SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paging Dr. Letson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truthseeker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Paging Dr. Letson. Reply with quote

I think all will agree, charges this stiff need d@mn good proof. Looking forward to release of the book.

My own disclaimer. No particular fan of Kerry, to put it mildly. I didn't serve in the military. They gave me a draft card toward the end of Vietnam days, then they stopped drafting. So far be it from me to criticize anyone's service.

But I am a doctor.

At that level, Dr. Letson, if around, or if anyone knows the facts........I assume Dr. Letson is a physician as in "Letson, M.D." No offense meant, I just want to make sure I got the facts straight.

It is said that Dr. Letson's name appears nowhere on the paperwork regarding Kerry's medical treatment. One side is saying that is evidence that Dr. Letson is making this up. To say something like was said about someone's medical treatment (or lack thereof), if not true, would be unethical enough, but even worse for a physician to misrepresent his treatment of anyone.

So......why is the doctor's name not on the report?

Perhaps multiple people involved, change of shift at an aid station, so maybe one person started treatment and another signed off, or similar explanation.

Forgive me if this question is answered somewhere on the site, I could not find it.

Thanks.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been talked about on another thread, but I can't recall where. But more simply, if someone else treated Kerry and could disprove the charge don't you think they would have brought him out by now?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you've ever served in a military hospital, so please don't think I'm speaking down to you if you have.

In the military, when you go to the dispensary (clinic) for treatment, you sign in on the sick call sheet.

When you are treated, your case's dispensation is noted on a treatment card by the doctor or the attending nurse or hospital corpsman and that card (or sheet) goes into your personal medical record.

Where you signed in on the sick call sheet, a corpsman or a nurse or doctor will make a note of what time you were seen and what time you left the clinic and perhaps other information.

Depending upon the procedures in effect for any given dispensary, the sick call sheet could be signed by the corpsman who takes you from the waiting room to the treatment room or by the corpsman or clerk who checks your dispensation and puts your medical record back into the filing cabinet or some other criteria.

It's possible that Dr. Letson didn't sign anything but prescriptions, just depending on the procedures in effect at that dispensary or field hospital - especially if he had an independent duty corpsman under training, for instance. (Someone getting ready to go out as a medic with a platoon or other unit) The corpsman would have signed everything by direction.

Nothing unethical about it - things were different back then. And you have to remember that documentation was not and is not as important for military doctors. They are immune from civil malpractice suits, so there never has been the same high level requirement for documentation that exists in the civilian world.

Hope that helps,
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory, maybe he didn't sign anything because just as he says, there was nothing to treat. Semper Fi.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
I have a theory, maybe he didn't sign anything because just as he says, there was nothing to treat. Semper Fi.

Right on, Marine4Life! That is entirely possible - in which case, the only real record of the treatment would be the sick call sheet.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Letson was on the Kevin McCullough radio show today. Did a very good job, very credible. I dont recall details now, but explanation is like NNN outlines in her post.
One comment I recall was that when 'officers' came in, the medic{?} would have the Doc take a look.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kerry knew the Swiftvets have issued an untrue ad, he could easily prove it simply by releasing his Military records. His continual refusal to do so says it all, in my book.
SharpTalons
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
If Kerry knew the Swiftvets have issued an untrue ad, he could easily prove it simply by releasing his Military records. His continual refusal to do so says it all, in my book.

AMEN TO WISDOM!! Wink

"In May, 2004, 190 Members of this group signed a letter to Kerry asking him to sign a Navy Standard Form 180, which would authorize the independent public release of all Kerry's war records allowing them to be reviewed in full by the public and press, and allow people to better judge who is telling the truth in this controversy. Thus far, Kerry has not signed the form." --- Human Events Online
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question was answered back on May 5 in an article in the LA Times.
See the recent thread here:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15354#15354
truthseeker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. Thanks to all. Never worked in a military facility, though I do a fair amount of work with the Coast Guard and a National Guard base nearby. I get records on patients from Coast Guard and military facilities, signed off by "Lt. Smith or "Cmdr. Jones" etc., and I don't always know if I'm dealing with a physician, nurse, physicians assistant, etc.

The concept that another person actually did the paperwork for work done by someone else, is something I certainly could understand. More so in a facility fairly close to the action, and even more so a few decades ago.

I gotta put in my order for this book.............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: