SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future of Colin Powell?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Future of Colin Powell? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything definite about what Colon Powell might be
doing? One of my liberal friends asked me today if I had heard that
Powell was not going to be part of a second Bush term. I know that
has been the "scuttlebutt" for Bush's entire first term, but I thought
that recently Colon had seemed to be enjoying his job more. I think
that his desire to write a book ($$$$$) and his wife's input will
weigh heavily in whatever decision he makes. I think Bush would be
glad to have him continue to serve. What do you all think?
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Colon Powell fan. I do not even like Colin Powell. Cool

So I am not really the person to respond to this. My personal feeling is that Colin Powell is a big part of the reason we didn't take care of Saddam in Gulf War 1, and.....ah heck. That's enough on Powell. I could go on and on. Have a great pic of Rumsfeld screaming at Powell, taken outside the WH, Condi Rice looking on with an "Oh sh*t" look on her face. Okay, one more thing: if Powell is bailing it is because he may not like the more aggressive war that will be waged now that the election stoopidity is over. But that is purely conjecture.

If Powell is leaving: Adios, Powell.
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I think it would be a great mistake to ever underestimate the value of a man like Collin Powell both as a military comander and a spokesman for the military, especially the Pentagon. He has a lot of valuable experience in the field and it would be a shame to waste it. One might not always agree with him, Lord knows I don't, but that that does not discount the value of his input both as a man and a soldier Smile

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I like Powell, nice guy.

The rumor of his leaving spoken by your friend is a good place to work putting a stop to the DNC propaganda machine.

Sec. Gen. Powell has stated unequivocally, repeatedly that if the president asks him to serve he will, regardless of circumstances. As Powell has stated this the underlying point he makes is 'Who on Gods earth (what kind of Patriot) ' would refuse such a request from the President, any President?

These rumors of Powell leaving began almost as soon as he entered the Cabinet. The Democrats have been playing a very dangerous game for this entire administration, in the way they try to undermine all manner of varied Public Servants credibility.

In Powell’s case he is seen as a universally appealing man across the Political spectrum. Thus as a very strong bit of credibility to the presidents popular appeal he is seen as a necessary obstacle to eliminate.
Today the best they can come up with is a general assertion.

As the days pass they will likely come up with something more inflammatory and personally devastating to the president to try and weaken his Cabinet. Powell will be forgotten until the next time they are desperate to attack someone.

Think of all the out right lies you have heard in the last 4-6 years concerning republicans. How many times have you heard peoples most sensitive personal information 'outed' in a effort to weaken any republican?

I have a theory one of the key reasons the press so hates Bush is because he and the rest of his cabinet are man enough to be impervious to these attacks. This utterly un nerves the press.

Remember the little girl innocently asking Dan Quaile that if she were raped by her brother 'would quaile force her to give birth to the child?'

That question was out of line.... ever since then the DNC has been going at this.

Speculation about Powell........ B.S.
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they have tried to hurt any republican they could since Bush won in 2000.
one interesting thing however, I remember Bush telling o'reily that (in response to a question from him) that he (bush) would not "take on " the media in an election year. I am hoping now that Bush has secured the presidency, he will "take " these guys on.
the media needs a crippling blow.
Timberwolf
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you listened to Bush at the news conference this morning, he told the media to there face that they consider it a SPORT to start rumers and speculate on who's retiring, getting fired etc. etc.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working this morning so I did not hear the press conference,
but I did hear a little of the replays from it on Rush this afternoon.
I agree with Kimmymac about Gulf War I, but Powell wasn't the
only one who felt that way. The UN resolutions did not specifically
call for it either and it was felt that such a move would cause us to
lose our Arab allies. They were also afraid of capturing one of
Saddam's famous doubles and having the real thing turn up
somewhere else to taunt them. In hind sight, it would have been
better to have gotten rid of him then. What I will always remember
about Colon Powell from GW II is the press conference when he
was describing the strategy for the war and said that our troops
would surround the enemy. When a reporter asked him what they
would do then, he said, "We're going to kill it."
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Colin Powell is a good opposite to Rumsfeld.

I like Bush's management style in having a cabinet that provides opposing views instead of all "yes" people like Saddam's cabinet if you catch my drift.

Powell, Rice, Cheney and Rumsfeld provide good solid arguments for the President to hear and then decide. Smart thinking if you ask any good executive.

Anyway, Bush gets people's passion going and sees what shakes out and then makes a decision.

One more item.

This guy still has a football wherever he travels. Like on 9/11. The first thing that I thought of when I heard Kerry say that he'd leave right away was, "What would this guy do with the button?"

It reminded me of Barney Fife, "Where'd I put my gun!"

Cazador
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, there are several favorable trends ongoing,
in the Middle East (Israel fence, new era in Iraq, new era in 'Palestine').
Why would Colin quit now, when we need him more than ever?
MTS17446
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to a good article on Powell staying or going.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137545,00.html
SOLTC
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bush Administration may have the strongest national security team in modern US history.

I really hate these Powell/Rumsfeld Feud stories. DOS and DOD will always be somewhat at odds. This gives the President throughly discussed options on any issue.

Powell, Rumsfeld, and Rice all know their jobs. They are all great Americans, and the all have projects they want to complete.

I hope we see them all stay.
JimRobson
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack: Nice piece of writing. I agree.

http://www.thewebplace.com/
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that these rumors should be automatically dismissed as media propaganda designed to instill doubt and dissention in the ranks. It's time for us to turn the tables on them and invest in a little informational sabotage ourselves. We can'e legally bomb their offices but we can put bombs in their minds with rumors of our own. We can spam the shite out of them and get them to fighting amongst themselves .There's nothing wrong with using the enemies methods as a weapon against them. Mad

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Colin Powell is the right person, in the right job, at the right time. If President Bush asks him to leave, for whatever reason, I'll respect that decision. I'm betting he stays, based on what he's said and how he's performed, but there may be details I'm not privy to. I think he would be hard to replace, personally. He's an honorable man and an asset to our country.
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
Think of all the out right lies you have heard in the last 4-6 years concerning republicans. How many times have you heard peoples most sensitive personal information 'outed' in a effort to weaken any republican?

Yes, and then when the tables are turned, as in Clinton's case, however legitimately the arguments were made (he committed perjury, a felony, etc.) they squeal like stuck pigs...and the fact is that they have the bully pulpit of the media plus the shield of the media to defend Dems in all such cases and destroy their accusers...the field, in that sense, has not been level...and then came the bloggers!! Twisted Evil

BTW, I think Powell does present and appealing & strong moderate Repub (as does Giuliani) and could just split the huge minority voting juggernaut of the Dems for 8 more years...that would be sweet!! Laughing

Thanks W, Swifties, POWs & brave soldiers everywhere fighting for America and for freedom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: