SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atrocities and Morale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Atrocities and Morale Reply with quote

One reason the Nazis switched from shooting their victims to gassing them was the extremely low morale of the German infantry soldiers.

One night, a young doorgunner talked to me about the search-and-destroy mission he had been on that day. He was shook up and demoralized. He didn't like barging in on the Vietnamese peasants and searching their homes. "We didn't even knock," he explained.

I explained to him that the United States Constitution didn't apply to the Vietnamese, and if it did, that we were at war therefore it would have been suspended anyway - martial law would be in effect. He mistakenly thought the Constitution protected everyone in the world.

My young friend felt much better after our talk.

Now, if a simple search mission shook up this good, young American, can you imagine the affect that a murderous atrocity would have had on him? This is why I don't believe John Kerry's alleged atrocities really happened in Vietnam on a widespread basis. The American soldier has a big heart.

The enemy knew that and used it against us. Heck, we were barely men; just out of high school. I was 19 when I first went to Vietnam. The kids gathered around us and begged for food and cigarettes. I'd give them whatever sweets I had. The rule was give what you had but accept nothing. Charley was known to booby-trap a kid bearing presents. One Vietnam Veteran said he had no trouble killing a kid after one tossed a satchel charge into the back of a deuce-and-a-half, killing lots of troops. I remember one G.I. who adopted a Vietnamese orphan before going back home. The little fellow was dressed in miniature jungle fatigues just like his adopted dad. Everyone would gather around them and make a fuss. He carried the little guy on his shoulder. I regret I didn't do the same thing.
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Knock, Knock Reply with quote

To show how America has changed over the past few decades, there was a time when the police knocked on your door and identified themselves. Also, a cop would ask if he could check inside your car and trunk. I recall a traffic stop in Los Angeles, when I was a teenager, and the cop asked to check my 1950 Lincoln. I was sweating because there was one little joint in the back cigarette ashtray. He didn't find it.

I gave up the soft drugs after Vietnam. Nam spoiled me; I was accustomed to good quality and extremely cheap prices. Now I get high on life itself.
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend,
You and I only carry the guilt of abandoning a people that hungered for Democracy.
Kerry carries the guilt of lies.
You and I have nightmares, but I'm confident they don't compare to his...

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: