SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiftee, Swifty or Swiftie?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Swiftee, Swifty or Swiftie? Reply with quote

Which is the correct spelling Swiftee, Swifty or Swiftie?
Two years ago I was simply a Viet Nam Veteran or a swiftboat sailor depending upon which website I was visiting; and occasionally I was a swiftboat veteran for the same reason. Through circumstance and the luck of the draw, I served aboard several Vietnamese Navy PCFs as an advisor during '70 and '71. I was never politically active, but voted in every presidential election from 1964 to the present. When I left the service in late '71, I was advised to not wear my uniform while in transit, but to wear civvies instead, so that I could avoid getting harassed and spit on. I did this as a means of self protection, but hated John Kerry and everyone associated with VVAW and their draft dodging friends while doing it.
Earlier this year, in late July, I became aware of Swiftboat Veterans for Truth (now Swiftvets and POWs for Truth) and, as a “Swiftboat Sailor”, I sought membership in the organization, because I saw the organization as a means to correct an injustice heaped upon me and my fellow veterans by the former head of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, John Kerry. I never knew Kerry personally, but I did know him by reputation and the fact that he had been a member of COSDIV13 at one time. This fact was pointed out to me in 1971, by a buddy, while watching AFVN-TV in Vung Tau. Both of us had been attached to COSDIV13, although he was there when Kerry was, but both of us had been shuffled to Vung Tau as Vietnamization was put into effect and US staffing was reduced. I felt betrayed while watching AFVN-TV. This was a fellow swiftboat sailor who had turned against us.
In any case, sometime in the past 6 month, someone, I suspect in the press or media, started referring to us as Swiftees. Anyone got any idea who coined the term? I actually like it. It rolls off the tongue easier than swiftboat sailor. Two years ago, when someone asked what I did in Viet Nam, I would answer, “I was aboard swiftboats.” The standard reply would then be, “What’s a swiftboat?” Today, I don’t have to explain what a swiftboat is. Everyone knows. I would still like to know to whom we credit the term swiftee, and what is the correct spelling.

We were successful in keeping Kerry from becoming CinC. I hope the SOB doesn't rear his head and try again in 2008. If he does, The swiftees will be 4 years older, but ready to take him on again.
cgc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Swift Boat Sailor Reply with quote

BuffaloJack,
Personally I don't like the terms "swifty" Swiftie" or any other form of the SWIFT spelling. I really don't know why, its just a personal preference. I have always referred to myself as a Swift Boat Sailor. What has really suprised me is the fact that to all the best estimates there was only around 2,500 or so of us assigned to the Swift Boats during the entire length of the Viet Nam War. But I think after all the latest news there will be more claiming to haved sailed on the Swifts.

CGC Swift Boat Crew 6C, 68-69
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgc, I think you are probably right. There will probably be a bunch of people claiming to be PCF sailors. It'll be like the fakers who claim to be SEALS. I'll bet that the people who claim to be SEALS outnumber the real guys by a factor of 10 to 1. And, unfortunately, it waters down the term somewhat.
At least most of the public knows what a swift boat is now. That's a step forward, and, I'll take it.
commdog
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will proudly say that I am a SwiftVet vet. I thank you gentlemen for your service, then and now.
/CD
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to call ourselves a Swiftie or Swifties collectively or I am a Swift boat sailor or Veteran when talking to others. It is name we like and we use it fondly among each other or derisive names to each other at reunions, but with love and respect. When I joined the Group 5 1/2 years ago they would not put my name on the 90 boat for a long time, when asked they said, " You could be a wannabe." and I told them the only person that knew what a Swift boat was on them and most others thought of PBRs. Since, Kerry most people now know what a Swift boat is and it has brougnt out some wannabes and we ask a lot of questions before being allowed to join. Hell, the SEALs have had this trouble for decades.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have no documentary evidence, there's a REAL good chance that term was coined by a US Marine. Marines have a LONG history of hanging the "ie" suffix on swabbies. From a Marine, it's a form of endearment. From anyone else, I'd say it was an attempt to diminish the true nature of the brave and heroic sailors who risked their lives on boats with less armor than your average steel beer can of the era.

I'd no more want to call a SWIFT boat sailor a "Swiftie" to his face than I'd call a SEAL a "Sealie" or a Ballistic Missile Submariner a "Boomie".

Unless it was over beers and we'd gotten the introductions handled and all. After all, them swabbies and us devil doggies have 220 years of tradition (unhampered by progress) to maintain.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will defer to the real Swift Boat Veterans as to how to address you. But whatever is agreed to, it should look like this:

SWIFT BOAT VETERAN

I'll never claim to be a SWIFT BOAT VETERAN, but I think I flew over one once. We were returning to DaNang after a close air support mission. We had done the obligatory Hawk run and were circling back for a landing. As we swept out over the South China Sea, we flew over a "PT" boat, and it looked like he was trying to catch a local fishing boat. So we wrapped it up real tight, lit the burners and made another pass over the fishing boat. When we circled back for the third time, the "PT" boat had the fishing boat stopped dead in the water. Somebody on the "PT" boat waved to us as we streaked overhead at 100' and about 400 kts. It's okay to tell war stories on this forum now that The Loser has been defeated, isn't it?

Anyway, we landed and debriefed and went on with the war. I'm sure the paperwork is down in Texas somewhere if anybody wants to look it up. And before anybody thinks it might have been PCF 93, lost on his way to Cambodia, this happened in 1966.

If you think you may have been on that "PT" boat, we were in a Marine F-4B with a rattlesnake on the tail. PM me and we'll compare notes. I took a picture of the scene (from the back seat) and could probably find it in an old foot locker if you give me a couple of weeks.

Thanks for listening. And for you fact checkers, my officer service number was 090512. Very Happy
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To cipher

We would be never be offended if anyone calles us a Swiftie, we were damn proud then and we are Hell of alot more prouder now. And to 1991932, planes use to sneak up from the stern, down on the deck and get right above us and hit the after burner, Jesus that would scare the s**t out of us if we did not see him first.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone, to me you will always be "Sir" It's a respect thing.

Nice job. And you have reason to be proud. You fought a vicious enemy then, and fought an even bigger enemy of the people 35 years later.

You have my thanks, my undying gratitude, and my most profound respect.

Even if you are a Swabbie....
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
To cipher

We would be never be offended if anyone calles us a Swiftie, we were damn proud then and we are Hell of alot more prouder now. And to 1991932, planes use to sneak up from the stern, down on the deck and get right above us and hit the after burner, Jesus that would scare the s**t out of us if we did not see him first.

We weren't trying to sneak up on anybody, mtb. We were probably at 500' on the first pass. That's high enough to be on oxygen for a couple of Marine flyers. We simply stumbled upon the situation.

That's the truth. The last thing you need is two (2) liars from Massachusetts!
commdog
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me sir, but I think you overlooked Teddy.
/CD
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat you flew over may have indeed been a PT. There were PT Boats there also. When I was in Qui Nhon in early 1970 (Jan or Feb) a PT came in to our swift base for refueling once. That's when I first heard the term "Nasty Boat" when referring to a PT. It tied up along several of the PCFs, and, as I recall, The "Nasty" was about half again longer than the "Swifts"; that would make it about 75 or 80 ft versus the 50 ft length of a PCF.
I feel no disrespect whatsoever being called a swiftee (swiftie). I kind of like it. It is just satisfying no not have to go into a detailed discussion involving PBRs and PTs in telling someone that I was on a PCF.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
The boat you flew over may have indeed been a PT. There were PT Boats there also. When I was in Qui Nhon in early 1970 (Jan or Feb) a PT came in to our swift base for refueling once. That's when I first heard the term "Nasty Boat" when referring to a PT. It tied up along several of the PCFs, and, as I recall, The "Nasty" was about half again longer than the "Swifts"; that would make it about 75 or 80 ft versus the 50 ft length of a PCF.
I feel no disrespect whatsoever being called a swiftee (swiftie). I kind of like it. It is just satisfying no not have to go into a detailed discussion involving PBRs and PTs in telling someone that I was on a PCF.

Hey BuffaloJack, I was an advisor at Qui Nhon Swift Boat Base from 8/70 to 7/71.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 66, PTs were doing Black Ops so I do not know if they would be stopping a junk. That was a Swifties job and they covered all areas from the DMZ down. PTs were going North of the DMZ and that was only at night.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgc wrote:
... Personally I don't like the terms "swifty" Swiftie" or any other form of the SWIFT spelling....
mtboone wrote:
...We would be never be offended if anyone calles us a Swiftie, we were damn proud then and we are Hell of alot more prouder now....

Oops! I'm confused and guilty because I routinely refer to y'all as Swiftees because I didn't know any better. I assure you it's meant as a term of profound respect. I first saw the term on page 25 (I looked it up) of UFC where Mr. O'Neill first referred to the Swift Boat "Volunteer (Silky Pony).

John O'Neill wrote:
...Given his extreme opposition to the Vietnam War and his view that it was an immoral enterprise, Kerry's action has always puzzled most Swiftees....

Now, when I was younger, I took great joy in using the term swabbie just to ensure that disrespect was well placed. LOL Now that I'm older and wiser, I even double check spelling and if the term is acceptable, Mr. O'Neill seems to be the authority on its spelling: Swiftee it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: