definetly call a president either "sir" or "mister president".

I'd have still referred to Kerry as "A**hole", though. Wink
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet no one agrees with me that the President won all three debates hands down. Especially the first when he got the Global Test out of Kerry. The best way to deal with an egotistical maniac is to keep your mouth shut and let him open it. The more they talk the more damage they do. I will bet you even today John Kerry does not understand what happened to him. But President Bush took the advice from John O'Neill from the Hannity and COmbs show when Sean asked, "John you have debated John Kerry. What advice would you give to President Bush". John's reply was that, "he lies". So President Bush let him lie and come up with the Global Test which in 1992 HW passed and Kerry still voted against Gulf War 1. John Kerry's debate score 0-3.
Tex
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I can't believe I'm losing to this idiot."

This is what's wrong with the left. They have this intellectual superiority complex. If you disagree with them, you're an idiot. How can anyone with a brain not see things the way they do?

Thankfully, 59 million idiots gave Kerry and the liberals the, "one-finger victory salute". Very Happy
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it certainly looks like the knives are coming out for Kerry. After reading that article, (despite the disrespectful way President Bush was treated) can anyone doubt that America did the right thing by refusing to give this egomaniac what he wanted?

Maria
One of the Stupid and Unteachable Red Staters
scottwea
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tim Reid article misses one of my favorite Kerry flip-flops. When Saddamwas captured, I believe it was Howard Dean who was ranting about how we were not any safer. When John Kerry was asked about it, he said someting like "Anyone who believes the world is not safer with his capture does not have the judgement necessary to be president" In the closing weeks of the campaign he repeatedly insisted we were in more danger because of our unjust attacks on Hussein and Iraq.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:
I have no idea, having never had the opportunity to speak to a president.
I think you're correct, though, and definetly call a president either "sir" or "mister president".

I'd have still referred to Kerry as "A**hole", though. Wink

Nahhhh, just LOSER!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Epilogue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: