SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angels and Demons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Angels and Demons Reply with quote

Today it hit me. I'll try to put it into words.

My oldest boy has four weeks before he heads to Parris Island. We all know nothing will be the same after he steps onto that bus. He is a most wonderful person. Great future, great plans, and this decision came out of the blue. He'll be the best damn Marine there ever was.

Today, I find myself fighting a war at home to keep my son from your experiences and of allowing those ghosts from the pasts and demons from today to affect the families like that of a remarkable man, Rodney Murray. The night my son enlisted, Rodney's name appeared on my caller ID. It was his widow. We've only met once. But all those months later, and that particular night, she called. She was just beginning to settle into her loss.

I find myself thinking of my Dad, who died four years ago Christmas Day. They were so alike, my son and my Dad. When one realizes the hymn says the streets of heaven are guarded by United States Marines, I had no doubt Dad was working with your lost comrades in this effort. His 'boy' needed him.

And today as I find myself missing him so much because I know he'd move heaven and earth for this boy and I face this Christmas without both of them, there were all your faces looking right at me. I feel Dad wasn't just guarding heaven and earth to help this national effort. He pointed me to you so I wouldn't feel so lost without him. I just love to look at your faces.

In addition to a request for taking this war on the homefront to a victory, I ask your prayers this Christmas.

Semper Fi.

Sincerely,

Julie B. Rose

Rodney Murray Funeral
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Amanda Manning, The Times-Leader
reprinted with permission

Family and friends said their final good-byes to Sgt. Rodney Alan Murray on Monday at Rose Hill Free Will Baptist Church in XXX during a service of worship and celebration held in memory and in honor of the fallen soldier.

Murray, who was killed in a Humvee accident in Iraq last week, was remembered for his love and devotion to his wife, Amanda, as well as his love for children.

Associate Pastor Michael Rowell described Rodney as a soft spoken, yet competitive person who loved his family and friends. Rowell said Rodney was a “man who truly believed in Christ.”

Rowell also said Murray spoke to him about entering into the ministry, saying that he wanted to minister to young people. “Rodney loved the children,” Rowell said. “Rodney had a desire to work with young people.”

Rowell finished by saying good-bye to the man known by many for his compassionate nature and remembered by all for his sense of humor and friendly attitude.

“As a Christian, all I can say is, ‘ I’ll see you later,’ “ Rowell said. “As an American, I say, ‘Thank-you for serving our country.’”

Reverend Leon Harris, the officiating minister, remembered the first time Amanda Loftin brought Rodney to services at Rose Hill Free Will Baptist Church during their courtship.

“It is very rare today to find a young man that is courteous,” Rev. Harris said during the service. “Rodney had a great personality. He could walk in a room full of strangers and leave with a room full of friends.”

Harris said that Murray came to him before he left for Iraq and said he did not want to leave Amanda but felt God was calling although he wasn’t sure at the moment what the calling was. Rodney later found his calling in helping the children in Iraq. Harris recalled pictures of Rodney holding hands with children in Iraq and said Rodney wanted to help give the children in Iraq toys because some had never had a toy before.

Rose Hill Church collected toys before Murray came home in December for the last time and he took the toys back to Iraq to be distributed to the children there. The toys have not been distributed yet but will be given out by Murray’s unit, in honor of the soldier.

Rev. Harris also spoke of Murray’s letters sent back home, to both the church as well as to his friends.

In one letter, Harris recalled Murray saying the situation in Iraq was not being reported accurately by the media. Murray told Harris that the Iraqi people just wanted freedom, like Americans, and the media didn’t report on the good, only on the deaths and explosions.

Harris ended the service by saying Murray would be missed greatly but was in a better place and wouldn’t want his service to be filled with tears and sad songs, but instead would want the service to be a service of worship and celebration. Harris added, that Rodney would want someone to tell a joke.

A graveside service was held, where soldiers held a 21-gun salute and family and friends said their final good-byes to Sgt. Rodney A. Murray: husband, friend, son, teacher, brother and soldier.

Rodney Murray
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Amanda Manning

Pictures of Sgt. Rodney A. Murray adorned the mantle, floor and hearts of family and friends at the Wayne Loftin residence this past weekend as a life recently taken in Iraq was remembered.

Rodney was killed last Sunday — on Mother’s Day — in a vehicle accident between Baghdad and Scania when his Humvee was sideswiped by a passing tank.

Rodney joined the Army Reserves in July of 2000 to earn extra money to pay for college and was called to Iraq on February 11, 2003. The decision to join the Army Reserves was something Rodney and his wife, Amanda, discussed and decided on together, a hint of the kind of relationship they shared.

Amanda remembers clearly the day Rodney was called and says they spent the next three days trying to get Rodney packed and ready to leave. The couple was able to spend one full day together before Rodney left on February 14. He was able to teach at XXXX High School for just two days, two days which left students and staff alike with a lasting first impression.

It was ten months later when Amanda saw Rodney again, on December 16, just in time to celebrate their three-year wedding anniversary. Rodney left again on December 30, making it the last time family and friends saw the young soldier again.

Rodney was remembered by his family and closest friends as a great man with a big heart and to Amanda, that says a lot about the kind of man she married.

“It didn’t take this to know what kind of husband I had, which, I guess makes it harder.” Amanda said. “It shows everybody what kind of man I had for a husband.”

To Amanda, Rodney was not only her husband but also her best friend, something that makes her loss more painful to bear. The hardest part of Rodney’s recent death, according to Amanda, is accepting the fact her husband will never come home.

“The hardest part, I guess, is he’s never coming home to me,” Amanda said. “He’s never coming back. He was my best friend and he can’t ever be replaced.”

Amanda says she and Rodney’s parents, Jack and Stella Murray, have become a lot closer because, for now, it’s the closest she can get to Rodney. Jack and Stella feel the same and say they will continue to think of Amanda as their daughter

“We just got to be there for each other and get through this,” Amanda said.

“Even though he’s gone, we’ve still got our daughter,” Stella said. “We’re glad he brought Amanda to our life.”

Amanda’s parents, Barbara and Wayne Loftin, share in the grief their daughter is feeling, having been introduced to a son-in-law they took in with open arms as one of their own.

“Even though he was not my son, he was my son,” Barbara said.

Amanda says although this experience has been hard on her, the support of the community has been amazing and she couldn’t ask for a better community to call home.

Amanda says she has received flowers and letters from all over, from strangers who have also lost loved ones in wars, from as far as Nebraska to as close as her hometown.

Amanda says the support has been overwhelming and she is appreciative of all the cards, flowers and prayers people have given to both her and her family.

Rodney Murray Remembered
XXXX High School students, parents and teachers held a special event during their annual Award’s Ceremony to honor and remember former teacher, Rodney A. Murray, who was killed in a Humvee accident in Iraq.

The idea for “Operation Toy Soldiers” was formed and sponsored by PTSA and SGA.

PTSA Co-President Julie Rose said the event was held to carry on Murray’s wish to help the children in Iraq. Two large boxes were placed in the gymnasium to collect toys to be sent to Iraq. Students, teachers and parents were all asked to bring a stuff toy to donate to the children in Iraq.

Both before and after the awards ceremony, toys were placed inside the boxes, where members of XX’s JROTC stood in full uniform.

Principal Dr. Barbara Mallory spoke on Murray, saying that although she had never met him, she had received a letter from the young soldier in February. Murray wrote to Mallory that he couldn’t wait to return home and continue his teaching at Ayden-Grifton.

“They told me about a young man who had dreams and goals to teach at XXXX High School,” Mallory said.

Student and Choral Member Shea Webster sang “I Hope You Dance” in memory and honor of the soldier and teacher and a moment of silence was held before beginning with the presentation of awards.

Murray’s parents, Jack and Estella Murray attended the program as well as Murray’s wife, Amanda Murray and Amanda’s parents, Barbara and Wayne Loftin.

The following poem was written by Sgt. Rodney Murray on December 16, 2003.

It is truly worth reprinting for an insight into Murray’s life and his heart. The poem is as follows:

Christmas in the Heart
All I want for Christmas is to see my wife,
Friends and family, be at home, that's all.
The young soldier really meant it.
And a bit of guilt he did feel
Of having his miracle come true;
Though not enough to change his plan;
With no kids to play Santa to, yet,
Some with such would have to stay.
Of all such days, Holiest of Holy,
Every soldier, every national, every vulnerable Citizen of this ravaged land
We claim to help should be able to celebrate.
But cold mornings in a lonely guard shack,
Riding lonely desolate supply routes
Tries to deny the celebratory mood.
And chaos and beastly acts alike
Try to rid others of a celebration of sorts.
A ruthless dictator captured
Becomes a festive celebration to some.
While others will avoid, hopefully,
Festive ending fiasco
In loss of life and will.
That's how they'll spend Christmas
If only that reason to celebrate.
Others cling to hope as their Yule Tide;
Hope for home soon from a foreign land,
Hope for a home,
Civilization in a lack luster land,
Hope for a difference one made
Or hope just to make it out alive, another day.
But it's guaranteed, the soldiers who
Have to stay in an Unsilent Night,
A non Holy Night,
Will instinctively glance at their watches,
When subtracting eight equals twenty-fifth at home.
And they'll silently utter Merry Christmas
From the heart to spouses and brothers,
Friends, loved ones, fathers and mothers.
But there's the rub. Like you at home,
All nestled and nice, calm and comfy,
They'll have Christmas in the Middle East.
For it will be in the heart, in grateful
Honor and remembrance of that Holy Night,
When the world received the greatest gift,
Wrapped in Hope, Grace, Mercy, In Love,
For all mankind.
Such will have Christmas
In their hearts, where it should be.
While others in that land,
The one promised to Abraham's seed
Will know nothing of it.
For they must of followed Ischmael's seed
Instead of Issac's.
No Christmas for them.
Can they even tell you their "Messiah's" birthday?
Death date would probably be easier,
But they'll claim to tell you what he wants
You to do to get to Heaven, maybe even
Doing away with ones that follow
That First Noel-
Cause in it you do nothing to get to Heaven,
Save receive the gift,
The Christ in Christmas.
So, you don't take for granted this Holy Season,
And grumble for lack of parking spaces.
Don't let crowds confound you
Or busy bustle bring a frown to you.
Love the busy schedule of family and friends,
Give in honor of the birth of Him who gave
You All.
Remember, some won't have Christmas,
And some will have it merely in their hearts.

Merry Christmas

Rodney Murray

12-16-2003

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/lee-ann-womack-featuring-sons-of-the-desert/i-hope-you-dance.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: